And the next Discworld movie will be ...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: And the next Discworld movie will be ...

Postby Hvitveis » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm

My pet peeve (sp?) with all of them is that this crazy city AM that never sleeps is so quiet in all of the movies, I imagine because budget is budget but they all lack the chaos that is a big city, and so the sets feels cold and almost sterile. I hope they continue to cast diferent actors as vetinari, thus all of us will end up with one we can live with in at least one movie?
Hvitveis

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah, these books really do deserve the big budget treatment. its too bad every time one of the books gets set for a big theatrical movie the deal falls through.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm

On a note on UA:
As they are apparently are through with panning and started/are starting shooting, I went to check if there are any news on the cast.
What I found instead was well...devasting. Apparently the german sevenone media is on board at the production, having had a say in adapting the script.
The book and my dislike for it aside:
NO STORY deserves that.
Why?
Let me put it like this:
Said group is rather infamous for their handing of comedy and movies in general.
Their creme de la creme of writing usually amounts to 'Hey, let us steal the plot from this semi-famous/cult movie, throw out the elements/ideas that cause the whole thing to work and replace it with something utterly inappropiate'
If they had any say in the adaption... Good Night...
Take everything I ever complained about when it comes to the book and threat it as true, objective describtion and you get an idea of what sevenone usually does when it comes to movies.
I don't have much hope...
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 pm

LilMaibe wrote:What I found instead was well...devasting. Apparently the german sevenone media is on board at the production, having had a say in adapting the script.

Oh, I don't know why you're worried. Everyone knows that Germans are masters in the comedic tradition. :D
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Cut the sarcasm....I live in Germany...I KNOW what that group is capable of......You have NO idea.
LilMaibe

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 pm

On a further note:
Does anyone have ANY news on it? Cast? Release date? Other info?
With CoM and GP one at least heard about the cast before IIRC, but here...
LilMaibe

Postby Molokov » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Terry & Rob tweeted this on March 12:

"We received the treatment for UA parts 1&2 on Friday and will read them as soon as we get to the end of Dodger."
https://twitter.com/#!/terryandrob/stat ... 1661750272

Of course, this was just prior to their recent Borneo trip, so who knows if they have had a chance to review the script yet. I suspect the rest of production will go ahead (with further announcements) once Terry has approved the script.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 am

Ah, thanks.
Though...what will happen if they find it not good after all?
LilMaibe

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 am

Terry has cancelled movies before when he didn't approve of the script. That's why he always keeps final approval over the script. I hope he will stick to his principles with UA as well as he has with Mort over the years. While I'd love to see it done well, I would hate to see it done badly. That said, Terry has also been very flexible about plot elements as long as certain key lines that are important to him are kept in, and he has had to fight for them on occasion. I believe that the key line in GP was the "Deliver us" line - the Mob wanted to remove it.
=Tamar

Postby mistique65 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 am

I personally liked all the film & adaptions, i guess i'm just used to the fact that their "adaptions", which means that their not exactly the same as the book, either for money or creative reasons.
I'm just glad they are making them, i loved Going Postal, i personally felt it had all the elements needed to tell the story.
I never ever realised until reading the forums that Vetinari had the wrong color hair, it was the acting that won the role for me, i do hope that they get to Making Money, which i beleive Sir T wanted to make next.
I've read almost all the Diskworld books, except Hogfather, Wintersmith and Maurice, and so far the only one i havn't loved was Moving Pictures, perhaps because there was not much of the "Regular Characters".
I'd realy like to see "Guards Guards" made, though i can't think who would be cast as Commander Vimes that would give credit to the role.
I'm looking foward to UA, which i hope comes soon, and i don't think i'll care if things are a bit off, because as i said at the start, there "adaptions".

I wonder how much it costs to make these films? and wheather something like Kickstarted might help raise some money for them, i know i'd put in to see more of the Books be made for the Big screen, in the meantime, i'll have to rewatch my collection and re-read the books.

Thank you for letting me share my opinions.

:)
mistique65

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:16 am

Welcome to the site, mistique65! :D

I agree, Vimes is going to be a difficult person to cast. I wonder who they'll get for the Watch TV series.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Seimimac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:12 am

I always thought James Bolam would have been a great Sam Vimes...too old now of course...
Seimimac

Postby fids » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:01 pm

When I think of Colon I see Mel Smith, Nobby is obviously Rob Brydon and Carrot is Steve Marchant, he does a very good officious which Carrot is in the early, well all the books :mrgreen: They can keep Angua from Going psotal, yes keep her :D

Vimes, Ray Winstone ?
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:33 am

Nah, he's got too chubby. I like Eddie Marsan for the role.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby octarinefire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 pm

I own them all on DVD and like them all in their own special ways. I really love Wyrd Sisters even though it is in cartoon format and when I read the book (which is one of my Pratchett favourites) I hear the witches’ voices as they are in the animated feature. The stand out feature of these for me was that they established Christopher Lee as the voice of Death. As a result, whilst The Hogfather had a wonderful look and feel, Ian Richardson just wasn't the voice of Death for me - that HAS to be Sir Christopher Lee. I really wish that they would go back and dub over Death's lines with Sir Christopher as that would make it just perfect!
I agree that David Jason did not make as good a Rincewind as he did Albert. Rincewind to me should be stringier, rangier and hungrier looking lol. I also felt Twoflower should have had an Eastern appearance - which becomes important when you finally get to visit him in his home country in 'Interesting Times' - which is very similar to China. Sean Astin did give a good performance though.
I liked Going Postal but agree that Charles Dance didn't look as much like Vetinari as I would have liked. He looked a little too 'safe' whilst Jeremy Irons got the edge of menace which Vetinari has just right - even though he cradled Wuffles all the way through his 'interview/audience' with Rincewind.
I would love for Sky to do more adaptations. The quality of casting, set and design is wonderful and the scripts are mostly spot-on. I think involvement from Sir Terry helps keep things on track more.
As long as there are Pratchett fans - and let's face it there always will be - they will find an appreciative audience.
octarinefire

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre