Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

Postby cheery_j. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:40 am

But those books were printed on different paper. I have books that are between 100 and 150 years old and the paper looks fine. However, I also have paperbacks that are about 20 years old and look as if they won't make it another 20.

I have ordered an e-book reader after loooong weighing of the pros & cons. I don't think I will switch to electronic books completely, because it's just not the same (bf already has a reader and I borrowed it for a couple of days to see how it feels). I will still buy books that I want to be able to hold in my hands (favourite authors) and illustrated book. I will also buy the murder mystery books that I share with a couple of colleagues (we take turns buying them and then hand them on).
However, a couple of months ago we did a very difficult but somehow also exciting thing: we put ALL the books we didn't want to read again or didn't want to read at all into boxes and gave them to the charity shop. There were so many there that just took up space. They weren't good or beautiful and really not worth keeping - at least not for us, somebody else might love them, so we set them free. ;)

I want to use the reader mainly for holidays. We tend to take a long summer holiday each year and I always need lots of books for that. If we go to a country where it is easy to get books in English or German the only problem is that I end up carrying a couple of kilos of books around with me. In countries where I don't speak the language well enough to understand books it means serious trouble - nobody wants to spend time with me when I'm bored, not even I. With an e-book reader I can "pack" hundreds of books and people around me can relax.
cheery_j.

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:09 am

I parted with over 500 books when I moved house last year many of which I hadn't opened for years. I collect paperback books from the 1930's and 40's and surprisingly the wartime ones are mainly holding up quite well considering the awful quality of the paper.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 am

It doesn't have to be an either/or thing with books. Neither are going to last forever, and they both have a use (I can fit Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything in my handbag without putting my back out)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 am

I've parted with a lot of books recently. Donated most of them to the library. We just didn't have the room for them. It's probably heresy to type this here, but I'm wondering if I need to hold on to all of my DW books. :shifty:

Wow Mad! What book do you have from 1494?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:49 am

Catch-up wrote:

Ye Olde Browne Stout Booke of Records. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Nothing as much fun Tony. :D It's a commentry on the wisdom in the books of Solomon by Robert Holkot. It's in latin and whilst it is almost entirely printed, because printing had only been invented 40 years earlier the capital letters starting paragraphs are handwritten larger in red similar to manuscripts of the time.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Very cool!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Hvitveis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 am

Catch-up wrote:I've parted with a lot of books recently. Donated most of them to the library. We just didn't have the room for them. It's probably heresy to type this here, but I'm wondering if I need to hold on to all of my DW books. :shifty:

Yup. Def heresy.

shame on you...

;)
Hvitveis

Postby pip » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 am

Catch-up wrote:I've parted with a lot of books recently. Donated most of them to the library. We just didn't have the room for them. It's probably heresy to type this here, but I'm wondering if I need to hold on to all of my DW books. :shifty:

Well done on donating the books. I had a minor clearout by setting up a book swap in work . None of my DW ended up there although i did give three to a friend (they were spare copies).
But i couldn't not have at least one copy of each of the books :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am

You couldn't have done that with a Kindle. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 am

:clap: :clap:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I know! :oops: Can't believe I even thought it, let alone posted it here. :shifty: Can't say I have a full set because I never got Guards Guards back from my nephew, and I parted with Once More With Footnotes. I could never let go of the signed ones of course. Saying it is one thing, actually parting with them is another though. I do have a spotty collection of the Sookie Stackhouse and Dresden Files books. Those could go.
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:32 pm

You know, i find it funny how more and more people are pushing for ebooks for regular published works, but while that is happening there has been this trend lately, this push for fanfiction to get published as real books. there are several works going to print in my other fandom, and i've heard of it happening with other groups as well.

Just yesterday "Fallout: Equestria" had its final formated version sent off to be printed. and despite the 620,000 word story (split into 5 volumes) being $80 people are willing to pay it, even though most of those paying it have read it already and anyone can read it for free.

dunno if thats irony, or just funny.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm

I guess it shows that both might be able to coexist.

Btw: My favourite webcomic, which I'm looking forward to every week, originally appears as a weekly newspaper strip. The author then publishes it online a week later (when the newspaper version has long been used for bin lining and puppy training) and she also publishes a collection every two years or so.

Of course I always buy the books, even though I know all the strips already. I just want her to be able to earn a living by doing something she's good at and I also like to snuggle up in my armchair and re-visit favourite episodes.
cheery_j.

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 pm

oooh, the people behind that video i mentioned (that i posted the animatic for) that my avatar is from, put up a small animated gif showing off a small clip of the final animation for one of the scenes. i synced it with the music (as best i could. gifs aren't the best for that) looking good so far.

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum