The sad bits...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:37 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :o

Probably Jan that sent that message! :lol:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )

hmmm, prolly in the bit where Angua and Gaspode had to go up against the "dog gang" and Fluffy the Terrible.

I don't see why... Gaspode Rocks.

Plus, Gaspode saved Vimes butt with the subliminal messages about the superiors itchy bum in one book, egads that was hilarious. you are feeling itchy... very, very itchy, oh you must scratch it Now.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Yes, he's a really good character that most people like and it's always good to see him in a book. But Terry had to rewrite him after Moving Pictures because the other animals lost their ability to talk after the Holy Wood magic went away. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Gaspode is great! :D I think Terry had originaly planned to kill him off at the end of Moving Pictures
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Gaspode is great! :D I think Terry had originaly planned to kill him off at the end of Moving Pictures
Funny you should say that - I think I heard that too. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 pm

After MP Gaspode went to live on the dump beside UU - hence my wondering what he'd been eating over there on the AM&HER threads...? :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby swreader » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 am

As to Gaspode, Terry had to give him some reason to continue to be able to talk. And he has a good deal of fun with him in the various appearances in other books. He is, as Vimes thinks in 5th Elephant, the "Corporal Nobbs" of the canine world.

But returning to what I would call "emotional moments" not exactly sad but touching--it seems to me there are several of them in Nightwatch--such as when Vimes/Keel loses his guiding star, and gets the cigar case as his link to Sybil; and working with a number of men whom he remembers that he knows will die; and even the moment at the end when Vetinari tells Vimes of his role on that fateful March 25th and why he also wears the lilac and then goes on to offer to rebuild the old watch house.

Thud! of course is full of such tensions--and addition to those already mentioned Vimes's reaction when he discovers that Sybil is being held by the Baron and the whole of the bringing the Scone back (from Sybil's song through the King's examination of Dee and Sybil's negotiations with the king) seem to me to be very moving. We see certainly in Vimes reaction to Sybil's announcement that she is going to have a baby a marvellous description of Vimes's feelings for her.
swreader

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:44 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :o

Probably Jan that sent that message! :lol:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )

hmmm, prolly in the bit where Angua and Gaspode had to go up against the "dog gang" and Fluffy the Terrible.

I don't see why... Gaspode Rocks.

Plus, Gaspode saved Vimes butt with the subliminal messages about the superiors itchy bum in one book, egads that was hilarious. you are feeling itchy... very, very itchy, oh you must scratch it Now.

Just read that one..... prickle, prickle, prickle :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I Loved that bit. hehehehehe :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby bikkit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 am

That bit in theif of time when Uinity commis suicide :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 am

WeeKelda wrote:That bit in theif of time when Uinity commis suicide :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yes but... Death By Chocolate. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby raspberry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

I forgot to mention Cuddy as well (Men at Arms) and his friendship with Detritus.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby Beth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby

That's actually from Carpe Jugulum. I'm rereading it for the umpteenth time and I just read that part. It is very sad to me and says so much about Granny. It happens on the night of the naming of the baby when she thinks she's not invited and there's a sudden knocking at the door and she's called to attend because a cow has kicked Florence Ivy.

I find the part of Fifth Elephant where Gaspode sacrifices himself to be very emotional and I agree that most of Feet of Clay is. I think the part of Nightwatch where one by one the watchmen are killed at the end is very sad. It makes me cry.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby perditax » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am

There's also a bit where Granny Weatherwax gets death to take a cow instead of a baby in Maskerade, they play poker for it
People who don't need people need people around to see that they don't need people
perditax

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

Beth wrote:
i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby

That's actually from Carpe Jugulum. I'm rereading it for the umpteenth time and I just read that part. It is very sad to me and says so much about Granny. It happens on the night of the naming of the baby when she thinks she's not invited and there's a sudden knocking at the door and she's called to attend because a cow has kicked Florence Ivy.

I find the part of Fifth Elephant where Gaspode sacrifices himself to be very emotional and I agree that most of Feet of Clay is. I think the part of Nightwatch where one by one the watchmen are killed at the end is very sad. It makes me cry.

I agree that that part is from Maskarade and not CJ. It is when they are at a coaching in for the night.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 am

perditax wrote:There's also a bit where Granny Weatherwax gets death to take a cow instead of a baby in Maskerade, they play poker for it
Welcome to the site perditax! :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels