Discworld Noir?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld Noir?

Postby Tarthur » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Gah! I've been wanting to play this game so long I'm getting a bad fever, when I'm this close succeeding! I've got a WIndows 7 so lots and lots of problems.

So, I admit, I got my version from the internet. Don't get me wrong, my uncle has/had this game physically; too bad he's missing one or two discs, which is why I must settle for unlawful one. Partly because GOG doesn't sell it, so I cannot feel that I'm guaranteed, that my money goes to straightaway Win7-compatible game.
I found the game in the home of the underdogs: http://www.hotud.org/component/content/ ... ture/21194 and there you can see the download links. Also this page was most useful: http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/tech/tech ... cworldnoir. I shall still write a short guide.

Unrar the game in C\Discworld Noir\ folder. Then unrar the fix with all it's content to the just created folder. (It IS possible to install the game to some other frive if you wish, but then you must edit the DISCNOIR-regfile the correct paths.) Then copy the cd1, cd2, cd3 and cd4 from the folder to the root of C ( -> c:\\cd1\, c:\\cd2 ect.). Then rightclick the tin3_dxd and run it as administrator, and change the screen colours to 16 bit to avoid colour error in windowed mode.

Now we should have the game running, as you click the tin3_dxd. But the game crashes after the intro.
SOLUTION: Click Alt + Enter in the starting screen and go to windowed mode. Start the new Game, watch the intro, and we're playing! After the intro you can click alt + enter to go back full screen.
WARNING! Don't click Resume Game or Options in the title screen. It crashes the game. Insted to load your game, start a new game, watch the intro, in game press F1 and load a game there.

This is how far I've gotten. I still have a problem, that the dialog/sound is not working. The whole foundation of the game is off, the great voice acting and funny dialog, and I don't know what the heck causes it, cause there is the english.smp sound file, that should contain it. If anyone could help me with that, I would be most grateful.

So close but yet so far. :p
Tarthur

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Trying to get the game running seems to be more frustrating than actually playing the game. I don't think I'll bother. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am

It's a nightmare. I did get it running and then eventually hit a problem that one of the characters should have an extra option in their conversation after you have done certain things but the game never recognised that I had done them all. This was after a long time getting nowhere so I checked with a walkthrough to see what I had missed. It turned out I hadn't missed anything but the option which was needed to get any further never turned up.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Molokov » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 am

I haven't tried to install this game on my computers in a very very long time (but I do have the CDs somewhere) - However, if I /were/ to attempt it, I'd probably try and do it under a Virtual Machine running Windows 98 (which I /also/ have the CD around somewhere) - trying to get old games working on a modern system is just asking for headaches - it would be nice if GOG does eventually sell Discworld Noir, as then they do the hard work for you.

I do know the first two Discworld games will eventually (or maybe they already do?) work with ScummVM, but I don't think Discworld Noir was going to be included by them.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Tarthur » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Molokov wrote:I haven't tried to install this game on my computers in a very very long time (but I do have the CDs somewhere) - However, if I /were/ to attempt it, I'd probably try and do it under a Virtual Machine running Windows 98 (which I /also/ have the CD around somewhere) - trying to get old games working on a modern system is just asking for headaches - it would be nice if GOG does eventually sell Discworld Noir, as then they do the hard work for you.

I do know the first two Discworld games will eventually (or maybe they already do?) work with ScummVM, but I don't think Discworld Noir was going to be included by them.

Yeah, Virtual Machine might be the best option, my dad said he would have that kind of program somewhere from his engineering studies. Though I'm not 100% sure if I want to install the system for just one game. :P I guess I'll just try banging my head for a while longer first.

Oh yes, the first two Discworld games work mighty fine with ScummVM! The problem with Discworld Noir is that it is made with a different engine that Scumm, so quite probably it won't be ever added in the program. :(
Tarthur

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:59 pm

I friend of mine got it working, no idea how (I'm not very technical :P ) But it works, more or less :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Hvitveis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:58 am

I want to play it this summer, if my computer-literate brother figures out how to do it, I'll post it here. ;)
Hvitveis

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:42 pm

You can buy a programme to make it run on later windows versions.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Hvitveis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 pm

finished...

it is still as good as I remember!

8-)
Hvitveis

Postby bplumb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:35 am

Hvitveis - any idea how you got it running in the end? I have video but no sound and cannot access subtitles menu...any help greatly appreciated!
bplumb

Postby Molokov » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:55 am

I loaded Win98 onto a Virtual Machine (under Virtual Box), and tried installing Discworld Noir. Installation went OK, and the game even ran through to the start screen and the opening cut scene for a new game - but then died at the point where game play was supposed to start.

Any clues on how to get it working either under a VM (Win98, Win XP) or natively under Windows 7 would be appreciated.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby FreebirthOne » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 pm

How to play Discworld Noir on Windows 7 how it was ment to be played

Preliminaries
    Step 1
    * Install into a folder on root of c:, full installation
    * copy contents of Folder CD3 to CD 1
    * Download the fixed exe from http://m0005.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc ... noir.shtml
    * execute the commands shown there
    try the game
    --> If you can start the game and can see the intro after pressing "New game" , everything is okay. If not, please search the web how to do so :)
    * Quit playing by pressing "Esc" several times. The game will crash almost certanly

Step 3
    * download the "tinycursors" cursor from http://www.rdpslides.com/tinycursors.zip and extract the "nothing.cur" somewhere
    * open the "mouse"applet in the ctrol panel and navigate to the pointers tab
    * here click on "Browse" on the lower right, navigate to the folder you extracted the nothing.cur to, and double-click on it
    * now click on "save as" in the upper left and give it a good name, like "hidden" or so
    --> from now on you always can choose this theme if you want a invisible cursor.

Playing
    Step 1
    * open the Control Panel
    * open the "Display" applet, navigate to Screen resolution --> Advanced settings, Tab "Monitor"
    * on the lower left, select the "Color depth" and set it to "High color (16bit)
    --> Now you can play in "Window Mode" with all colors intact

Step 2
    * start discworld noir again, using the switched exe from above
    * before doing anything enter the "window mode" by hitting "Alt+Enter"
    --> this prevents further crashes. I'm not really sure, why; but in true fullscreen it always was a risk not to save very often...

Step 3
    * start winexp from the folder you extracted it above
    * select the "Diwscworld Noir" entry from the list
    * In the "Style"-Tab deselect "WS_BORDER" and "WS_DLGFRAME"
    * In the "Size and Position" Tab, set "Left" and "Top" to zero as well as the width and height to your current screen resolution
    --> Now you should have a window with the game running in it, fullscreen and without borders, just like a real "fullscreen"

Step 4
    * open the "Mouse" applet like above, choose the "Hidden" theme and apply it
    --> Now you got rid of the really anoying Desktop mouse, and can enjoy the ingame one

Enjoy playing :)

Further Tips and Tricks:
    * If not done before, set your task bar to auto-hide in the Settings for "Task bar and Start menu" tab "Task bar"
    * If you want to load a previous game you don't have to start one first. just press F1 in the menu screen and choose "Load game"
    * When you change something in winexp and nothing hapens to the game windows, please select it again in the windows list...

Well, I hope I could help a bit. I was having several wonderful evenings playing this great game how it was ment to be played :) and that withound mendling with Virtualisation or such things.

A, yes: if anyone can tell me how to automate some things it would be great...
FreebirthOne

Postby Mixa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:23 pm

Wow, super interesting! Thanks FreebirthOne! ;)

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby GAN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 am

Oh I don't remember - I REMEMBER. I think it's the best dark fantasy detective adventure. Well the one with humour - surely.
And about books Pterry can write: why not novellisation of "Noir"? I'd read this Lovecraft humor version of "DW" immediately! :)
O'K, here's a signature. :)
GAN

Postby Ghost » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:19 pm

the game is about 15 years old and it took and adapted a lot of plot lines from the other books in series
meaning creating and padding the story out into a full novel or short story is more work than it's worth

mind you as a personal note I was lucky enough to just get into Discworld around about the release date of
Noir and found a brand new copy for the PS1 at about £15
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Games