Good children's books...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Good children's books...

Postby Catch-up » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Just read two books to the girls recently that were great. The Voyage of the Basset (can't remember the author). This was a chapter book that took several nights to get through and it has incredibly beautiful illustrations! And we just read Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman. This was a shorter one, but really sweet and again with lovely illustrations.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:34 pm

James C. Christensen wrote Voyage of the Basset apparently. :)

I loved the CS Lewis Narnia series and read it to my kids when they were small and they loved it too.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

My favourite book as a child (and I still love it now) was Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson. The witches in it were brilliant :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am

I loved The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, even though it was quite sad. Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm

We read the first Narnia book a few years ago. I'd like to read it again and continue on with the others.

Dotsie, I'll see if I can get Which Witch to read to them.

Can't do Velveteen Rabbit, don't want to cry. :(
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 pm

I read the Velveteen Rabbit when I was over in Tucson last year. Sharlene had a copy. It was rather sad but a lovely story. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

One of my favorites was Wind in the Willows and I even bought the adult version of the later tales by William Horwood who wrote 4 novels. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:54 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:One of my favorites was Wind in the Willows and I even bought the adult version of the later tales by William Horwood who wrote 4 novels. :)
You might enjoy Brian Jacques 'Redwall' series Dug. It's something like Wind in the Willows, but with more battles. :D

Seriously, it's an excellent series. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 am

Thy're very violent for a bunch of mice arn't they. The bit where they tip bees on the invaders :twisted:

The chronichals of anciant darkness are good too.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby chris.ph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:56 pm

i bought redwall on somebodies reccomendation on here either tony or jason and my god there was more bloodshed in it than diehard,and its a kids book :shock: good tho :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby MattK » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 pm

One of my favorites growing up was "A Light in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein. And pretty much anything else he wrote like "The Giving Tree," "Falling Up," "Where the Sidewalk Ends."
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 pm

chris.ph wrote:i bought redwall on somebodies reccomendation on here either tony or jason and my god there was more bloodshed in it than diehard,and its a kids book :shock: good tho :lol:

Brian Jacques began writing for his blind child and the clamor for more has driven him to write a fantastic amount and yes there is bloodshed, but the good'uns always triumph.

There are puzzles to solve and cleverness is rewarded. Good behaviour is always treated positively. They make great books to read to lil ones.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:30 pm

The Borrowers... and ANYTHING by Madeline L`Engle, very kewl and very anti-Big Brother-ish. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
chris.ph wrote:i bought redwall on somebodies reccomendation on here either tony or jason and my god there was more bloodshed in it than diehard,and its a kids book :shock: good tho :lol:

Brian Jacques began writing for his blind child and the clamor for more has driven him to write a fantastic amount and yes there is bloodshed, but the good'uns always triumph.

There are puzzles to solve and cleverness is rewarded. Good behaviour is always treated positively. They make great books to read to lil ones.
He's not afraid to kill off heroes either. I've found myself laughing and shedding a tear within a few pages.

And the feasts are great! :D
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:04 am

i remember fondly a book called Stig of the dump, i loved that book and read it so many times cant remember the author thoough, and they made it into a mini series on telly but if i remember it didnt hold a light to the book.
The_Discworldaholic

Next

Return to Children's Books