And the next Discworld movie will be ...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: And the next Discworld movie will be ...

Postby meerkat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Ditto my earlier remark. As much as I repsect David Jason, admire his work and other insincere acting comments, He just IS NOT Rincewind and never will be!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Although he made a good Albert,but a terrible Rincewind.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am

After Going Postal I'm not going to watch any more DW adaptations. They are just terrible. I tried to be positive but when my 14 year old said, 'What have they done?' when she watched GP I just couldn't keep up the charade any more. They are terrible and that's all there is to it. There, I've said it, and nevermind the booing and heckling.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Molokov » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 am

I'll agree with you that Hogfather and TCOM left a lot to be desired[1], but I thought the Going Postal adaptation was very well done. Then again, I've done a fair bit of Discworld theatre (10 years ago) and seen many many of the plays, so I'm used to having subplots and characters dropped or modified, as it's necessary for any sort of adaptation to other media.

[1] I thought Hogfather & TCOM had brilliant sets and costumes and props that looked /just/ right, but the script, casting (not all characters, but quite a few) and direction was somewhat lacking. Thus I place the blame for my disappointment in those two purely on Vadim Jean (Writer/Director), whereas Going Postal was much better, with a different script writer & director.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby meerkat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 am

WWD, yes, I agree, he did make a cracking Albert.

I have been in one of Sir T's plays (as I have bored some of you to tears with). It was Going Postal (cries of, yes yes,we already know!!!!) and there were many things different. Which, as a Pratchett Fan disappointed me.
As I watch Going Potal now I say the words along with Reacher Gilt! I miss some Characters from the book too. I just wish films could last long enough to include everything!
However, GP was the best of the three films,but the other two did have good bits that were worth watching. The Thieves guild I thought was well done in H and I did like Death - except in COM.

Ah well, at least we have the books. :mrgreen:
meerkat

Postby Ziriath » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:28 pm

It seemed to me Going Postal novel is the only Discworld book the author of the GP movie has ever read- and not whole, cos he forgot the book on a train and had to let someone retell him the rest of the book.
Like: Oh, there's a blonde werewolf chick in Ankh-Morpork? Let's throw her in! She's not in the book? Doesn't matter.
Vetinari has a cane? He must be an older guy. (Dunno how the other fans see it, for me C. Dance is not Vetinari at all)
And this bit is not interesting enough- let's add some hanging-by-the-fingertips scene!
Smoking is bad. Adora should stop it.

The B.S. Johnson's machine was essential to the story- but it was missing. I missed there many good bits- Groat's alchemy, the cat, initiation test etc.
Ziriath

Postby meerkat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm

No, I don't like Charles Dance as Lord Vetinari. Whilst very good at cold and chilling,
a) he wasn't dark haired,
b) not thin enough
c) just not right!

Now, Richard Armitage, for example...... :drool:
meerkat

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 am

Personally i thought Hogfather was the best out of the movies. not perfect, but their best attempt. going postal was.... meh.

and Angua was in it (the book), briefly, but i never liked how they portrayed her in the movie. too hard edged, to gothy, to much of a standard movie werewolf. instead of just a pretty, normal looking girl, who turned into a normal looking blonde wolf (instead of the usual wolfman type of WW).
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Rincewind-Type of cheese? » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I agree that Hogfather would be the best of the movies, I think it captured the book's humour very well, and the actor who played Teatime seemed to know what he was doing (even if he didn't play the character quite as I imagined him).
I want Jeremy Irons back as Vetinari. He was the highlight of The Colour of Magic for me. Charles Dance didn't fit the role. And I think Death must make at least a cameo in each movie. His absence in GP somewhat irked me.
Ho! The megapode!
Rincewind-Type of cheese?

Postby Penfold » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I definitely agree with Jeremy Irons as Vetinari, he is almost exactly how I envisioned him. :D

As for Rincewind, I really don't think David Jason fitted the part at all. I rather suspect that his casting was more of a ploy by the production company to appeal to the public who have never heard of Discworld and boost ratings. Of course, David Jason is a fan of DW (I believe) and he might always have asked for the part himself, a request I might have found hard to decline if I was in their shoes and worried about ratings. :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Ziriath » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I wonder, how readers imagined Vetinari, before the Kidby's illustrations were made. 'My' Havelock is beardless and has a ponytail. With black velvet ribbon.
The 'official' V from later books looks too much like a generic authority with black hair and beard, sort of Mirror Spock stereotype.
Ziriath

Postby meerkat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

My own Vetinari is somewhere between the Vetinari drawn in ''Where's my Cow?' this, Image and Jeremy Irons portrayal.
meerkat

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

basically, Alan Rickman you mean? :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ramtopsman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:17 pm

I personally believe that Hogfather was the best adaptation out of all the DW sky adaptations

The characters were well cast and the costumes and backdrop was perfect as for the writing its understandble why things where dropped you would have to make a 5 hour long movie for everything to be put in

Colour of magic / light fantastic (PERSONAL OPINION) There was alot to be desired Character selection was wrong for my liking David jason was not the rincewind i imagined although the character of twoflower was kept to my liking i could say im sorry to the Jeremy Iron fans but i didnt think i could believe him as vetinari with a lisp he didnt capture the character for my liking, The backdrop was perfect for Ank during the day but alot of peices where missing from the book which could of been kept in not to mention hurun the barbarian was completely absent from the entire adaptation

Going postal: Characters were really well chosen and very true to the book (YES) including charles dance as vetinari minus the fact he didnt have Jet black hair he had the personality as derived in the later books, The backdrop to ank was a little different to previous backdrops but was still very well recreated as a evolution in ank, Although they missed ALOT from the book and even tried to add a anti smoking message into the story which i did not agree with

My oppinion and choice in order

Hogfather
Going Postal
Colour of magic

And to plug myself further check out http://www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman to find all of these movies pluss audioplays news and much much more
Check out all things pratchett at

www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman
ramtopsman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Hogfather was my favorite as well, in fact I agree with your summary of the rest. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre