Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am

Not at all - the online translator was pants! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: russian language)

Postby Natalya » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:32 am

Wonderful topic! :)
Привет, Алтайский Волколак! ;) Классный английский, респект! ;)
Hi, Volkolak, nice English! Respect! :)
Some years ago I had worked in Novokuznetsk (ZapSib complex). This is not Altay, but near of it, I think... Very ... strong and beatuful nature, fantastic! Very good (or "kind"?) peolple. the best reminiscences!
Фантастическая природа! Очень добрые и вообще замечательные люди? самые лучшие воспоминания! :)
We (I and my colleagues often argue after our English lessons: "Is English more easy than Russian?" Usually we agreed to each other: “ (Hren red’ky ne slasche)" = " horseradish is not more sweet than radish" (from my e-dictionary: “≈ between two evils 'tis not worth choosing”, but I think it's irregular phrase!) :)
As for “million-to-one chances happen nine times out of ten” I think (but I am not completely sure of that ) it’s mean “Один шанс на миллион это столько же, сколько девять из десяти”, and this is from “Guard! Guard!”, am I right?
Last edited by Natalya on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Volkolak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 am

о! земляка)))))
thanks for a help in this topic)
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

эээ....а кто-нибудь тут Русский знает? = )
Volkolak

Postby Toothy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 am

Excellent thread. :D

I'd always heard B pronounced as an English 'v' though. I had to pick up some phrases when visiting Moscow and St Petersburg some years ago, including the word for goodbye which has it in there -До свидания

If it helps, Ж ж sounds like "s" in usual or pleasure. That's somewhere between g and j as suggested. :)

Maybe we should ask Transworld for an audio thread so we can hear the words. I love the sound of Russian! :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Volkolak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:19 am

Toothy wrote:Excellent thread. :D

I'd always heard B pronounced as an English 'v' though. I had to pick up some phrases when visiting Moscow and St Petersburg some years ago, including the word for goodbye which has it in there -До свидания

If it helps, Ж ж sounds like "s" in usual or pleasure. That's somewhere between g and j as suggested. :)

Maybe we should ask Transworld for an audio thread so we can hear the words. I love the sound of Russian! :D

thanks for addition about "Ж")
you said "Maybe we should ask Transworld for an audio...." what it's mean? =) you wont listen audiobooks into russian? or something else? =)))
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

Volkolak

Postby Toothy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 am

Volkolak wrote:you said "Maybe we should ask Transworld for an audio...." what it's mean? =) you wont listen audiobooks into russian? or something else? =)))

I was thinking it would be good to allow some text to be heard not just read, so we could all click on various parts of the alphabet you put on page one of this thread and we could hear you pronounce each symbol we clicked on. :) It's probably a bit too advanced for the software used for the forum though. :(
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Volkolak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:25 am

i think, that if you want to go in Russia, you must learn some words. it's short list of most important words (on my view):
-where is....? (gdye......) how much.... (skolko....?) how i can go to.....? (kak mnye projti....?) sorry (izvinite) hello (privet) thanks (spasibo)
-where is toilet? (gdye tualet?)
-where is police-office? (gdye otdelenie politcii?)
-drugstore - apteka (АПТЕКА)
-market - magazine (МАГАЗИН, БЫСТРОНОМ, СУПЕРМАРКЕТ)
-toilet (ТУАЛЕТ М (man) Ж (woman))
-buffet (or cafe) = БУФЕТ,КАФЕ, ЗАКУСОЧНАЯ, СТОЛОВАЯ.
-police - office (ПУНКТ ПОЛИЦИИ or ПОЛИЦИЯ)
-and, "show me the direction of hand" (pokagite mnye rukoj)
-(in shop) Write the sum (price) on paper (napishite summu na bumage)
:-)
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

Volkolak

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:58 am

I knew about spasibo :D And isn't "I don't understand" something like (OK, don't laugh, never seen it written :P ) "nye panjemaju" (????)
I used to know how to say I love you but I think I have made enough damage for today as it is :lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Antiq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 am

I'm sorry to say the only Russian I know is da, nyet and Pravda :oops: Oh well, at least I can decline, accept and declare my honesty :lol:
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am

I used to know a couple of obscene phrases from when I used to read Sven Hassel books about 35 years ago. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Volkolak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Toothy wrote:
Volkolak wrote:you said "Maybe we should ask Transworld for an audio...." what it's mean? =) you wont listen audiobooks into russian? or something else? =)))

I was thinking it would be good to allow some text to be heard not just read, so we could all click on various parts of the alphabet you put on page one of this thread and we could hear you pronounce each symbol we clicked on. :) It's probably a bit too advanced for the software used for the forum though. :(

if you want, you can call me in skype)
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

Volkolak

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum