Moist Von Lipwig's Principles of Taxation

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Trish » Sat May 16, 2009 10:55 am

Dotsie wrote:Wow, Trish, you've really thought about this haven't you!
You don't work in taxes by any chance?

No, I don't work in taxes. Although next season, I might. Maybe.

A friend of mine is a CPA --which is like a chartered accountant. Tammy's not a typical accountant. At all. You walk into her office wearing more than jeans and Harley T-shirt and you're way overdressed. ;0)

That's how taxes work here.
You get used to it.

Moist could impose levys on wages, number of vehicles per household, number of chimneys per household (don't laugh, this was actually done), etc.

A 1% wage tax wage tax was imposed here in Wintersville 15+ years ago, ostensibly to help support the police dep't, but 2 years ago, a permanent 1% levy (1 million dollars) was voted in on top of that.
Yeah, it is double taxation. And it is unconstitutional.

Before Moist goes about raising taxes, the whole issue of voting is going to have to be addressed. Which could be great fun, let's see what Crysophase lists as "income" and what he writes off as business expenses.
Trish

Postby Dotsie » Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Trish wrote: number of chimneys per household (don't laugh, this was actually done)

In England there was once a window tax, based on the number of windows in your house. This is why a lot of older houses (I think this includes the Bronte parsonage for example) have bricked up windows. :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat May 16, 2009 1:28 pm

In Plymouth (and Launceston too) there's still loads of Georgian houses and even quite 'ordinary' homes have bricked up windows...

In those days Plymouth, being a Royal Naval port and dockyard had some really rich admiralty types living down here (in those sensible days during the Napoleonic Wars and the little upsets out in the 'colonies' too :wink: the captains were on a 'commission' for every enemy ship taken and/or sunk and so v. incentivised - plus the French have always been crap military sailors :twisted: ) so lots of money to spend on fancy houses. However - there are bigger pirates called The Inland Revenue about and they always get you in the end :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Moist Von Lipwig's Principles of Taxation

Postby =Tamar » Fri May 25, 2012 3:29 am

Another old thread to revive... I've been thinking that the Thieves' Guild is a natural to be recruited for the job of tax collector, as they are already accustomed to carrying identification and giving receipts. But maybe not, as there are limits on how much they're allowed to steal ("Only lawyers are allowed to steal that much!"). On the other hand, somehow I think Moist might do what he has done before, that is, do the opposite of the expected.
=Tamar

Re: Moist Von Lipwig's Principles of Taxation

Postby prajuvikas » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm

I think the Discworld would have a 'FLAT' tax eh ? :P :dance:
prajuvikas

Previous

Return to Discworld novels