Towel Day Inspiration

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Towel Day Inspiration

Postby wub » Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm

For me, Towel Day is full of strong emotions of all sorts. I read Douglas Adams' Wikipedia page today, and noticed an icon near the top I had not seen before. It turned out to link to an audio recording of someone reading the page, and fittingly it was in 'ogg' format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_vorbis, if you are new to the term). This collision of literary references inspired me.

I decided I would like to attempt to contact Terry Pratchett to learn what his thoughts might be on a fitting public remembrance and celebration of his life and work, while there is still a chance to consult him on the subject. I have never attempted to contact a beloved author before, so this seemed like the most appropriate way to start.

Cursory searching on this forum and did not turn up anything that seemed to answer my question: if I missed something, consider this my apology, and thanks in advance for a pointer.
wub

Re: Towel Day Inspiration

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi wub and welcome to the site. Terry isn't so easy to get in touch with, but you might try contacting him through Colin Smythe, his agent. :)

Not only Ogg, but Vorbis too. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:56 am

I can't remember which way round it is. But one of the words 'Ogg' or 'Vorbis' is named after Pratchett the other was named after something else.

Colin Smythe's email address is: cpsmythe@aol.com

Opps, I ses that the wiki page above explains what I just said better.

'Vorbis' is named after the character from Small Gods whereas Ogg isn't named after Nanny Ogg.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 am

I wonder if it's named after Ogham. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Return to Terry Pratchett