The Long Earth - countdown

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Long Earth - countdown

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm

(sigh) we didn't get it. Its possible the anderson vendor hasn't been there yet ( i rarely see him since i work nights) but i don't hold hope unless it becomes a massive best seller.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 pm

This is the Waterstones with the Metalic cover and the extra story in it.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Molokov » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 pm

What is the 'exclusive story'? Is it a new short story or something previously published (as per the Snuff special edition that included A Collegiate Casting Out of Devilish Devices, which was originally published in the Guardian)
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:10 pm

It was the original story which the Long Earth evolved from I think it's called Micca's World but I will check it out when I go into the shop later today.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Molokov wrote:What is the 'exclusive story'? Is it a new short story or something previously published (as per the Snuff special edition that included A Collegiate Casting Out of Devilish Devices, which was originally published in the Guardian)

Here it is:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:It was the original story which the Long Earth evolved from I think it's called Micca's World but I will check it out when I go into the shop later today.

How does Waterstone's get to do that? I assume they pay extra for the privilege, but what is the point, other than providing another hard to get item, this one not available outside the UK (and certain international airports, I assume)? I thought Sir Terry was against leaving evidence of story development for scholars to fight over.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:32 am

=Tamar wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:It was the original story which the Long Earth evolved from I think it's called Micca's World but I will check it out when I go into the shop later today.

How does Waterstone's get to do that? I assume they pay extra for the privilege, but what is the point, other than providing another hard to get item, this one not available outside the UK (and certain international airports, I assume)? I thought Sir Terry was against leaving evidence of story development for scholars to fight over.

They do that regulary they did it with Snuff and not only but also produce a slipcase limited editon I believe they may post worldwide.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:03 pm

I read through The High Meggas earlier this week and it isn't worth buying the metallic cover version for :roll:

The slipcase limited edition is limited to 1,000 copies, it isn't signed but does have a large rubber stamp mark saying it is the limited version and also gives the edition number, mine is number 40.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I toyed with idea of getting one but not sure, I may wait for a while if the price comes down to around £20.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

WARNING SPOILERS

A link to the Front Row show on BBC Radio 4. An interview with Terry and Stephen Baxter. I don't know how long it will be available or if it will be available overseas. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 am

Was really happy to see this in the grocery store so I grabbed it! :D No extra story in mine though. Boo. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:48 am

Got it... one of only two in the big bookstore. Compared to stacks and stacks of copies of the latest popular tripe... there's no justice. But at least it was prominently displayed on the New Releases table up front.
=Tamar

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am

The Long Earth promo in Trafalgar Square. Interviews with TP and SB.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 am

I knew a few people in the crowd there. :D One of which was immortalised in a recent DW book.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 pm

What was that shiny thing on Terry's left earlobe at 1:57? It wasn't there earlier. Knowing him, I'd have thought it was a microphone, but was it?
=Tamar

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books