Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:14 pm

bj420 wrote:I've just finished this book and came here to see if my reading was similar to others, but I've seen no reference to my interpretation of the book which may suggest I am wrong.

Ignoring the gender issues in the book (hard when that is the main idea), I believe that Simon is, in fact, meant to be the Disc's Einstein. He breaks down the behaviour of the entire disc into numbers and equations, and the others all can see that it all makes a lot of sense even if they can't understand it.

The creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions are probably a reference to the powers behind Einstein's theory, i.e. the dangers of nuclear technology. The wisdom to know all about the science but not to use it reflects the same situation with regards to nuclear weaponry and maybe even nuclear power etc.

The new science that Esk and Simon went off to study is probably relativity and quantum physics.

Am I way off track or was this just too obvious to be mentioned here?

Cheers,
BJ

Hi bj

Nice theory! :P I'll certainly believe it. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Sex and puberty certainly equates with Einsteinian theory and not messing with nuclear physics - magic mushrooms are scary enough without radiation etc kicking in :twisted:

E=MC2 could take on a whole new meaning on the sex side but as a female I'm rather underwhelmed in that department so it could make a nice change :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi BJ

I like the theory but not convinced Simon is Einstein he's far too succesful too young, no years in a patent office for him, plus he and Esk beat the monsters and I doubt Terry thinks were on top of the potential monsters of nuclear

worth thinking about though
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Re: Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby Tenthegg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I wondered what anyone thought of Esk's constant questioning of the status quo in this book. Aside from her questioning of why women can't be wizards throughout, she questions why women can't go out and seek their fortune when sailing up the Ankh (p117) and questions and changes idoly some of the market wrongs in Ohulan, like the chained up monkey (p101). she seems to always be going against the grain.

"she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don’t apply to you." (p127)
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, Indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.'
Tenthegg

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Seemed to be a very kid thing to do. thats outsider looking in thing. seemed natural to me. I honestly had wanted to know the answers myself. (even though they were never really answered)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tenthegg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am

raptornx01 wrote:Seemed to be a very kid thing to do. thats outsider looking in thing. seemed natural to me. I honestly had wanted to know the answers myself. (even though they were never really answered)

Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, Indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.'
Tenthegg

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Tenthegg wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:Seemed to be a very kid thing to do. thats outsider looking in thing. seemed natural to me. I honestly had wanted to know the answers myself. (even though they were never really answered)

Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.

Agreed! He rarely seems to explain things in his books at a later date either. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tenthegg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.[/quote]

But nonetheless, there seems sometimes to be a moral message behind alot of it, a sense that our actions define us morally. I don't know if this is apparent to anyone else or if I'm just reading into it too much :?

I know Terry himself is a Humanist and I think sometimes his characters take on a sort of humanism too.
Tenthegg

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 pm

He's a cynic, thats really the long and the short of it.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ziriath » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Discworld is big...There must be people, who doesnt sort themselves neither into the 'Witch' nor 'Wizard' folder, maybe because they don't know the conventions, and they do their own magic. Also I think there must be people with weak and unusable, randomly striking magic power. It would be very interesting.

Speaking of female wizards, do you remember Marchesa, that black girl from Krull? She has a staff and she said she is a 5th level wizard. It seems the witch-wizard sorting is mainly a convention of the 'civilised' land.
Ziriath

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 am

Ziriath wrote:
Speaking of female wizards, do you remember Marchesa, that black girl from Krull? She has a staff and she said she is a 5th level wizard. It seems the witch-wizard sorting is mainly a convention of the 'civilised' land.

Indeed! Although I suspect that the A-M wizards wouldn't count her as she's foreign and they don't do think properly in foreign parts. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:02 am

Ziriath wrote:Speaking of female wizards, do you remember Marchesa, that black girl from Krull? She has a staff and she said she is a 5th level wizard. It seems the witch-wizard sorting is mainly a convention of the 'civilised' land.

Good point. The AM Wizards being stuffy traditionalists is part of the fun though isn't it. But it isn't all about the Wizards Poo-pooing Witchcraft as nonsense and not real magic. Granny doesn't like the Wizards for the same reasons.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote: The AM Wizards being stuffy traditionalists is part of the fun though isn't it.

you could easily put Granny in that sentence instead of AM wizards :lol: i think that whole area of the world is kinda like that.

Though granny does sort of acknowledge that men can be "close" to being a witch. she even remarks on this about someone, but i can't remember who. "as close to being a witch as you can get while still being male" or something like that.
raptornx01

Postby Ziriath » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:07 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote: The AM Wizards being stuffy traditionalists is part of the fun though isn't it.

you could easily put Granny in that sentence instead of AM wizards :lol: i think that whole area of the world is kinda like that.

Though granny does sort of acknowledge that men can be "close" to being a witch. she even remarks on this about someone, but i can't remember who. "as close to being a witch as you can get while still being male" or something like that.

I think it was the royal beekeeper in Lords and Ladies.
Ziriath

Re: Equal Rites - revised and badly copy-edited?

Postby =Tamar » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:46 am

Back on Nov 10, 2009:
kakaze wrote:I think she knew about the spirkles and the weevils due to her three years of witchcraft training.

I knew somebody else had to have noticed that time reference.

I've been rereading Equal Rites along with the crowd at Mark Reads, and we haven't quite reached the section where Granny thinks of having spent three years training Esk. There is a problem there. Esk is eight years old when she begins training with Granny. Esk is still eight years old - "almost nine" - when she goes to UU, arriving when Simon does. Simon gives a lecture that she hears when he has only been there two weeks and shortly after that the climactic action of the story happens. She can't have spent three years with Granny!

Earlier in the book, when Esk is in the apple tree and Gulta and Cern are hassling her, and the staff turns Gulta into a pig, Gulta is referred to as the smith's fifth son. There are supposed to be seven boys in all, and Cern must be younger, so he might be the sixth. Where's the seventh?

I think Equal Rites began as a non-Discworld story with the seventh son of a seventh son trope and with Esk going to UU when she was eleven, a typical age for the hero of a UK children's book to go away to school, whether it's magic or not. A search-and-replace command would change the age from eleven to eight, but would miss the mention of three years. Similarly a reference to a seventh son could easily be changed to eighth, but a search would miss a reference to a fifth son.

A copy-editor should have caught those traces.
=Tamar

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels