Towel Day Inspiration

Moderators: Tonyblack, Jason, Toothy

Towel Day Inspiration

Postby wub » Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm

For me, Towel Day is full of strong emotions of all sorts. I read Douglas Adams' Wikipedia page today, and noticed an icon near the top I had not seen before. It turned out to link to an audio recording of someone reading the page, and fittingly it was in 'ogg' format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_vorbis, if you are new to the term). This collision of literary references inspired me.

I decided I would like to attempt to contact Terry Pratchett to learn what his thoughts might be on a fitting public remembrance and celebration of his life and work, while there is still a chance to consult him on the subject. I have never attempted to contact a beloved author before, so this seemed like the most appropriate way to start.

Cursory searching on this forum and did not turn up anything that seemed to answer my question: if I missed something, consider this my apology, and thanks in advance for a pointer.
wub

Re: Towel Day Inspiration

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi wub and welcome to the site. Terry isn't so easy to get in touch with, but you might try contacting him through Colin Smythe, his agent. :)

Not only Ogg, but Vorbis too. :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:56 am

I can't remember which way round it is. But one of the words 'Ogg' or 'Vorbis' is named after Pratchett the other was named after something else.

Colin Smythe's email address is: cpsmythe@aol.com

Opps, I ses that the wiki page above explains what I just said better.

'Vorbis' is named after the character from Small Gods whereas Ogg isn't named after Nanny Ogg.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason
Site Admin

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 am

I wonder if it's named after Ogham. :)
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Return to Terry Pratchett