(Discworld) reading speed

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby AgnesOgg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:47 pm

if it is a book I have been waiting for (like Snuff) then I read it in 5-6 hours (at nigth...sleep? who needs sleep?), just to get the story.Then I re-read it after a few days, often enjoying to limit myself to a few pages each nigth :) as english is not my first language it often takes 2 or 3 readings to get all the puns and jokes. I think it took a year before I got the Adora Belle Dearheart.... :lol: one has to say it out loud, and I normally don't do that :lol: [/u][/i]
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby Char » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 am

I'm a slow reader really. I like to take my time. :) Most of the time I only read a few pages per day and then when I have a day with not much to do, I'll read through a big chunk. I started reading Snuff on the 17th (I think) and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. I guess it takes me 2-3 weeks to read through a book that length, but really it depends on how busy I am and what I have going on at the time.

I'd say the only books I've ever gotten through in less than a week are by Colin Bateman.
Char

Postby Maura:-D » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:43 pm

I read really fast! I read the 7th Harry Potter book in about three hours, but non-stop. I hardly breathed...
Mostly I read the Terry Pratchett books more than once, because I tend to accidently skip paragraphs, if the next bit looks more interesting. But I read Thud last night, nonstop till like two in the morning, and it took me about five hours. With dinner. And homework.
I'm in school now. I'm tired. I tend to stay up reading a lot- I probably shouldn't :?
LOL :D
"Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."
"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."
Maura:-D

Postby author3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:58 pm

In the school holidays I read books really fast like it would only take me about 2 or 3 hours to read Maskerade but then when school is on I only read before I go to sleep and in the morning so it would take me about 5 days
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby SpyViolette » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 am

It takes me at very least around three days to finish one. I'm in school and I have two free periods which which give me in total an hour and thirty minutes of reading time. And if I don't have anything else I must do, I can get through a couple hundred pages on the weekends. It also helps that I have most of the books on tape as well as in print form, so I don't necessarily need the book to read it. :)
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Re: (Discworld) reading speed

Postby S@mwich » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 am

I can get though one in at least 3-4 days, the only time it takes longer is when the book is moving at a slow pace, I tend to read at the same speed as events in a book, but shorter chapters help me to read faster, but usually there's about a weeks space between books as I need to get to the book store and buy a new book, and some times I'm reluctant to give up my 15 dollars
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby Tiffany » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 am

I am a fast reader too & do tend to skip parts in a book. I can usually finish a book in two days, but if it's one I can't put down, I can, if I have the time, read it in less than a day.
I re-read most books as in skipping parts I probably do miss things in them, even though I get the gist of the story line.
In the last week I have read two books & listened to one unabridged audio book & I'm half way through another. you can't skip those. :D
I have had books I've never finished, because I couldn't get into them after the first few chapters. Never with a TP book though. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I read at talking speed. but i don't read as much as i used to. when i do, its either on the train to and from a friends house (half hour each way) and at work (lunch, breaks) and to and from work when i take the bus. took me, maybe, 2 or 3 days to get through ISWM this way.

but, i also listen to the audiobooks at work (for TP and for several other books). and i generally get through one every day and a half to two days.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tiffany » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:26 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I read at talking speed. but i don't read as much as i used to. when i do, its either on the train to and from a friends house (half hour each way) and at work (lunch, breaks) and to and from work when i take the bus. took me, maybe, 2 or 3 days to get through ISWM this way.

but, i also listen to the audiobooks at work (for TP and for several other books). and i generally get through one every day and a half to two days.

I guess it's no different to having a radio on, if you are allowed a radio on at work.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 pm

They don't complain much if you use MP3 players at work. though occasionally one of them will get on his/her high horse and whine. but that stops after awhile when they realize they'd have to fire me to get me to stop using it at work. :)

I don't play them outloud though. for one itd be harder to hear it, and 2 it'd be hard to explain. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tiffany » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 pm

LOL, Raptornx01.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby One Man Bucket » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Depends how good the book is, how much free time I have and how thick it is but I'd say I can finish one of his books between 3 and 7 hours of solid reading. This might be over days or even weeks if I'm busy
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Homeless Hublander » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am

If I'm really into it I can read a discworld book in a few hours (through a day) but If I'm busy (as I normall am) about 2 weeks just reading it when I'm walking round doing other stuff.
Come check out my (fairly) regularly udated blog - it has words and everything! Honest!
http://rstbt.blogspot.co.uk/
Homeless Hublander

Postby author3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm

I usually take up to a month to finish a Discworld novel because I like to read a lot of books at the one time but if I choose to focus on one book at a time and that book may be a Discworld book it usually takes up to week to finish one :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby MerlinPowered » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 am

Wow you guys read fast. It usually takes me a few weeks to read a discworld novel at best. I am not the fastest reader, and only usually read for half an hour or so before going to bed. I have two little ones who take up the other 23.5 hours of the day.

If I read a whole book in a few hours, I am almost certain my brain would be mush for the rest of the day. :P
MerlinPowered

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels