Social Media makes children behave badly says TP

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Social Media makes children behave badly says TP

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Social Media makes children behave badly says TP

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Indeed! :dance:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 02, 2012 4:57 pm

Says the man who Tweets! :mrgreen: ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah but he's already got the vocab sorted ;)

I think it's Rob who does the tweeting more... :shifty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Another reason to love tumblr, by the way. First social network plattform I've seen that encourages proper writing...
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Wed May 02, 2012 6:30 pm

:clap:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby spideyGirl » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm

“If you have a wide vocabulary you can think different thoughts. It stops you getting frustrated. If you have the words to identify exactly what you mean, you can get your message across and I’m sure this is linked to rough behaviour.”

I agree with that point but not sure it is down to Texting and Twitter per se though. The kids who suffer from poor vocabulary might have always suffered with it, with or without those inventions. I certainly saw it at my school.

The slang terms, abbrev (see what I did there?) etc... are alternative ways of expressing oneself, equally valid as a written letter but the problem comes when it is the only way to express oneself. Always has been. Being able to put on different hats to suit the different roles one has to play in life is the key. I talk differently on here or at home to my friends than I would at work or at an official occasion. I write differently when writing for pleasure than when I'm creating a formal document. I think kids suffer when they can only talk with one hat on. And that is usually the friends hat. That existed before Texting and Twitter.

A good start IMHO is to not dumb down to kids in the first place. Can't stand all that 'oh look its a moo moo' nonsense. :geek:
spideyGirl

Postby LilMaibe » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Not to mention if you look at what defines 'childrens' 'young adult' and 'adult' literature nowadays. Correct me if I forget something, but it boils down to 'the average vocabulary'.
That's right: Use 'too many a bit bigger words' in something clearly written for small children and it might end as a 'young adult novel'
LilMaibe

Postby Penfold » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 am

I would go maybe a little further in that too many children 'play' with their friends via the computer or console on-line rather than interacting in person (kicking a football around the local park, for example). This lack of in person social interaction just has to have an effect on emotional growth and affect the way they have to deal with face-to-face situations as they grow up.
(I'm no psychologist or expert, btw, just expressing my opinion on some of the things that I have witnessed.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am

Mediterranean wrote:I do not want to say too much ,because i have no friend in this forum

Hellooo and welcome., Don't worry you'll soon make plenty of new friends on here, especially if you pop over to the Broken Drum and introduce yourself. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby pip » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Seems to be just one of those rants that falls into the whole 'Kids these days' mould
Something is always corrupting the youth according tho the current older generations .
History repeating I think.
Think spidey is closest to the mark with her comments . :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 pm

pip wrote:Seems to be just one of those rants that falls into the whole 'Kids these days' mould
Something is always corrupting the youth according tho the current older generations .
History repeating I think.

Hey, as a father-to-be, you have no right to prejudging us old fogies whose kids are over facebooked, twitted, texted, and attention-addled. You ain't been there and done that yet (I assume). :D

When your babe is 15, and the gadgets the kids are using today have been replaced by things even more nefarious, then you can roll out the "The Kids today" thing. :D :D
raisindot

Postby pip » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

You just proved my point ;)
and i probably will
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raptornx01 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 pm

I blame character limits and the damn typing system on older phones. (ie, typing cat means hitting 22228 :? ). honestly, if not for that things like lol probly wouldn't be around. least its better then 1337 speak.

Gotta agree with Pip on this one.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby author3 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I blame character limits and the damn typing system on older phones. (ie, typing cat means hitting 22228 :? ). honestly, if not for that things like lol probly wouldn't be around. least its better then 1337 speak.

Gotta agree with Pip on this one.

I agree with the character limits and the typing system has changed in the last couple of years so even if you have an Android phone then there is no excuse to type the full word because the alphabet will pop up somewhere on the screen but that hasn't seemed to change the way children text,it's only making it easier for them to use slang and abbreviations :cry:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett