(Discworld) reading speed

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: (Discworld) reading speed

Postby huge_vermin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:36 am

I tend to read the books as was mentioned above, at a conversational speed as if the plot is being played out in real time.
the characters and themes flow so well that i can quite often get a few pages on and not really remember turning the pages to get there because the story has just taken on extra dimensions (17 at most)
I too greatly enjoy the audio books, as a mechanic i can just have an earpeice in one ear and plod along with my jobs.
i have to say i greatly favour stephen briggs and nigel planer for the audio books, just cant get in the story as completely with tony robinson reading.
"Double-Blind experiment, N:
An experiment in which the Chief Researcher believes he is
Fooling both the subject and the lab assistant. Often accompanied by
a belief in the Tooth Fairy."
huge_vermin

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

I tend to agree with you there hv he always seems to be a bit stilted and I feel there's something missing afterwards, but I have only one which was replaced by the unabridged version.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I only have one of his as well. A Hat Full of Sky. I do like they put a bit of production into it though. I thought how they handled Tiff's voice echoing through hivertiff was much better then in the briggs version. as well as the two Ms levels talking back and forth.

Plus his Dr Bustle rant as he was losing it was just too perfect. i was literally loling by the end of it.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I can't remember which one it was though I have not seen it in a while. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I would normally read a Pratchett book in a day, sometimes in one sitting then leave it for a week and read it again. Ideally I will then get the Briggs recording when it comes out and listen to it which gives an alternate way of absorbing the material. I will get something different out of all three.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:15 am

I would be very tempted to get the Long Earth audio book, and I hope they put the rest S O T Discworld books on Audible because the 1st was brilliant to listen to I even prefered it to the book version. :shock: :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Almost always in one day, then over and over until I manage to absorb as much of the jokes/notions that Terry put in. In one article he says that there are as many as 5 jokes per page and that one would have to be mad to take them all in at one go.
I keep finding more humor and knowledge from each of the books. lordy, I think I re-read Nation about 15 times. I am currently working on Witches Abroad, Wyrd Sisters and Reaper Man. Being a "shut-in", I have time every night. Sometimes I find myself at 4 am still reading and must force myself to go to sleep.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Audible have put S O T Discworld: The Globe on audio book, great as I can listen to it non stop.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Nomad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:08 pm

I try to read slower, but one book takes up max 3 days, usually 2. The Discworld books and some other novels are so good that I just can't stop reading, so I read them overnight.
I can read almost everywhere, even in the car, although I get carsick. I read books in the bus, at home and in school between lessons.
Nomad

Previous

Return to Discworld novels