Conventions...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Conventions...

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:38 am

Well, just been to Supanova once more, this time on the Gold Coast. Got autographs from Alan Dean Foster and Janet Fielding. The former is a fairly well-known science fiction and fantasy author who has done many novelisations, and the latter is better known as Tegan Jovanka, the feisty Aussie stewardess from Doctor Who.

So, convention experiences? Who've you met, what loot did you get, what entertaining or embarassing anecdotes you have, etc? :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Re: Conventions...

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:11 am

In my life I've only been to two dubbing festivals, where I met a lot of my favourite dubbers.
I don't know if this counts though, since they are not famous, just dubbers. They count for me, since in both occasions I met my fav of all, and the second time he remembered about me :D (they don't have a lot of fanatic fans, so I guess that wasn't soo difficult after all).
Really sorry I didn't go anymore after those two, but started working and couldn't anymore :(
CrysaniaMajere

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am

What's a dubber Chrys? :?:
spideyGirl

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:46 am

A voice actor. Over in English-speaking countries, it'd be mostly for anime, but I'm guessing, seeing as CrysaniaMajere comes from Italy, that it's for films from overseas, dubbed into Italian.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 am

Oh I see! :D
spideyGirl

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Been to Anime supercon here. pretty fun. missed the good stuff though. Spike Spencer (a dubber :lol: ) was there but we got there to late for the panel. :( got a couple cheap box sets though :).

want to go to a DW con one day though.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm

I've been going to Cons for the last 30 odd years, started with Fantasycon ,Novacons, Eastercons and Discworldcon then progressed to European Cons and Worldcons, I've met many Authors and some Artists & Publishers some of whom I'm still in touch with, I get to at least three or four a year it's a good hobby and have made a few friends from Europe and the States we meet up at a couple of Cons, I would like to go to Comic com sometime but may have left it a little too late. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am

The thought of going to a Con makes me feel ill, with all those people milling around, but somewhere deep down inside, there's a small hankering to go to San Diego Comic Con!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm

That is a very big one, well say massive! Bouncy between 30,000 & 50,000 people, Dragoncon 20 odd thousand,Worldcons between 4,000 & 8,000 depending on location, this years in Chicago will be be quite big.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

I know it's huge, but a part of me wanted to go when Buffy/Angel cast were still attending.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Spike Spencer (a dubber :lol: ) was there but we got there to late for the panel.

I'd want to meet him. I feel sorry for him, typecast after playing Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Molokov » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 am

I really only started with Discworld Conventions - Nullus Anxietas I, II, III and the UK Discworld Con (2010), but recently started attending the pop expos here in Australia - probably because they came to Adelaide for the first time last year.

Armageddon Expo 2011 in Adelaide, I saw Pat Tallman (Babylon 5), John Rhys Davies (Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings), Christopher Heyerdahl and Ryan Robbins (Sanctuary), David Hewlett (Stargate Atlantis), Lance Henriksen (Aliens, etc) Robert Rankin (the author), and a few others.

Armageddon Expo 2011 in Melbourne, I saw Nick Brendon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Sanctuary), Robin Dunne (Sanctuary), Callum Blue (Dead Like Me), Marc Shephard (pretty much every show ever), Jeff Lewis & Sandeep Paraikh (The Guild) and a few more.

Oz Comic Con 2012 in Adelaide, I saw Ben Browder and Gigi Edgley (Farscape), Jewel Staite (Firefly, Stargate Atlantis), and Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings, The Colour of Magic).

I'm also planning to go to Armageddon in Melbourne in October, mainly because there'll be four Babylon 5 guests - Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan, Pat Tallman and show writer/creator J. Michael Straczynski himself.

But before then, I've got a convention of my own to run - the Unseen University Convivium: http://ausdwcon.org :)
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Quatermass wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:Spike Spencer (a dubber :lol: ) was there but we got there to late for the panel.

I'd want to meet him. I feel sorry for him, typecast after playing Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I know. the only decent stand out that wasn't a shinji rip was one of the villains in Spriggan. But i still love the outtake on the Eva dvds of him seeing the Evangelion ending for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzjuf686oA
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I know it's huge, but a part of me wanted to go when Buffy/Angel cast were still attending.

Arrrrrrgh.

http://tvline.com/2012/06/27/firefly-co ... niversary/

Want. To. Go.

:geek:

Bouncy Castle

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:09 pm

10 years?! Already?! wow.

and since getting into my other fandom i haven't really had the urge to do any of the conventions or meetups (even with the impressive guest list at everfree northwest). Just not that interested. this doesn't change that, but it comes pretty -ing close.

I nearly lost it when he mentioned hooking a game console up to it.

raptornx01

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre