LotR Question.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

LotR Question.

Postby Cohen » Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Does anyone know the name of the son of Aragorn & Arwen? I know that it doesn't mention it in the book or the appendices but the wife made me ask anyway.
"Sorrow comes from a world upturned"
Cohen

Re: LotR Question.

Postby chris.ph » Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm

jan will know :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 30, 2012 5:54 pm

chris.ph wrote:jan will know :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread.

Be prepared for a l-o-n-g answer. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

A quick google comes up with: Eldarion,
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm

far too short an answer Jason, lets wait for Jan :D ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes it's Eldarion* but he also had 6 daughters with Arwen as well - there's not really much else to know about the kid. Tolkien kind of lost interest in it all for the Fourth Age after he killed off Sauron for the third time. :shock:

The immortality gig wore out with Arwen who died of grief and followed Aragorn into permanent peace outside the spheres of Arda (she didn't get to re-incarnate like proper Elves 'cos she chose to marry a mere mortal :roll: ) and their kids all lived happily ever after until they too kicked the bucket. All the Elves had sodded off into the West by then so nobody gave a damn.... :ugeek: :lol:

*it means Son of the Elves apparently - both Arwen and Aragorn were descended from royal Elves - in fact she was his cousin several hundred times removed as he was descended from Elrond's twin brother Elros. Not a lot of people know that :whistle:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 pm

that's better, a full answer not just the actual answer, I knew we could rely on you Jan ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 30, 2012 9:27 pm

I only wish I could say more but there isn't anything to tell - the daughters thing isn't 'known' for sure but they had at least 2 and some afterthought writing mention the half dozen but he'd already repeated a lot of the names already (there are at least 2 Denethors and Boromirs and possibly another Legolas as well... :roll: ) so I guess he just didn't bother with naming the girls ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Del » Thu May 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Bit like Jesus' sisters hey. :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Cohen » Thu May 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone, especially Jan Van Quirm. The missus only wanted to know the name of their son, so I could earn some brownie points here :dance: Guess I will know who to contact if I require any further Middle Earth education :D
Cohen

Postby Cohen » Thu May 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Ah, with regard to my previous post... Jan Van Quirm, you don't happen to know the names of the daughters, do you :?:
Cohen

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 31, 2012 4:41 pm

No - sorry Cohen I don't and I doubt it's something anyone else would since there's a lot of sources out there now all based on the copious notes that Tolkien left and his son and archivist Christopher has collated.

There's reams of 'genealogical' info in Bk 12 of the History of Middle Earth, Peoples of Middle Earth on the Kings of Numenor, Arnor and Gondor which ends with Eldarion but I'm afraid he's the last and only child named after Aragorn. If you want a more accessible online source then I use Encyclopedia of Arda (Glyphweb) and the Wiki Middle Earth Portal for quick hits and for more in depth or practical info Tolkien Gateway which has v. useful stuff like timelines pre-LOTR as well as news of the forthcoming Hobbit films :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cohen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but thank you all, especially Jan Van Quirm, for the help :text-thankyouyellow:
Cohen

Postby raisindot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Okay, Jan, if you're such a Tolkien smarty pants, tell me what starts the Two Towers multiball sequence on the LotR pinball machine? :D
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:53 pm

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum