Is Discworld the best?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Is Discworld the best?

Postby Prolekult » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

ah. if it comes down to sheer numbers it would have to be my local hero Agatha Christie. I tend to think that she and Terry have something in common, that their sheer popularity means the quality of their writing is somewhat underrated, like some kind of snob factor. Aside from her indisputable skill at writing mysteries, she had a beautiful writing style and had a particular gift for characterisation.
++?????++ Out Of Cheese Error. Redo From Start
Prolekult

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

author3 wrote:I was just wondsering if everyone thinks Discworld is the best series or do you prefer something like Hitch-Hikers.
So basically is Discworld the best series of books you've ever read?
For me it definitely is :D

Funnily enough, The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy is my all time favourite book. I keep Douglas Adams as separate to everything else. But yes, Discworld is the best book series I've ever read.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby jollyn » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:05 am

BatrickPatrick wrote:Certainly would win by sheer numbers of books read if that's how I was working it out :P

That's certainly true!

PS: I'm new to this forum - I've just discovered it. I think I'll find a lot here. For one thing, I didn't know about the forthcoming Steam book . .
jollyn

Postby DreadfulKata » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:48 pm

It's sort of impossible to answer because how can you compare where there's no common ground? I love the Hitchhiker's Guide series, but then I prefer the radio series slightly to the books, and then there's questions of which is the canon etc etc...

Or take His Dark Materials: I don't care for The Amber Spyglass much but my love for the first book Northern Lights is so overpowering is still balances out as one of my favourite series' (and I'm also very fond of books 2, The Subtle Knife). Proportionally, therefore, I love two thirds of HDM. I probably love (LOVE rather than just really-really-like) about two thirds of Discworld. So proportionally - about the same. But whereas two thirds of HDM means two books, that's like 26 books from Discworld. It doesn't seem a fair comparison... it's like trying to decide if you like Buffy The Vampire Slayer of Firefly better.

And then there's stuff that just doesn't seem compatible because the material is so different - how can I compare Discworld to the Philip Marlowe books or the Sherlock Holmes stories and say which I love the best? They just offer a completely different experience.

But if you held a gonne to my head for an answer I guess I'd have to say yes; Discworld is my favourite series.
DreadfulKata

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Having just got back from seeing Sir Terry in Brighton, I was most struck by the sheer diversity of the age range of his audience. This ranged from obvious school kids right up to octogenarians (and probably above). Do other writers have such a wide age gap of fans? (I ask this because I have not attended any events involving other writers and really don't know.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

when I was at the Gaiman signing there was babies in buggys now that's dedication to fandom
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Penner's it depends on the author, but it was near enough for GRR Martin at Worldcon, although Pterry may take the crown there.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Discworld novels