The Gloob Of Thannook 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4, 8 & SEVEN

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:16 am

very good pooh :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 am

Practical hat on today...

poohb wrote:He left the bistro
At a quarter from four,
But the lightning did flash
And the raid it did pour.
The library was near
So he scampered inside.
A place from the storm
And the thunder to hide.

Now reading was something
The Gloob never did.
He'd been turned against it
When only a kid.
But he picked up a book,
The first one in an age.
He parked his plump bum
And turned the first page.

The library was closing
At thirty past nine,
But the Gloob was still there
Reading line after line.
He couldn't believe it.
So entertaining!
He'd lost track of time
And forgot it was raining.

are we sure the Gloob wasn't raiding the Library? :wink:

*puts red pen away* Excellent taste though that Gloob :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:26 am

Looks like a blue pen to me. :lol:

How come I missed that? I'm normally pretty good at spotting other people's spelling mistakes.

I'm crap at spotting my own though. :oops:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 am

Once again, very good. I thought the bistro bit was a bit wierd though, in a children's story? Good menu choices though 8)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 am

Tonyblack wrote:Looks like a blue pen to me. :lol:

How come I missed that? I'm normally pretty good at spotting other people's spelling mistakes.

I'm crap at spotting my own though. :oops:

Everyone's crap at spotting their own Tony - it's the only reason why they need editors still - as spell-checkers are also crap and can't do grammar even if you've set it to the right default for English English :wink:

Plus I used to proof-read for a govt dept so I have a truly non-admirable talent for being able to edit extremely long and boring docs without having to actually 'read' them properly (properly being following and appreciating the copy which is something I reserve for reading matter I give a damn about). 8x8 line poetry is therefore a doddle :P

I like blue - red reminds me of work :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:48 am

10 points to Jan for spotting the spelling mistake, which I have corrected.

But minus 10 points for everyone for not noticing the last inverted commas were missing after "Pratchett", which I have also corrected.

That leaves Jan on zero points, and as you can't go below zero according to my rules, everyoneone's level. :lol:

I couldn't think of a 2 syllable word for an eaterie apart from bistro. As the strange dishes are a running gag, he had to eat somewhere.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby MattK » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Brilliant! I love it. :)

poohbcarrot wrote:I couldn't think of a 2 syllable word for an eaterie apart from bistro. As the strange dishes are a running gag, he had to eat somewhere.

Uh... Cafe? Deli? Diner? Lunchroom? Pit stop? Snack bar? Soup house? Tea room? Hash house?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 pm

MattK wrote:Uh... Cafe? Deli? Diner? Lunchroom? Pit stop? Snack bar? Soup house? Tea room? Hash house?

UK cafes don't sell prawns
Deli - part of a supermarket
Diner - American
Lunchroom - eh?
Pit stop - motor racing
Snack bar - No prawns
Tea room - no prawns
Hash house - It's for kids'. Having the Gloob get wasted and start giggling insanely in the library and grooving to the fab colours of all the books would have been silly! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby MattK » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:13 pm

Get wasted at a hash house? I picture more of a greasy spoon kind of place, at least in the States. And delis aren't just a part of supermarkets, silly Brits. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Dotsie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Silly pooh you mean. Cafes don't sell prawns? Long time since you were here little pooh!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm

When ever I go back to the UK, I find a greasy Joe cafe and have a wonderful fry-up with tea so thick you can stand your spoon up in it.
That is what the word cafe conjures up in my mind.

I'm sure there are plenty of prawn sarnie cafes in Manchester, but I'm not from the South. :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Prawn Barm Cakes in Manchester. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:21 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of prawn sarnie cafes in Manchester, but I'm not from the South. :lol:

Ahem... South???

We are dead cultured here in the North West I'll have you know. Sometimes I put the radio on & deliberately listen to ladies yodelling in foreign.
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm from Darlington, which if you check a map you will see is in the north of England.
Anyway, I thought the Lake District was the North West. :lol:

Yodelling ladies? Sounds as bad as the new Arctic Monkeys CD which is appalling!
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:21 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Sheesh! :roll: I don't know! I only was injecting a bit of economic reality into the story. How does Noddy pay for the petrol for his car?

He doesn't need to raise any more cash, because he makes enough from selling his fruit and veg. :lol:

So there!!

The next chapter is called "BOOKS".

I was answering MattK, pooh, not trying to inject some sense of logic to the story.

I do like your poems though, so keep them coming! :D
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Books