Worlds Greatest Detective

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Worlds Greatest Detective (Nominations)

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm

braaaaaaaaaaiiinnnnss

ahem, BTW since no one in the thread had said it at the time, i can't let it be missed that Batman, is, and has always been a detective first and foremost. people just get distracted by the flashy depictions. even Ra's Al Ghul always called him "detective".
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Re:

Postby Penfold » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 am

Tonyblack wrote:
BatrickPatrick wrote:Batman (he does detecting all the time! A cat hair! IT WAS CAT WOMAN OMG)
And he first appeared in 'Detective Comics'. :wink:

This was posted on page 1. ;) However, he only received the single nomination (iirc) and didn't make the cut for the final poll. :(

I've edited the title now so we can all have a good general debate as to who's the best. My vote still goes for "Morse" although I have also enjoyed "Luther". :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: Worlds Greatest Detective

Postby meerkat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm

I still prefer Columbo, followed very closely by Morse and Due South.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Quatermass » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Y'know, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned L, the brilliant detective from Death Note.

I'm posting a couple of clips from Death Note. The first is to show L's prowess in tricking Light Yagami, aka supernatural killer Kira, into betraying his rough location and the fact that he can kill from a distance (this clip has loud sound, so turn the volume down)...

And another clip from later in the show, showing L (in person) discussing his intent to stop Kira with the police willing to work with him.

All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Antiq » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Sherlock Holmes
Hercule Poirot
Morse
Jane Marple
Father Brown (Chesterton)

I don't think of Vimes as a detective really, he's a copper, it's different :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Astonishing write-up of S2 of Sherlock, by Michael Ausiello.

I spent the weekend devouring all three episodes of Season 2 (which premieres stateside on May 6) and I’m still basking in the afterglow.

The Steven Moffat-penned, Paul McGuigan-directed opener, titled “A Scandal in Belgravia,” is nothing short of a masterpiece. It picks up right where the Season 1 cliffhanger left off and marks the introduction of True Blood‘s Lara Pulver as Irene Adler, a dominatrix who may be hot for but is definitely bothered by the iconic sleuth.

Their “relationship” takes so many twists and turns throughout the 90 minutes that you literally don’t know where they stand with each other until the jaw-dropping final scene. Their first encounter is also pretty memorable (hint: one of them is completely naked).

Episodes 2 and 3 are also stellar, but the premiere is an absolute work of art. I can’t say enough good things about it. PBS and the BBC should consider giving it a limited, Oscar-qualifying run in theaters.

Presumably, theaters means cinemas?

Wow. High praise indeed.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu May 17, 2012 10:37 am

CBS have released the first trailer for "Elementary", their modernisation of Sherlock.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a ... video.html
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby MongoGutman » Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 pm

1: Sherlock Holmes
2: Sam Spade (duh)
3: Phillip Marlowe
4: Harry Callaghan
...oh and just one more thing before I go, I almost forgot. You know I'm terrrible like that, my wife, she says I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on. She's a big fan of your's you know, well sure she's got all your (books/records/movies) she keeps trying to get me to (read/listen/watch) but well, you know how it is, what with the... oh, yes, sorry, I know, you're a busy man and all it's just one more thing that's bothering me... 5: Colombo
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri May 18, 2012 12:06 am

^ :D

Literary & Movie;

1. Columbo
2. Dirk Gently
3. Hercule Poirot
4. Thursday Next
5. Clarice Starling

The ones I like at the moment are the Whitechapel guys. Very good show I think.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby BobtheDrog » Sat May 19, 2012 9:21 pm

1. Holmes
2. Harry Callaghan
3. Sam Vimes
4. Jack Frost
5, Chick Bowdrie
BobtheDrog

Previous