Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Postby LilMaibe » Sat May 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I apologise again ._.
I...just want to understand. I mean either I AM crazy for spotting all these things or people are viewing the book through pink-tinted glasses.
I just want to understand.
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Or it doesn't bother them.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Sat May 12, 2012 6:06 pm

well, the usual thing I hear when I say I don't like the book is 'how can you do that? it's discworld' *shrugs* I think I should just find peace in the assumption Sir Terry did write it bad on purpose for him not liking the topic but the publisher wanting a book on football for the cups. (Yes, Tony, I remember we went over that, but I still have my doubts)

EDIT: But on the bit pooh dug up: let's see. the book is 400 to 541 pages long (hardcover/paperback). Aside from that one scene, which doesn't even fill a page, there is no occassion where he fails. Not to mention something even worse:
It's a sight-gag.
It's the attempt to have a sight-gag in written form. Another No-go at writing.
I recently got my hands on 'How not to write a novel' and dear gods in their heavens, everything I before disliked about the book is in there. at least the kind of mistake I disliked in the book. Each and every bit
(And I can explain this much better in spoken form :( )
LilMaibe

Postby poohcarrot » Sun May 13, 2012 4:58 am

LilMaibe wrote:well, the usual thing I hear when I say I don't like the book is 'how can you do that? it's discworld'

EDIT: But on the bit pooh dug up: let's see. the book is 400 to 541 pages long (hardcover/paperback). Aside from that one scene, which doesn't even fill a page, there is no occassion where he fails.

I don't like Making Money or Monstrous Regiment, I think Night Watch is overrated, and ISWM is by far the worst Tiffany book. There are even some deluded people who don't like Pyramids. It's impossible to like every Discworld book, so why worry about it? :dance:

Page 35 (Half the page)

Mr Nutt fails to communicate.

Mr Nutt and Trev have obviously had lots of conversations in the past, but for some reason Mr Nutt uses fancy language he should have known that Trev wouldn't be able to understand. :dance:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby LilMaibe » Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 am

Yes, but in the end it gets portrayed as yet another 'lovable character quirk'. And the other characters go and look things up instead of calling him out on it. He keeps talking swollen and even in the end when he starts using 'common phrases' the way he speaks them give it the undertone of 'how do you inferior beings say again in your unbelievable incompetence?'

As for the first bit: Imagine all the 'arguments' people could muster to support their claim that MM or MR are 'best book ever' is 'cause it's pratchett and you are just too stupid to realise that'. Or if the only argument you could come up with in defense of Pyramids (I btw still need to check if I got the version with the soup-add or the cleaned up one) would be that.
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 am

poohcarrot wrote: It's impossible to like every Discworld book

Not necessarily true.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby poohcarrot » Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 am

Page 67

One of the rules Mr Nutt has for himself is
Do not stand out from the crowd

Page 86/87

Mr Nutt picks up the ball and Glenda says put it down and come away.
He should have listened to Glenda then he wouldn't have stood out from the crowd.
Instead he fails to follow Glenda advice, or his own instructions, and throws the ball smashing the post 150 yards away. :dance:

Failure! 8-)

...but you'll probably twist that failure round too, won't you Meeps? :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Sun May 13, 2012 7:26 am

raptornx01 wrote:
poohcarrot wrote: It's impossible to like every Discworld book

Not necessarily true.

It's impossible to like every Discworld book equally as much. :dance:

PS: Nice speech yesterday!
PPS: What IS that horsey-thing on your sig doing!!? :o :o :o
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:53 am

LilMaibe wrote:
As for the first bit: Imagine all the 'arguments' people could muster to support their claim that MM or MR are 'best book ever' is 'cause it's pratchett and you are just too stupid to realise that'. Or if the only argument you could come up with in defense of Pyramids (I btw still need to check if I got the version with the soup-add or the cleaned up one) would be that.

That is the kind of statement that is often made by someone who has no real train of thought, other than, "I AM right, I KNOW what I am talking about, and ANYONE who disagrees with me, is WRONG!"

If LilMaibe chooses to belive that however politely a disagreement is worded, there is an underlying insult attached to it, then anyone who takes part in the debate is just flogging a dead horse.

LilMaibe - people have different opinions and tend not to agree. It doesn't mean that either opinion is more justified than the other. Neither does it warrant you interpreting what is said, as containing an underlying insult.

And for the record, Pyramids is not the best TP book. Books are to be read and enjoyed -they are escapism into another world invented by the author - not carved up and analysed.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby raptornx01 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 am

poohcarrot wrote:
It's impossible to like every Discworld book equally as much. :dance:

Fair enough.

PS: Nice speech yesterday!

thanks

PPS: What IS that horsey-thing on your sig doing!!? :o :o :o

Rockin' On :lol: :character-beavisbutthead: :music-deathmetal: :music-headbanger: :music-rockon: :music-rockout:
raptornx01

Postby poohcarrot » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am

Batty wrote:
And for the record, Pyramids is not the best TP book.

Tis! :o
You're just too stupid to realise, so yar boo shucks to you with knobs on! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Sun May 13, 2012 2:13 pm

OK, I am wrong!! (Even though I know that it's not your favourite, just highly regarded by you)

Boo! Hoo! Sob! ... You cruel, cruel, person!!! ... ;) :crying-yellow:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby poohcarrot » Sun May 13, 2012 4:52 pm

But Batty, you taught me everything I know! ;)
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Sun May 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Did I? ... Coo!

Well, in that case, I award you a merit badge and a polishing cloth to keep your ring all shiny! :lol: :clap:
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Batty wrote:Did I? ... Coo!

Well, in that case, I award you a merit badge and a polishing cloth to keep your ring all shiny! :lol: :clap:

No!No!No! I will resist from saying it, ok I give in I thought that was wifey's job. Image :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels