What made you smile today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 5

Postby pip » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 am

Cheers :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Natalya » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

Pip, Tonyblack, Meerkat - thanks, my pleasure! :)
Sometimes It need go out for return in future /Sometimes It worth go out for return after.. ;)
Pip, I join to Meerkat (If you don't mind): Hope Baby Pip and Mummy Pip are happy and well, very much!
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Bouncy, I loved that! :D

Natalya, good to see you back and glad you're enjoying your reading!

Meer, good to see you back too!

Pip, sorry the little one is making you both wait. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

This was yesterday, but what made me smile was already having enough lettuce in the garden to make a salad for lunch. And, the tomato plants already have blossoms on them, so soon we'll have tomatoes too! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Natalya » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Congratulations, Catch-up! :)
Is your weather fine now, neither hot nor cold ?
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Penfold » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Great to see you back Natalya, I really like the Tiffany books and hope you enjoy them as much as I did. :D

I've just gotten up (in preparation for today's night shift and I've not even had a sip of my wake up coffee yet) only to discover a letter from the Inland Revenue waiting for me. I have just read it and I have a rebate due for just over £600! :shock: :D :D :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Get in! :clap:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Nice one, Penners! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm

It is just about the right amount, to cover the shortfall in funds, which will allow me to buy the two new lenses I want (upgrades on my current ones) on payday. :D This is assuming that they send me a cheque rather than spread it out by reducing my tax payments each month. :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm

I got sent 4 letters just before Christmas from the Revenue, all telling me that I had various amounts owed from over-paid tax in several tax years.

Total came to around £150.

Only got one cheque (for forty something quid).

When I rang up they gave some convoluted reason why it was carried over to this year and that year, and the dog's left leg was involved.

:?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Watching Men In Black3 in 3D. Good film.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Congratulations Penfold!

Natalya wrote:Congratulations, Catch-up! :)
Is your weather fine now, neither hot nor cold ?

Yes. :D We've had some gorgeous days.
Catch-up

Postby Toothy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote: When I rang up they gave some convoluted reason why it was carried over to this year and that year, and the dog's left leg was involved. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This evening was the first night's performance of our theatre group's show (singing and a few sketches) and for the past 3 days I'd lost my voice (no comment! ;)). Fortunately, it miraculously came back for my big number! Hurrah! :D The show went really well and the audience participation was great! Two nights to go and then I can rest! :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Some mothers do have em! :mrgreen:

Contagion! How not to stop a computer virusOne user's overactive imagination spawns creative theories on how computer viruses are spread
I've met a number of users over the years who don't understand how technology works at even a basic level. They can go through the motions of what's needed to do their jobs or simple personal computing, but that's it. You explain what's happening the best you can, make sure the problem gets fixed, and steel yourself that you'll be hearing from them frequently.
Here is a story about one such encounter that prompts a laugh when I need it and reminds me to stay patient and courteous when the conversation seems to be going in circles.
Our IT help desk provided support for business and home users, and one day I received a call from a customer we'll call Bob who was having problems with his personal computer.
The conversation went something like this:
Bob: I think I might have a virus on my computer.
Me: What is your computer doing that makes you think it has a virus?
Bob: It's been running really slow recently, and I'm getting a message on the screen saying I have multiple viruses and I need to send in $50 to get them removed.
Me: It does sound like you have spyware, a virus, or even a fake antivirus program trying to get you to send them $50.
Bob: How bad is it? Will the virus spread?
Me: It's possible that it could spread or get worse. I highly recommend you power down your computer and bring it in to our shop so we can scan for viruses, remove them for you, and check your antivirus software.
Bob (sounding very concerned): I can't make it in today. Will my other computers be OK if I wait until tomorrow to bring the infected one in?
Me: You should be OK if you power down and unplug your computer.
Bob: My computers are placed very close to each other. Will the virus escape when I'm not looking?
Me (trying not to laugh): No, that won't happen.
Bob: But the case has small holes on the back. Will the virus be able to crawl out of those holes and get to my other computers?
Me: No. Computer viruses don't spread that way.
Bob: Are you sure?
I told him that if he shut off the infected computer that all would be fine. Then I went through a basic description of the way computer viruses spread and precautions he could take to minimize his chances of getting a virus on the computer again. Apparently, my explanation was not understood.
Bob: OK. But are you sure the virus won't crawl out of the case and into my other computer when I turn it off?
Me: Yes, I'm sure.
Bob: I think I'll put it in my car for the night to keep it isolated.
I fought the urge to tell him to bring the computer in immediately and to wear gloves to keep the virus from infecting him. But I held my tongue.
Me: OK, if it makes you feel safer that will be fine.
Bob: I'll be in tomorrow.
Me: OK. See you then.
Click.
It took me a while to stop laughing after that call.
I guess there never is a boring day in IT. And if computer viruses really worked the way Bob thought, we'd all be in big trouble.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Toothy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm

:lol:
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum