Night Watch misprint?!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Night Watch misprint?!

Postby thedruidess » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Or should I say misbind?!
I have a US copy of Night Watch, printed by Harper Torch, bought in L.A. last year, or maybe the year before, and everything is fine up until page 25, where all of a sudden I find myself reading a book called Innocent As Sin by Elizabeth Lowell. It looks like that book also is on page 25, so page numbers are correct.
Elizabeth Lowell's book then continues all the way up until page 57, where Night Watch suddenly is back again, continuing in the middle of a sentence, like 32 pages aren't missing at all, so I assume it continues on the books real page 57...
Anyone else seen this?
thedruidess

Re: Night Watch misprint?!

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:19 am

Hi there and welcome to the site. :)

We have seen this sort of thing before - not sure how it happens or how common. I think I'd be as annoyed as hell if it happened to me mid book. :?

Maybe you could contact Harper via email.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sir Samuel Vimes » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

thedruidess wrote:Or should I say misbind?!
I have a US copy of Night Watch, printed by Harper Torch, bought in L.A. last year, or maybe the year before, and everything is fine up until page 25, where all of a sudden I find myself reading a book called Innocent As Sin by Elizabeth Lowell. It looks like that book also is on page 25, so page numbers are correct.
Elizabeth Lowell's book then continues all the way up until page 57, where Night Watch suddenly is back again, continuing in the middle of a sentence, like 32 pages aren't missing at all, so I assume it continues on the books real page 57...
Anyone else seen this?

Who is this Elizabeth Lowell, and why is her book deemed so incendiary as to be hidden in one of TP's masterpieces? :D Also, aren't you supposed to hide illicit material in dull books. :think: I believe that Vetinari does when, in Night Watch, he stitches the camouflage book into 'annecdotes of famous accountants', or something similar? Not sure of the Camouflage author's name in the book - was it Grenville something? He does seem like a Pratchett parady of Abbott Thayer, anyway. At least, he always seemed like that to me. :shifty:
The Discworld: world and mirror of worlds

"The Truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head." -- The Hogfather (footnote).
Sir Samuel Vimes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I had that in a Robert Rankin book once but never in a Discworld one, and welcome to the forum. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm

That's weird. :?
Welcome to the forum though. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Ironic that the book used is Night Watch considering the example Sam up there gave about hiding the book.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Return to Discworld novels