Re: blade runner

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm

:lol: Yes, The Time Machine movie is much better than the book. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 pm

ramtopsman wrote:MOON

Is one of my all time favourites as well. :) .
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 26, 2012 12:24 am

I enjoyed it too. But I think that once you've seen the twist in the plot, it loses something. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 am

Yeah, true. I couldn't think what was gonna happened after the reveal though. It's a testament to Sam Rockwell that I watched the film & didn't once think, Is he the only person in it? A really, really good bit of acting.

Because I should say something about Blade Runner. It's an incredibly mesmerising film. Rutger Hauer is the reason I've watched it many times. His death scene has got to be one of the all time great movie death's.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby raptornx01 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I enjoyed it too. But I think that once you've seen the twist in the plot, it loses something. :?

did you see it coming, or was I the only one?

(and i'm usually dense to that kind of stuff)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 26, 2012 2:12 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I enjoyed it too. But I think that once you've seen the twist in the plot, it loses something. :?

did you see it coming, or was I the only one?

(and i'm usually dense to that kind of stuff)

Nah, I didn't see it (I was actually watching it on a flight from US to UK and couldn't see much of anything :lol: ) but did realise that something wasn't right.

I'm usually pretty good with whodunits though. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Wed May 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Quatermass wrote:Greatest science fiction film ever? Well, that's very subjective. If we're talking influential, none can have more influence than Metropolis. Without that, no Star Wars, no Blade Runner.

Gotta disagree with you there. By that reasoning, you could argue that Metropolis wouldn't have been possible with Meleis' (sp.) "Voyage to the Moon." As great as Metropolis is, it never started a stampede of similar dystopian SF movies immediately after it came out, and Fritz Lang never did anything like it ever again. Star Wars was far more influenced by the cheesy Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s and 40s and by Star Trek and Lost in Space, which were, in turn based more on the cheesy pulp SF space opera stories and novels of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Blade Runner was far more influenced by Stanley Kubrick's genius of mis-en-scene in 2001 and A Clockwork Orange than by Metropolis.

For me, 2001 is the best and most influential SF movie ever. Before it, most SF movies were either glorified space operas (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Forbidden Planet), invasion/monster movies (War of the Worlds, Godzilla, Them, and its ilk), or commie paranoia (Invasion of the Body Snatchers).

2001 was the first movie that made the science part of SF the central theme of the movie, relegating 'humanity' in a secondary role. In terms of realism, atmosphere, and intelligence, combined with slow pacing that truly mirrored what the monotony of space travel would be like, it changed the genre completely.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:17 am

I have to agree with raisindot there as much as I quite enjoyed Metropolis, 2001 was the definitive one for me it did leave quite an Impression as did the 1st Star Wars one. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Willem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen Blade Runner. There's still hope though, I didn't see any of the Terminator films until about 3 years ago either..
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Willem wrote:I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen Blade Runner. There's still hope though, I didn't see any of the Terminator films until about 3 years ago either..

Read the book! 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' by Philip K Dick. The film is stunning, but the story makes much more sense in the book. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 pm

ramtopsman wrote:One Word Movie

MOON

Greatest Sci fi movie ever Blade runner was fantastic but MOON is what sci fi should be tense good looking and plays with your mind all the way through

Directed by Ducan Jones (David bowies son

I did not know that! What was wrong with being called Zowie Bowie?? :lol: Very good film too
spideyGirl

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Was that book adapted into something else as well? a movie, or episode of a series?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Its been taken down My croft.

In the top 3 for me is 2001 with the cold war still going strong in real time, and on board is a Russian played by Leonard Rossiter so no cold war and today we have now our own 2001 SPACE STATION good foresight on both parts.
Blade Runner directors cut, again a really insightful film loved it. and I forgot to put it back in my list
Star Wars, Magnificent 7 in space another film I really liked for the content, which both was taken of Seven Samuri,by Akira Kurosawa. edited to addMatrix, cyberpunk and nano techolgy for the masses.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Was that book adapted into something else as well? a movie, or episode of a series?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Not as far as I know. Although there have been spin-offs from the Blade Runner movie I think. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Jammie02 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:39 am

I like Avatar, Blade Runner and most of dystopian movies. I have also created a list of my favourite movies at ranker. I hope other also like my choice and selection.
Jammie02

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre