Rincewind - Where is the love?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Rincewind - Where is the love?

Postby ladyramkin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I know I'm being stupid, but it seems a bit disloyal of Terry to drop Rinso, when he was the one who got him started in the first place. Perhaps just one more book, to make sure he is OK. Rincewind that is, not Terry.
ladyramkin

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Unlikely, sadly.
Rinso appeared in UA with a role far too small to be of importance and yet too big for a mere cameo. And what he had there were a few lines rather leeching on his reputation (granted, there was one that ranks as my absolute favourite lines in Discworld history...well...the condensed version at least, but still) than actually Rincewind being Rincewind. :cry:

There might, in addition, be other reasons for him not being featured centrally again as well, but those would only be speculation.
LilMaibe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I think all the wizards now bore Terry to tears as they're not as interesting as the Witches because they don't interact with people enough (or properly). Their future has really been more in the Science of the Discworld series which allows their more analytical and academic posturings to come out more effectively and humourously to off-set the actual workaday populist science that's really being explores ;)

Rincewind's confirmed role as the Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography and his familiarity with surviving in arcane and hostile environments, including potentially L-Space, make him the paramount focus for that line of Disc development :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm

I think the witches bore him too, seeing he gave Granny a perfect little kitty.
And the wizards have been reduced to grumpy old grampas with no idea of reality and the life outside the university walls. Even Ponder who before had more than just an idea of how real life worked now....
I stop here...
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:55 pm

It's quite possible that Pterry has become bored with the entire DW series and wants to shake himself free of it. After 39 books the man is entitled to move on.

His editorial calendar shows him focusing on other, non-DW novels (I don't count the 'spin-off' stuff as real DW output) for at least this year, and, as others have said, his last couple of DW books (Snuff and ISWM in particular) do seem a bit valedictory in nature.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:16 pm

I know I'm repeating myself, but re-reading Nightwatch and Carpe Jugulum I even more get the feeling Sir Terry planned for Discworld to end with Nightwatch originally.
LilMaibe

Postby ladyramkin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am

If he is really abandoning the Discworld, I will still read his books, but I wont collect them anymore.
ladyramkin

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 am

Good point, Lady R.

I didn't enjoy Nation, so am not bothered with any non-DW books that come out...... unless he and NG do a sequel to Bad Omens! LOVE that book!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 am

I feel much the same way, LadyR. I did not like Nation, well actually, so much so that I haven't finished it! It's DW or none as goes my collection.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Good point, Lady R.

I didn't enjoy Nation, so am not bothered with any non-DW books that come out...... unless he and NG do a sequel to Bad Omens! LOVE that book!

Good Omens, perhaps? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 am

And I thought Nation was an excellent book. Just goes to show how different tastes are. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Good point, Lady R.

Good Omens, perhaps? :lol:

Whoopsie. Was rushing as I wanted to have my lunch. :roll: :oops:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Maybe the sequel could be called Bad Omens. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm

:mrgreen:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 am

Nation is very good. Even better subsequent reads. I like Rincewind. Have enjoyed all the novels he's been in. I don't get this early, classic, post Night Watch era thing. Night Watch, The Fifth Elephant & Going Postal etc, are exceptional, but I enjoyed earlier books like Witches Abroad, Lords & Ladies & Reaper Man just as much.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels