Moving Pictures Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Moving Pictures Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby raptornx01 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 pm

The film that to this day is still the biggest film in history? :lol: that's a bit different.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Thu May 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Dotsie wrote:
=Tamar wrote:As I understand it, pre-teen Prachett didn't have the cash to go to movies. He barely had cash to get to the library, and buy the occasional second-hand SF magazine or paperback. Also, he was born in 1948. In 1954 when the film came out, he was six years old and the family were not movie-goers and definitely did not have a TV license.

You might very well be right, but Terry did write a book about the film industry, for which he would have been certain to have watched a good many films, or at least researched them. As Jan says, Doctor in the House was very popular, so he would have at least heard of it. And anyway, who would choose to sit through Gone With the Wind? Snore! Especially if you don't have time to waste watching TV ;) But he still makes reference to it in the book.

Hmmmm....if Pterry was poor, didn't have cash to read movies, go to the library, or watch TV there is certainly no way that he could possibly have amassed enough of an education to be able to come up with the thousands of cultural, historical and scientific references in his books.

This of course, can only mean one thing.

THE MAN KNOWN AS TERRY PRATCHETT IS NOT THE REAL AUTHOR OF THE DISCWORLD BOOKS AND INSTEAD SERVES AS A FRONT FOR A SYNDICATE OF AUTHORS WRITING UNDER HIS NAME.

This would explain everything. After all, what English writer of any consequence would want to be known for writing fantasy parody books? The actor playing the persona of Terry Pratchett agreed to serve as a front for these 'slummers.'

This explains the often abrupt shifts in style. The first 'joke-heavy' Rincewind books were most likely written by someone like--Doug Adams, perhaps?

After awhile, this first ghost author was switched out to someone (or several) who were able to bring more depth and quality to the series (Neil Gaiman? Tom Sharpe?). Then, finally, budgetary problems forced the syndicate to bring in a less-talented writer who is responsible for more muddled and lower quality recent books (George R.R. Martin?). Meanwhile, the actor pretending to be Pterry has been meticulously coached by the syndicate to appear erudite, educated and intellectual.

This could be the biggest literacy conspiracy since someone decided to publish Fifty Shades of Gray. :D
Last edited by raisindot on Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

I read a BBC article that said that Terry Pratchett was also Iain Banks. :?

Maybe your syndicate is writing more books than the Discworld ones. :o
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 am

:lol:

Well, it's certainly a theory. And never let the facts stand in the way of a good story, I say!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Well he did not look like Terry when I seen him a couple of month :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Discworld novels