How crafty are we?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How crafty are we?

Postby Jarmara » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 am

Really this is a shameless excuse for plugging myself BUT,

I wondered how many people here are creative, make things, build things? More importantly, how many of you that do want to show off a bit?

I do silversmithing in my spare time, making stuff like this -

go to http://brisinga.co.uk to see the whole caboodle.

Let me know what you think of my stuff if you like, but what do you guys make?
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:45 am

Wow! I'm impressed. :D Very cool jewellery and very cool site too. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know about arty or crafty, but I do enjoy taking photos - especially of my trips to Tucson, which I may bore you all to death with. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

I was once pretty good using graphics editing apps, but since photo shop has made it easy for everyone I've lost interest. /me hates the bandwagon it gets too crowded.

I like to sketch, maybe if I can get some scans I'll show off some. Though I like to do it, I'm not that good at it. :?

The future Mrs Jinx, is very talented in caligraphy. It makes christmas and birthday shopping for her very easy. =)
Jinx

Postby silverstreak » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Wow! I'm impressed. :D Very cool jewellery and very cool site too. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know about arty or crafty, but I do enjoy taking photos - especially of my trips to Tucson, which I may bore you all to death with. :wink:

Feel free to bore away Tony.Looking forward to them.
silverstreak

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 pm

im a building site foreman and i really enjoy the renovation side of my job . ive done several jobs for cadw and really enjoyed learning the old ways of doing things in the traditional way.
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:09 pm

chris.ph wrote:im a building site foreman and i really enjoy the renovation side of my job . ive done several jobs for cadw and really enjoyed learning the old ways of doing things in the traditional way.
That's really interesting Chris. For those who don't know CADW is the organisation that looks after historical buildings in Wales, including most of the castles. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks Tony :) Looking forward to the pics.

Jinx, please do share your sketches, as the world's worst artist - I'm sure they'll be miles better than I can do.

Chris, that sound fab, really rewarding and it always seems that the old ways of building last best, which must be very satisfying.

Jarmara

Postby swreader » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 am

Here are a couple of my newest drawings. They are done in a special form of colored pencil. The first one is called Santa Rita Cactus Image

The second one is from the Monument Valley trip Tony and I took-- on the Navajo reservation. It's called Three Sisters. Image[/img]
swreader

Postby Jason » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:09 am

Great pictures swreader.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Casaninbetween » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Jarmara wrote:Really this is a shameless excuse for plugging myself BUT,

I wondered how many people here are creative, make things, build things? More importantly, how many of you that do want to show off a bit?

I do silversmithing in my spare time, making stuff like this -

go to http://brisinga.co.uk to see the whole caboodle.

Let me know what you think of my stuff if you like, but what do you guys make?

Ah, brisinga. As in Brísingamen, the necklace of Freyja, the Norse goddess of love, beauty and fertility.

That's a lovely piece of jewelry you've got there. I can't tell how big it is though... Is it a ring, a bracelet, or something else?

I'd love to get into silver- or goldsmithing myself. How does one do that?
The World's Most Mediocre Lover
Casaninbetween

Postby Jinx » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I've had a browse around the site. Nice selection. I particularly like the silver leaf pendants, though I have my reasons for that.
Jinx

Postby Jarmara » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Casaninbetween wrote:
Ah, brisinga. As in Brísingamen, the necklace of Freyja, the Norse goddess of love, beauty and fertility.

That's a lovely piece of jewelry you've got there. I can't tell how big it is though... Is it a ring, a bracelet, or something else?

I'd love to get into silver- or goldsmithing myself. How does one do that?

Precisely as in Brisingamen :) and thank you, it's a ring. I got into it because I started making bead necklaces with craft wire and got frustrated with the limitations of that. So I got myself on an evening class to learn the basics of silversmithing, bought the bare essentials of equipment to use at home and just worked things out for myself from there. It's great fun, but not as delicate a hobby as it may appear!

Jarmara

Postby Jarmara » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Jinx wrote:I've had a browse around the site. Nice selection. I particularly like the silver leaf pendants, though I have my reasons for that.

Thanks, I have a bit of an obsession with trees, I'm always working them into my designs one way or another :lol:

Jarmara

Postby silverstreak » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm

So,we have a fully fledged artisan in our midst.That ring looks really good Jamara.

I also am into trees in a big way.As I do not have an estate or anything I got into bonsai,it's a really fascinating hobby but time consuming.When I got to about 40 trees I found that it took far too much time so I had to give it up.
silverstreak

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

do u do do bonsai glaciers silver. i personally like bonsai icebergs especially in vodka and cokes :lol:
i realy liked the ring jamara havent checked the website out yet but i will as my boss likes jewellry and the hogfather is coming
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum