Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Sophie wrote:Absolutely loved Snuff, couldn't stop reading and have been re-reading. I love Death, but to be honest I was so caught up in the story that I didn't miss him. Also loved the little comment about how Cheery had also had a bit of a crush on Carrot, brilliant touch

Glad you loved Snuff. So do I, Sophie. WELCOME to the madhouse! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

raisindot wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:[...]

I do find it sad that some want to turn that idea around for there own hateful reasons.

Before I feel attacked: Did you mean me?

Oh s**t. Not all this again. Step back from the abyss, Meebs. :D

I'm just rather paranoid :cry:
And hello Sophie
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I have now read Snuff six times! I love it every time I read it.
I love it........just thought I'd share that with you all. :oops:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 pm

meerkat wrote:I have now read Snuff six times! I love it every time I read it.
I love it........just thought I'd share that with you all. :oops:

I'm looking forward to reading it again really soon. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I had it on Audio book couple of weeks ago unabridged version of course. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Just got the UK version as a birthday gift and really looking forward to reading it a 2nd time. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Turtles4Ever » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 am

Just to compare and contrast - I'm currently re-reading 'Thud!' and mentally comparing it to 'Snuff', and they truly are worlds apart. Not just in terms of the story (obviously) but the writing style, the narrative, etc.

I really do think that 'Snuff' is Terry's WORST book, but I respect others who love it. :)
Turtles4Ever

Postby ladyramkin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Turtles4Ever wrote:Just to compare and contrast - I'm currently re-reading 'Thud!' and mentally comparing it to 'Snuff', and they truly are worlds apart. Not just in terms of the story (obviously) but the writing style, the narrative, etc.

I really do think that 'Snuff' is Terry's WORST book, but I respect others who love it. :)

I was beginning to think it was just me. I gave it a second reading , to see if I liked it any better, but no. I hate this imposter calling himself Sam Vimes. What happened to the real one? Really bitterly disappointed with this book. Sorry.
ladyramkin

Postby One Man Bucket » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 pm

I wouldn't call it his worst book but it was his worst Watch book. It managed to be readable and even enjoyable at times but it was like reading about some other people not the characters I cherish. Vimes became too perfect, the other Watch members were far too marginalised and as has been mentioned several times the way in which the goblins were recognised as sentient was far too story book. I'd have preferred a much messier method for them to be recognised like say PETA type protests and Vimes having to crack down on them despite agreeing with them
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby fids » Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Just started reading yhe book and I've only read this last page of this thread and have to disagree.

he's about to meet the smithy on hangmans hill at midnight but I can see he's grown as a character, just like Wilikins.

IMO Sam peaked in Gaurds Guards, we've seen his evolution into The Duke, Commander, Sir Samuel since since. People change and so do their characters, this is what has been constructed here.

GG, Thud, Nightwatch, all Watch classics but snuff so far has intrigued me and I love how Sam and his family have grown.

Times Change. Sam has changed (knuckle dusters apart). Its all good.
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Eric1002 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:27 pm

I have read all of the discworld books. I liked most of them a lot.
But I did not like Snuff at all.

Why?
Because there was no humor in this book.
There was only action.

The Discworld series to me is fun to read because of the humor in the stories.
In Snuff there are plenty of opportunities to poke fun, but Terry just did not use them.
When there was a killing he did not let Death enter the scene like he did in a lot of previous books.
When there was an opportunity to make a remark about magic and the funny and wonderful way it works in the Discworld he did not do this.
When there was an opportunity to make a remark about the crazy way the Discworld is functioning he did not do this.
There was only action.

This is not why I am reading the Discworld stories.
I would like to see him continuing to show us why the Discworld is functioning in this very strange way, as he has been telling us in so many of his previous stories.

I do know Snuff was situated on Discworld because he used characters from his former novels, but I did not learn anything new about the Discworld in this story. This makes me sad.
And I am sorry to say, but because of these omissions Snuff was just about the worst Discworld novel I have read.

I do hope that if there will be another Discworld story Terry will be able to include again some of those remarks that makes you wonder and laugh about what a strange, wonderful and funny kind of world the Discworld is.

Eric1001
Eric1002

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:15 am

Welcome to the site, Eric1002! :D

Personally I thought Snuff was one of Terry's best books to date. But it wouldn't do if we were all the same. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Eric1001/1002 :D

I really enjoyed the book, I think that Terry can use satire as well as belly laughs to get his point across. The fact that Death didn't show up makes the deaths all the more serious - Death often lightens the tone of the funnier novels, to detract from the fact that someone has just been horribly murdered. But as Tony says, it's good that we're all different - a world full of Dotsies would drive me mad! :angry-screaming:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Welcome, Eric1002!

While I don't think Snuff is the worst DW book (for me it's still better than all of the Rincewind books put together), I find it to be one of Pterry's worst 'later period' efforts and symptomatic (at least in my opinion) of the ongoing decline in quality of the last few DW books.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Seriousness to me just fits in with the idea that any kind of story can work on the discworld. and to me it works because the other books are funny. its a contrast. that always appealed to me.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels