Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Postby raisindot » Tue May 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Heeeeerrrree we go again..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
raisindot

Postby high eight » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, that's your version of just one of my reasons. I have others.

Let's just say I don't like you. Live with it.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Re:

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 am

LilMaibe wrote:On a sidenote on the orc thingy:

Aside from orcs not having an actual background before in DW, Nutt is utterly unimpressive as by now (some of) the readers likely grew too familiar with the Warcraft orcs. Therefore the whole -omfg he's an orc- just gets a bored -so what- out of many as the 'they're not all evil and dumb, can actually be good
, big hearted and kind and intelligent' theme is already there pretty clearly in the heads of people, as The Warcraft orcs more or less taken the place of the warhammer or even LotR orcs in people's heads.

I don't think they have Warcraft or Tolkien on Discworld do they? Which is probably more THE point regarding the 'omfg he's an orc' attitude of the characters in the book that we, the readers, are reading about.

I didn't get bored with it. What is the problem with the orcs not having a backgound on DW? That's like saying, the Post Office didn't have much of a background before Going Postal. It's a new novel. I found Mr Nutt and the story of the orcs incredibly interesting.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby LilMaibe » Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 am

Well, to me it possibly was because I knew his story before from warcraft (only that it's told better there, as Thrall is nowhere near as perfect. Seriously, go and give 'Lord of the Clans' a read :) )
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

yeah, like how Gollems have always been around, but weren't "always around" before Feet Of Clay. or how they would always stop what they were doing to fight a fire, but yet didn't in jingo, or in color of magic, or in which ever book it was that the fools guild caught fire.

not to mention gnulls and goblins appearing out of no where, but had "been around" the whole time. :|
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm

It's not real! :doh:

Terry didn't write Colour of Magic and think: I'd better put a few golems in this otherwise people might wonder where they were after I've written about them twenty or so books down the line.

I know that it's the "fan" thing to do, pointing out how such and such doesn't work, because book three (for example) says something that would make it impossible. I've seen the adult nerds on The Simpsons picking out plot flaws in Itchy and Scratchy (have you all seen that episode?) - but it gets tiresome to read that people expect Terry's world to be perfect and make perfect sense.

Don't take it so seriously. Discworld and its characters are a plot device that allows Terry Pratchett to explore other issues. He didn't plot the 30th book when he wrote the first one. There are incongruities - get over it! :naughty:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby high eight » Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's not real! :doh:

Terry didn't write Colour of Magic and think: I'd better put a few golems in this otherwise people might wonder where they were after I've written about them twenty or so books down the line.

I know that it's the "fan" thing to do, pointing out how such and such doesn't work, because book three (for example) says something that would make it impossible. I've seen the adult nerds on The Simpsons picking out plot flaws in Itchy and Scratchy (have you all seen that episode?) - but it gets tiresome to read that people expect Terry's world to be perfect and make perfect sense.

Don't take it so seriously. Discworld and its characters are a plot device that allows Terry Pratchett to explore other issues. He didn't plot the 30th book when he wrote the first one. There are incongruities - get over it! :naughty:

Hear, hear! :dance: PTerry is also very unlikely to say "oh, Warcraft and Fred Bloggs' fan fiction already have warm and fuzzy orcs, that's buggered up the plot of my next book, I'd better do aeroplanes instead."
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Wed May 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's not real! :doh:

But amazingly those books before Nightwatch fit together neatly. Granted, you need a bit of imagination and the will and skill to think beyond the written text, but before Nightwatch there actually had been no need to 'excuse' minor bits with a 'fuzzy timeline'
And did you really just try to compare Discworld to Simpsons?
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm

LilMaibe wrote:And did you really just try to compare Discworld to Simpsons?

Certainly! The Simpsons, at its very best is satire. It doesn't matter that there are plot holes everywhere, the characters in Springfield are used to explore other things in much the same way that Terry uses Discworld.

The same goes for Star Trek - and I could spend days picking holes in the Star Trek universe if I thought it was important. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 pm

But, I said it before, what made Discworld so awesome (at least to me) was that it was one of the semi-satire-serieses that had consistent character instead of mere tools. Simpsons & Co have basic roles which will get adjusted to the 'story' they want to tell. With Discworld, and sorry I repeat myself here again, you had stories adjusting to the characters.
That's rare in fiction nowadays. There are only few authors out there that actually manage to keep their characters that consistent for such a long while instead of having them do 180° turns out of nowhere to have a scene/joke/moral dialogue/etc work.
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Wed May 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote: I've seen the adult nerds on The Simpsons picking out plot flaws in Itchy and Scratchy (have you all seen that episode?)

Fun fact:

The Simpsons was the first show to have a significant base of anally retentive Internet fanboys deconstruct every single episode and point out flaws in real time after each was broadcast. The Simpsons writers made fun of the fanboys by personnifying them in the character of Comic Book Man, who both uttered the group's now-familiar meme, WORST. EPISODE. EVER., and once wore it on his tent-sized T-shirt.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 am

LilMaibe wrote: but before Nightwatch there actually had been no need to 'excuse' minor bits with a 'fuzzy timeline'

coughsmallgodscough

BTW, Tony, i could care less about those flaws, I was merely pointing out they did exist before the "evil period" started.

Edit: oh, and i find it ironic that Nutt also doesn't like scatological references. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Omnia is near Djelybebi (sp?). You can blame the pyramids.

And yes, I know he does. Doesn't help things the slightest, though, as in his case it's to underline even more how oh-so-sophisticated he is. I'm just plainly annoyed by them.
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm

But there has never been any debate, that i'm aware of, of when Pyramids takes place. I've certainly never heard the consideration that the time slowing effects of the pryamids could effect anything outside of the structures themselves. let alone a whole other country.
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels