Hope quote?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hope quote?

Postby archerinwood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Sorry for the long absence. I need some help in finding a quote saying that hope is the best thing in life or something like that. Any help?
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Re: Hope quote?

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi Archer! Good to see you again. Is this perhaps a Biblical quote? Or is it from one of the Discworld books?

I'm reminded of the Red Dwarf episode that talks about Rimmer's parents:

Wiki wrote:In the UK television show Red Dwarf, an obscure fundamentalist Christian sect on Io based its worship on a Bible wherein 1 Corinthians 13:13 reads "Faith, hop, and charity, and the greatest of these is hop." The sect is consequently known as "Seventh Day Advent Hoppists" and members spend every Sunday hopping. Arnold Judas Rimmer's parents were members of this sect and raised him accordingly, but he appears to have left the faith.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 am

Vetinari talks about hope in Going Postal. Or is quoted anyway. I think it's early in the book when Moist is upset about being set up to think he might escape.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:53 am

You may be right =Tamar. :)

In which case the quote is on page 15 (Corgi paperback). Moist is talking to Mr Wilkinson, the warder after trying to tunnel through the cell wall.

Terry Pratchett in Going Postal wrote:'Some people might consider this cruel, Mr Wilkinson.'
'Yes sir. we asked him [Lord Vetinari] about that, sir, but he said no, it wasn't. He said it provided-' his forehead wrinkled '-occ-you-pay-shun-all ther-rap-py, healthy exercise, prevented moping and offered that greatest of all treasures which is Hope, sir.'
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:48 pm

It's also part of the chapter headings of the same book, which states "In which our hero experiences Hope, the greatest gift".
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Going Postal and Making Money have a few good quotes about hope...usually in the context of it being the only thing left when the train is heading off the trail or something like that. I'll have to look for them.
raisindot

Return to Discworld novels