Top 5 Terry Pratchett novels

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 am

Hi there Malanur - the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about :wink:

Small Gods is BIG on here actually if you look back a bit, but in a way it's a fairly serious (or maybe personal) subject matter, so some people rate the more entertaining books ahead of it. It's certainly my favourite Disc book. :D

As for Sourcery I agree with you 100% on Rincewind. He's a great character, realistic and honest (instead of trying to be brave and dead :P ). It's an early book though and in those Terry's still finding out about Discworld himself in a way, so the Disc is still growing and being defined and therefore not so well thought out as the later books? That's one of the most interesting things about reading Terry I find, because sometimes you feel as though you're learning about the new places and people with him :lol: I felt very sorry for Coin in that actually - especially when the staff was being mean to him, when all he wanted was friends and to have people like him :(

Lots to do and talk about on here anyway so enjoy exploring the site and the other people on here :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:43 am

Hello and Welcome, Malanur. Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Cheery » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello and welcome Malanur!

A lot of us have our problems with spelling (like me; my head's stuck in a dictionnary half the time), so that's no problem.

Shpeeling isant dat empourtant, as loong as yoo haf fon! :lol:
Cheery

Postby malanur » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Hey, that’s very kind of you all, I really appreciate this :D
the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about

Thank you for that too… well, I often have the feeling that my German makes it somehow difficult to manage English word order. You know, to express what one wants to express and not to do a word-by-word translation. I fear some of my sentences may sound very weird :wink:
Yeah, the whole Coin story was touching, especially the last few scenes at the top of the tower, when the older wizards finally just turn their backs at him… nasty, nasty father he had. There were also a lot of scenes when I actually felt really sorry for Rincewind (the moment Conina meets Nijel for the first time for example or – even worse – when he pulls off his hat, shouting: “What does this tell you?” and some honest barbarian hero answers “That you can’t spell” or something … a complete downfall :lol: )

So, thank you so much for the nice welcoming, I’m looking forward to explore the topics
malanur

Postby Cheery » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:57 pm

malanur wrote:Hey, that’s very kind of you all, I really appreciate this :D
the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about

Thank you for that too… well, I often have the feeling that my German makes it somehow difficult to manage English word order. You know, to express what one wants to express and not to do a word-by-word translation. I fear some of my sentences may sound very weird :wink:
Yeah, the whole Coin story was touching, especially the last few scenes at the top of the tower, when the older wizards finally just turn their backs at him… nasty, nasty father he had. There were also a lot of scenes when I actually felt really sorry for Rincewind (the moment Conina meets Nijel for the first time for example or – even worse – when he pulls off his hat, shouting: “What does this tell you?” and some honest barbarian hero answers “That you can’t spell” or something … a complete downfall :lol: )

So, thank you so much for the nice welcoming, I’m looking forward to explore the topics

I haven't read that book in a long time. There are a lot of discworld books
I have to reread, because I didn't understand them back then. But I want to read them in English, not in german... Should have a look on the internet sometime...
Cheery

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm

welcome to the site malanur :)

this is exactly what i mean about nonenglish people apoligizing for their bad grammer when its word perfect and a damn site better than mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh :roll:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:45 pm

We Still Love You Chris... and Welcome Malanur. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am

Sorry I'm a bit late :oops: Welcome(willkommen :wink: ) Malanur
Small gods is one of my favourite Pratchett novels too! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby malanur » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 pm

aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

Oh, I’m sorry for that :wink:
Thanks for the welcoming (Bewillkommnung) though :D Very nice of you all, though I am completely new to message boards I already feel really comfortable here ^^

haven't read that book in a long time. There are a lot of discworld books
I have to reread, because I didn't understand them back then. But I want to read them in English, not in german... Should have a look on the internet sometime...

Yes, that’s really amazing. I’ve been reading the series back in my 13s/14s and my 17s/18s and I still find so many details I’ve simply missed. I'm sure there must be dozens of worldplays I didn't really get because of my poor vocabulary back then - which is an advantage really as it leaves a lot of things to be discovered yet :wink:
malanur

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:03 pm

It is my own little theory that all TP books need to be read more than one time. There are simply too many puns, and crunchy bits to digest in one reading. I have read some of them three and four times and still find new things I missed. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm

There are an awful lot of things that go right over my head in the Discworld books.

But that's coz I'm simple! :D

I was re-reading Music With Rocks In (can't for the life of me remember the real name) and I knew there were some nods to rock bands (Madness, and Deff Leppard spring to mind) but others just left me bewildered.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Twas Soul Music :wink:

Can't remember any references though :? Long time since I read it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Soul Music. :wink:

You could always check out the annotations on L-Space.org. HERE'S the one for Soul Music.

And HERE'S the ones for the rest of the books. :D

One of the best references in Soul Music (I thought) was the song that Imp sings at the festrival with his newly repaired harp. The song is called Sioni Bod Da, which could be translated from Welsh as Johnny B Good.

And Imp Y Celin really can be translated from Welsh as Bud of the Holly (Buddy Holly). :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Soul Music.

Copy cat :wink:

Tonyblack wrote:And Imp Y Celin really can be translated from Welsh as Bud of the Holly (Buddy Holly). :lol:

Aha! Did get that one :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

But did you get the one in Thud!? Koom Valley - in Welsh the word for a valley is a 'cwm' pronounced 'koom'. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels