Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Is Discworld the best?

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Well said, Majblast! Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Evergreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 am

Discoworld series is best of the best in fictional literature. But i believe there is is alot of great books with same level in the world - in all genres.

(sry for my bad eng)
Evergreen

Postby TimBou » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 am

Majblast wrote:Um, no. There are many other books or book series that I think can lay claim to being better than Discworld books. HOWEVER, if dropped alone on a desert island I was given the choice of only ONE author's books to keep me company, I would choose Sir Terry Pratchett's. They are really that good, rather lengthy in their entirety, and the humor would do me some good.

Also, if rescued by aliens who might ask me about humanity, I really think I could describe the lengh and breadth of all of Western Civilization's history and all it's moral, religious, psychological,philosophical, political, economic, and mythlogical thought using my own education and the Discworld series as a crib sheet. And a large chunk of the same for Eastern and other civilization's as well. Really if you look at the books it's pretty much all there-some of it writ boldy and other bits like the shadows in Plato's cave. Provided I wasn't pressed to describe the relevancy of Nobby I'd do OK.

Nicely said. To me, Nobby is nothing without Sgt Colon then he forms the perfect comic duo like Lenny and Carl in the Simpsons - they can provide the counterpoint to just about anything with their uninformed, off-kilter, completely left-field perspectives on any "serious" topic - I thought they were at the top of their game in this respect re the world of art in "Thud!".... "Nude women are only Art if there's an urn in it... or a plinth..."
TimBou

Postby Natalya » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 am

DiscWorld is the best for me (apart from books of two Russian co-authors which write under nick "Henry Layon Oldi", but no need to compare it because it's quite different!).
DiscWorld is the best for me because:
no books which can pick up me from deep depression apart from DW
no books which can teach me love my life (in any cases) apart from DW
no books where such simple words falls down in middle of my heart apart from DW
However... It's as poem, soul music: someone hear it as very beatiful sounds but other people can hear not... It's depend from our own soul tuning.
I think it is impossible to say "this is the best" without continue "for..." .
For example: I love my husband but my husband not love TP books ( He says "they are so simple for me! not interesting!"). :)
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby author3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Very interesting Natalya
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby pip » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Very good. So has your husband read one yet. My girlfriend said that for years then she finally gave in and read Soul music and got a little hooked. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Natalya » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 am

pip wrote:Very good. So has your husband read one yet. My girlfriend said that for years then she finally gave in and read Soul music and got a little hooked. :D

:D
I hope that my husband will read TP eventually, too. Perhaps, when he will became older.... :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Natalya wrote:
pip wrote:Very good. So has your husband read one yet. My girlfriend said that for years then she finally gave in and read Soul music and got a little hooked. :D

:D
I hope that my husband will read TP eventually, too. Perhaps, when he will became older.... :)

Natalya, do you mean when he grows up. :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Natalya » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote: Natalya, do you mean when he grows up. :lol: :mrgreen:

Perhaps if he'd got older, he would have grown up! ;)
(Oh! I hope I didn't make many mistakes at... in one sentence??? :))
Natalya
Natalya

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 am

Oh, don't worry. If you feel like you made a mistake, just feel free to ask. We won't bite your head off.
LilMaibe

Postby S@mwich » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:59 am

I chose not to pick sides, I enjoy : discworld, hitch hickers guide, Harry potter, percy jackson, diary of a wimpy kid, Alex rider, the kane chronicles, and lots more.But the only thing is, I still haven't figured out how I've managed it, along with school, gaming, homework and much much more, and I'm only in 14!
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby TimBou » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:37 am

S@mwich wrote:I chose not to pick sides, I enjoy : discworld, hitch hickers guide, Harry potter, percy jackson, diary of a wimpy kid, Alex rider, the kane chronicles, and lots more.But the only thing is, I still haven't figured out how I've managed it, along with school, gaming, homework and much much more, and I'm only in 14!

14 is the perfect time to read all of this stuff in my opinion. I'm 48 now, but one of my fondest reading memories is still of when I was about 14 staying up till 3am to read the end of Lord of the Rings - unforgettable!
TimBou

Postby Turtles4Ever » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes, for me the Discworld series is easily the best. Up until Discworld, I was an avid re-reader of Tolkien and Robert Holdstock (the Mythago Wood books), but now Terry's vast variety and (mostly) wonderful story-telling means that I have re-read his books far more than I did for Tolkien's and Holdstock's works.

I just love the variety and situations in Terry's writing - some light, some pretty dark. And most of the characters are superb.

Having said that, I'm not beyond criticising his output - for my tastes 'Snuff' is dreadful, as is the much earlier 'Moving Pictures'. Still, those are but minor hiccups compared to Terry's largely superb output which has kept me entertained for hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of hours.

Thank you Terry! :D
Turtles4Ever

Postby Prolekult » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Personally I thought Hitch Hikers series was pretty overrated. Maybe I should give it another try. Tolkien - zzzzz. Love the Rankin books. Almost loved HIs Dark Materials and then the last book was a bit of a mess, which I thought was a tragedy as it could have been the best ever.
The Flashman books were OK but I thought the Pyrates was much funnier, loved that one.
++?????++ Out Of Cheese Error. Redo From Start
Prolekult

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

I think for me Hitchhiker's and Discworld are tied. I'm not sure if Terry's my favourite author tho - but definately close. Certainly would win by sheer numbers of books read if that's how I was working it out :P
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels