10%
The Matrix
12%
Star Wars - A New Hope
12%

Total votes : 42

World's Greatest Sci Fi Film Ever - THE VOTE

Postby Penfold » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 am

The nominations have been collated and with only three movies getting five or more nominations, I chose to include all the films that received four nominations as well. I've tried selecting the '3' options per user, so everybody has three votes to cast. I've also ticked the box to enable users to change their vote should the need arise (hope these work). Feel free to reveal and discuss your choices. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: World's Greatest Sci Fi Film Ever - THE VOTE

Postby pip » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 am

I'll stick with the three from my original vote, Terminator , Planet of the Apes and Balderunner :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

I can't believe that Dark Star didn't get through! :shock: :lol:

It's very obscure and clunky in the CGI dept now, but it was a brilliant spoof of 2001

"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

Dark Star had CGI? :think:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

Of course not! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am

Didn't think so. I'm sure the original Star Wars had CGI, but very primitive stuff used for the computer simulation during the Rebel briefing.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am

Voted! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 am

well for a start I'm shocked, shocked that Quatermass and the Pit didn't make the final list. That said, the first two were easy - Star Wars changed everything for SF. Everything. The release of SW was a watershed moment for the whole genre. At the time I wasn't much of a fan of it - I was already a SF fan and also a fantasy fan and I didn't really like the way the film mixed the genres up: it seemed neither fish nor fowl - looking back I can see I was too blinkered.

The Matrix was such a great idea and so well made - every shot just seemed perfect with ground breaking SE to boot. My jaw dropped.

then to choose between the rest... 2001, well, you know, no doubting Kubrick was a genius but I always found his pacing to slow. District 9? I can only assume it made the list because its so recent - instantly forgettable minor movie. Terminator 2 - great thrills and spills action adventure, great monster, but too star-driven, take away Arnie and what have you got? Planet of the Apes - good idea, good lead, but I didn't think it was particularly well made. Clse Encounters I enjoyed but that Speilburg surburban cosiness and the special effects ending spoiled it for me.

So the choice came down to between two Ridley Scott movies, both set in corporate dystopias - each in their own way saying that the future is like now, only more so - for me Blade runner was a little too de-focused whilst the focus on Alien was intense. One of the first movies to put gothic horror in space, a truly alien alien for a change.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am

Mongo, have you ever watched the original serial of Quatermass and the Pit?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Being recent doesn't make a film bad. District 9 is what sci-fi is SUPPOSED to be. using a fictional tale to deal with real world problems and situations. up until the ending the film is essentially a true story told using beings from another world. there really was a sort of invasion of aliens as refugees poured into south africa from other nations. they were segregated into camps. the locals all hated them. thought they were a nuisance, thought they were leading to crime. the shanty town the film takes place in wasn't a set, those were real homes that those refugees were living in. and the evictions really happened because of the locals protesting and wanting them out. The commentary track on the disc is really fascinating and worth a listen.

On top of that the film sets the bar for what a low budget film can look like as far as special effects.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I can't believe that Dark Star didn't get through! :shock: :lol:

It's very obscure and clunky in the CGI dept now, but it was a brilliant spoof of 2001

I had that listed Jan but changed my mind at the last minute 5 is never enough, loved the dialog with the bomb :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I can't believe that Dark Star didn't get through! :shock: :lol:

I was pressed for time and couldn't find it quickly enough before or i'd have posted this...
"Snap out of it,bomb!"

"Let there be light..." :mrgreen:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

job done :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby high eight » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

None of the above, I'm afraid. I just can't generate any enthusiasm for any of those films.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Both front-runners so far are Ridley Scott films. RIDLEEEEEYYYY!

BTW, Ridley Scott used to be a designer for the BBC, although he would take a director's course. Guess which alien he very nearly designed? :D

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre