J.K.Rowling

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: J.K.Rowling

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Tris wrote:Anything J. K. Rowling writes HAS to be good, right???

No it hasn't, none of the others have been. She needed to be taught how to edit, the whole series could and indeed should have been half the length it was and been better constructed with tighter plotting. Frankly by book 4 you can just read alternate pages and still not miss anything because she repeats herself so much.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby author3 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:

No it hasn't, none of the others have been. She needed to be taught how to edit, the whole series could and indeed should have been half the length it was and been better constructed with tighter plotting. Frankly by book 4 you can just read alternate pages and still not miss anything because she repeats herself so much.

I agree,I think she was okay on the first three books but the fourth and fifth could have been 300 pages each and you could still have the whole story but I think the sixth and seventh were done pretty good.

I particularly liked the part at the start of The Half-Blood Prince when
Spoiler: show
the Minister of Magic start appearing to the Prime Minister :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Tiffany » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Catch-up wrote:I'm willing to give it a try.

So am I.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tris » Sat May 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I didn't mean that they're necessarily ALWAYS good, but since I think all the HP books are awesome...
Tris

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Awsomely badly written I assume you mean. The stories are OK but the writing ability is dreadful
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Sat May 19, 2012 11:29 am

but yet she is a multimillionaire and im not :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby author3 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:04 pm

chris.ph wrote:but yet she is a multimillionaire and im not :cry:

Well i'm sure you could you do a way better job than her Chris and she'd still be a millionare :roll:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby =Tamar » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am

She was a master of publicity. Every step of her career from the very beginning was orchestrated like publicity stunts, from the "poor welfare mother" through the "big money auction" through the secrecy and the midnight releases. Even the website with random updates and little games, and the rumors. You could teach a college course on her publicity techniques.
=Tamar

Postby pip » Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 am

=Tamar wrote:She was a master of publicity. Every step of her career from the very beginning was orchestrated like publicity stunts, from the "poor welfare mother" through the "big money auction" through the secrecy and the midnight releases. Even the website with random updates and little games, and the rumors. You could teach a college course on her publicity techniques.

Yep she chose to live in poverty as part of her publicity drive :lol: :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby serendipnick » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:38 pm

From the description of the book I would imagine something like Joanne Harris (Chocolat, Five Quarters of the Orange), only not as French. Therefore it sounds pretty interesting, but one should never judge a book by its blurb :-P

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of J.K. Rowling on a personal level, I have to say that I thought the Harry Potter books were some good solid classics. They got a lot of people reading, for one thing. I felt that the story started out as a lovely sort of Enid Blyton for teenagers, but cooler and with magic. :-P And then they grew, and Harry went through moody teenagerhood, and the ending was pretty satisfying, so really, what else could one want in a book?

I read the books as they came out and I reread them about once a year from start to finish, and for all the finicky little criticisms I might have, it's a pretty classic saviour story that speaks for friendship and trust and against hatred and disunity. I'm not going to take too much moral guidance from it, but it leaves me feeling good.
WWGWD
serendipnick

Postby raisindot » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 pm

pip wrote:
=Tamar wrote:She was a master of publicity. Every step of her career from the very beginning was orchestrated like publicity stunts, from the "poor welfare mother" through the "big money auction" through the secrecy and the midnight releases. Even the website with random updates and little games, and the rumors. You could teach a college course on her publicity techniques.

Yep she chose to live in poverty as part of her publicity drive :lol: :roll:

Damn, I need to hire her publicist. I'm so sick of being poor! :D
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I really enjoyed the HP books, especially the first two. I thought the story was great! I'll agree that later books could have been pared down a bit. So she's a millionaire? Good for her! She did it on her own. I'm not a rabid fan, but I don't think her writing was poor at all. Kept me turning the pages! Loved the movies too. None as much as the first, but so what?

Now, on the flip side I did try the first Twilight book and thought it was horrible. But, just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean that I'm going to ignore that millions of others do. So what?! I don't feel any need to start taking shots at the author. :roll:
Last edited by Catch-up on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I think it's nice how popular HP is given how whimsical it is. Fantasy shall never dieeeee
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 am

I did actually hear JK say that she wasn't quite the poor welfare mother she was made out to be, and that she sat in the cafe because it was just where she wanted to write (stuck at home with a baby, how dull). I can relate to that, I did most of my masters study at Starbucks.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 pm

If she wrote it in the Elephant House in Edinburgh as they say she did then she can't have been that poor. It's really expensive in there xD
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books