Discworld character appearances

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld character appearances

Postby S@mwich » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 pm

When ever I read I book I always disregard the authors description of a place, thing or character. I know to some this may seem odd, but I prefer to fuigure out my opinion of a character apperence on most occasions, occasionally I do agree or take heed of (as I like to put it) the authors 'suggested apperence', occasionally I Also use the cover art.

Lately I've noticed that the biggest place in which I do this is the discworld, and I decided to find out if any one else does this, and if so what sure their ideas on the apperences of particular discworld characters.

I shall do this by posting the name of one discworld character about every two days, along with terry pratchetts description and my opinion.

(sorry if this has been done before)

Let's start with nanny ogg then shall we?
Terry describes her as quite old and plump and with a sort of wisend apple face.
But I based my opinion of her off josh kirby's cover for weird sisters, whilst in the scene the cover depicts it should be nanny in the stocks, I could not fathom the picture in the top left hand corner being granny... Hence I get a sort of middle aged apperence with a bun and brown hair...

So let the opinions begin? :?
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Re: Discworld character appearances

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Too be perfectly honest, I don't really have set ideas of what the characters look like. Terry hardly ever really goes into detail and I try not to get distracted by the images on the covers or in the films. I most certainly have never been influenced by Josh Kirby's versions. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm

I have a shape in my head more than an image to be honest . Some of the later characers i've been influenced by the Kidby covers and art but the older ones not so much. I agree that Kirby got Granny very wrong
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I always picture granny as Tyne Daily (particularly as she appeared in Judging Amy), and have never been able to get it out of my head. even the voice (which is really odd since most of my exposure comes from the audiobooks :lol: ) dunno why. based on the descriptions in the book she'd be more suited for nanny (though she is a might tall).

Also the cosgrove hall version of magrat is exactly how i pictured her even before seeing any of the eps or images from the show. despite the fact the hair is nothing like how she is described.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I can never compose faces in my head, so it's a bit like Pip, that I see shapes...but it often happens that have an image of a character and later on it turns out they have a totally different hair colour or are taller/stronger, whatever (for example I just can't imagine Angua with blonde hair... she's always been rather dark to me.)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby =Tamar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:41 am

S@mwich wrote:Let's start with nanny ogg then shall we?
Terry describes her as quite old and plump and with a sort of wizened apple face.
But I based my opinion of her off josh kirby's cover for wyrd sisters, whilst in the scene the cover depicts it should be nanny in the stocks, I could not fathom the picture in the top left hand corner being granny... Hence I get a sort of middle aged appearance with a bun and brown hair...

Terry has described Nanny Ogg as having short curly white hair. She also has only one tooth.
I go by the Paul Kidby illustrations for the most part.
=Tamar

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm

michelanCello wrote:for example I just can't imagine Angua with blonde hair... she's always been rather dark to me.

Really?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ziriath » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I've always imagined Vetinari without the beard, and still I do. My image of him is based on the earlier Discworld books, where he did not have one (or it was not mentioned).
Ziriath

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Ziriath wrote:I've always imagined Vetinari without the beard, and still I do. My image of him is based on the earlier Discworld books, where he did not have one (or it was not mentioned).

I believe it was simply not mentioned, which allowed some variation in interpretation. Terry said he only really thought of Vetinari as bearded after he saw Stephen Briggs in the role.
=Tamar

Return to Discworld novels