Accents on the Snuff audiobook

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Accents on the Snuff audiobook

Postby tmoh » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm American, so a lot of the nuances of British accents are lost on me. Can anybody tell me what regional accent(s) the new characters from Snuff have on the (Stephen Briggs) audiobook?

Characters I'm specifically interested in:
Jethro Jefferson
Feeney Upshot
Felicity Beedle
Ted Flutter
Eddie Brassbound*
Stratford*

*because there's definitely a difference in his voice when his identity is revealed, but I can't tell how much of it's pitch and how much is an actual accent change
tmoh

Re: Accents on the Snuff audiobook

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 am

If I ever get to hear it, I'll tell you. Sorry!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 am

Stephen Briggs does like his accents. :mrgreen: Loved the Scottish dwarfs in Thud!

I haven't heard Snuff, so I can't comment.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Its interesting that for the boat captains wife he uses the Dr Lawn voice. (which i always liked)

Here's clips from the audiobook it may contain spoilers

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm

I've actually been curious about the accents as well. the one thing that always caught my ear was Nanny and gaspode sometimes saying what sounds like nothink or somethink things like that, and always wondered about it. at least in Nigels books. (lister in red dwarf does it sometimes too.)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Lister in from Liverpool. As to Gaspode and Nanny - I haven't heard them in any of the audiobooks I have. I always imagine Gaspode with a London, cockney accent though.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Its interesting that for the boat captains wife he uses the Dr Lawn voice. (which i always liked)

Listen to enough Briggs and you start seeing how he reuses his "voices" around. For example, in Making Money, Hubert's voice was the voice Briggs used for Harry King in The Truth (King's voice in MM was MUCH better) and he uses a variation of that voice for the Baron in I Shall Wear Midnight. For younger male protagonists like Lobsang, Wm. De Worde (or even female protagonists like Polly and Tiffany) and Moist he tends to use the same kind of neutral, open voice without a real 'provincial' accent to it.
raisindot

Return to Latest books