Snuff: Who was the barman? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff: Who was the barman? (SPOILERS)

Postby raisindot » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Mediterranean wrote:I guess it was Willikins .but i am not sure that

Welcome, Mediterranean. Definitely was Willikens. I wasn't sure about this until this discussion. Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Thu May 03, 2012 5:58 pm

You know that 'Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear' is a pretty mean insult towards the threadopener? I doubt anyone here has read Snuff as often as TMOH. Not to mention, if re-reading makes it so clear, how come several other people who read the books several times thought it to be stratford?
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Sharlene has read it at least eight times.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Thu May 03, 2012 6:42 pm

I think tmoh has read it more often, judging by his pages.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

LilMaibe wrote:I think tmoh has read it more often, judging by his pages.
Well most of the people who have responded to the question have read the book more than you have. I'm not sure why you are getting so snotty about it. :?
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Do I?
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I only said I thought it was stratford as i was first reading it. only the later discussion in the boy's cabin made it clear, to me, it was willikins. i can understand people missing that bit though.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 04, 2012 8:19 am

LilMaibe wrote:You know that 'Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear' is a pretty mean insult towards the threadopener?

No it isn't, stop trying to cause a fight. Raisindot already admitted he'd been mistaken on the first reading himself, and if tmoh didn't want to be disagreed with he wouldn't have started the thread.

Some people are happy to listen to other people's opinions, it makes for an interesting discussion. You should try it!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby tmoh » Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am

Hey folks--looks like this thread got way more intense than I intended! :O And I haven't read the book *that* many times...hence why I was asking for other people's assistance. General consensus across this board and the other places I've asked seems to be that 1) the barman was Willikins, but 2) it was vague enough that I don't have to be *too* embarrassed about getting confused. ;) I can live with that!

(And, um...I'm a "she," actually.)
tmoh

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Sorry! :lol:

Things don't usually get intense on here, only when the subject is Snuff or Unseen Academicals. Then you should find a safe place to watch from a distance! ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby LilMaibe » Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm

tmoh wrote:Hey folks--looks like this thread got way more intense than I intended! :O And I haven't read the book *that* many times...hence why I was asking for other people's assistance. General consensus across this board and the other places I've asked seems to be that 1) the barman was Willikins, but 2) it was vague enough that I don't have to be *too* embarrassed about getting confused. ;) I can live with that!

(And, um...I'm a "she," actually.)

Well, I was under the impression you read it more often than that.
And whoops.

And Dotsie: If I would tell you that 'everyone would get a certain things upon re-reading' if there's something you wouldn't understand, would you not take it as an insult?
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 pm

LilMaibe wrote:You know that 'Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear' is a pretty mean insult towards the threadopener?

Context, context, contex, Meebs. My first post in on this topic was based on my first reading, when I thought the bartender was Stratford. Others' comments to the contrary made me go back and re-read this section. Then it became quite clear that Willikens was the bartender. I'm speaking for myself, not for others who may have made the same mistake I did.
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 04, 2012 1:46 pm

LilMaibe wrote:And Dotsie: If I would tell you that 'everyone would get a certain things upon re-reading' if there's something you wouldn't understand, would you not take it as an insult?

No. I find things in Pratchett all the time when rereading. That's one of the reasons his books are so good for rereading!

There's some things I'll never get, every now and then I come across something IRL and think "Terry read this first, obviously!" Like when I found out that the Royal Society (bunch of learned, dusty old farts) was previously called the Invisible College. Sound familiar? ;)
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Agreed! It is one of the joys of Pratchett to make those discoveries. I have read some of the books many times and still find something new each time. As I've often said - Discworld demands to be reread. I don't think anyone will 'get' everything the first time around.
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

That's not what I meant (so much for that).
LilMaibe

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books