dodger

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: dodger

Postby high eight » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 am

LilMaibe wrote:And to have my old-grumpy-man-ramblings off the list:
Are you still going to say there ain't a rather scatalogical turn in the past few works?

Yes. There has always been a vein of good old British scatological humour. remember the Via Clocoa?
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby high eight » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am

Tonyblack wrote:It seems to be set in the same world as Nation - an alternative Victorian Britain. I know a lot of people didn't much care for Nation, but I loved it. ;)

Me too - I think it is close to PTerry's masterpiece.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby RJH » Sun May 13, 2012 11:56 pm

It’s exactly four months till Dodger is dodging its way to bookshelves and to celebrate Lynsey has revealed some characters that appear in the book! Dodger features real characters of the time in which it’s set including the following, Charles Dickens!, James Mayhew, Disraeli. Sir Robert Peel and even Queen Victoria!
http://discworldfanatics.co.uk/dodger-c ... -revealed/
RJH

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks Rich! I'm looking forward to this one somewhat more than Long Earth (not sure why). :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am

I'm the same . I'm wary of The Long Earth but this book actually excites me. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby RJH » Mon May 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Same here as well. Hopefully both novels will be awesome
RJH

Postby pip » Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 pm

We can but hope :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Palle » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 pm

In the Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist there is a character called the Artful dodger, Jack Dawkins.
Is it possible that this book will be about that character?
Palle

Postby Molokov » Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 pm

From the blurb, It's about a similar /type/ of character, and considering I think Dickens was mentioned as one of the characters making an appearance, perhaps the titular Dodger is the character that inspires Dickens to include him in Oliver Twist?
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Waterstones free sampler of the first 15 pages. :dance: :dance:

"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 am

Molokov wrote:From the blurb, It's about a similar /type/ of character, and considering I think Dickens was mentioned as one of the characters making an appearance, perhaps the titular Dodger is the character that inspires Dickens to include him in Oliver Twist?

That sounds likely. In Roundworld Dickens made Dodger a pickpocket rather than a mudlark and also rather less vicious than this one looks like being. Maybe our Dickens left out Dodger's early life before Fagin got hold of him, or thought it was obvious enough for those who knew so that he didn't have to mention it specifically.
=Tamar

Postby pip » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 am

poohcarrot wrote:Waterstones free sampler of the first 15 pages. :dance: :dance:

Damn it , no waterstones left here :evil:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 am

You'll have to be nice to Bouncy for a while. :o :o :o
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Double Damn :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Wee spoilers for Snuff and Feet of Clay

I'm super-excited about this one, because I've actually written a YA novel (unpublished) about a tosher in an alternate Victorian London, so it will be fascinating to see what Mr Pratchett has done with similar material. I'm just a massive Victoriana geek in general, and particularly when it comes to Victorian London, and particularly particularly when it comes to the various underground worlds of Victorian London. If anyone's interested in some background reading, I can recommend a couple of really fascinating non-fiction books on the subject.

As for scatalogical content...well, it's going to be pretty unavoidable given the subject matter, yes? I did notice a lot more scatalogical references in Snuff than in previous books, but I saw that as deliberate, particularly in terms of characters like Young Sam, Felicity Beedle and Harry King, who see something worthwhile or interesting in things other people consider to be disgusting waste, with the obvious parallels to the goblins.

Terry Pratchett has always thought poo is funny - he's English :lol: In Feet of Clay, for example, there's a memorable scene with a whole city full of panicked animals doing...what comes naturally to panicked animals. Not to mention Colon's trip down the "river". And sexual content is nothing new either - the entire concept of the Seamstress's Guild is one long nudge-nudge wink-wink.

IMO, one of Mr Pratchett's many charms as a writer is that he appeals on so many different levels, from the incredibly clever and nuanced to shouting "Underpants!" and running away.
OrangeEyebrows

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books