Discworld QI at 2012 Convention IS a 'Goer'!!!!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld QI at 2012 Convention a 'Goer'...?

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 am

Stephen Briggs would be brill at compering!

Tomorrow I'll do some cross copying of ideas between here and the CA forum - they're talking about tweeting the QI Elves about this now but I want to grab Eelco before we do that in case there's a budgeting issue before we all get too carried away :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:41 am

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Bouncy - :character-jason: :lol:

OK - some development news trickling in gradually from the other side on the CA's forum

Eelco's head of programming for the Monks of Cool and was in touch on this yesterday briefly to say that he had a committee meeting later so would get back on where to go with this, as they probably want it as something a little more dynamic than a fan quiz vehicle if they get the guests' interest and so might want to contact QI's production people semi-officially on format issues (the QI Elves for instance are on Twitter so there'll be some crossover I expect, but I want the committee to say how they want that organised before we start to pester them (the QI Elves) online.... :shifty: :P )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:55 pm

OK guys - things have moved on over on the CA's forum and we have the dynamic duo Pat Harkin and Chris Boote signed up to take on the Fry and Davies combo and for the one who's Fry to also act as chief elf. Here's my latest post on what I'm taking back to Eelco and the Monks later on today

Jan Van Kverm wrote:Contact made and expression of keen interest received from Mr. Harkin providing it doesn't clash with his Maskerade and Charity Auction commitments :D

I'll email Eelco later on this evening on the basis that we have people on board for the 3 main roles (subject to programme scheduling Chris and Pat can flip a coin or summat for the Fry post ) and anyone who wants to volunteer to act as question/research Elves/scorers will be welcome to input on the format/structure between now and the Con (and at the con if you're coming and want to contribute on the day). Hopefully that means the committee will railro... persuade suitable people on the honoured guest list to take part on stage. :lol:

I'll be repeating the call for Elves on the Transworld TP forum, so between us we ought to be able to get a cracking formula up for 30 minutes or so of QI excitement - I think we could leave the scoping fairly loose so it incorporates Roundworld aspects (and lets the chosen guests wax lyrical if need be) but mainly focuses on Discworld of course and maybe keep to the convention theme of the early days of the Disc, or the Cor Celesti aspects perhaps? :wink:

Please do carry on popping in here to make suggestions on format or any other constructive brainwaves - the post notifier appears to be working again! :thumbl:

So - the 3 guest slots are down to the committee to bludgeon somebody suitable into submission (possibly Bernard, Jack and Ian, or Rob if available) so we're looking for people who'd be interested in contributing to the content aspects as QI (Discworld) Elves and possibily a reserve guest spot if things go pear-shaped and someone has to drop out?

What the CA peeps are wondering is how the questions are pitched and if Roundworld aspects can creep in. Like I was saying I think Roundworld tie-ins will be fun so long as we keep largely to the convention theme, but all and any other ideas are welcome. If you're not going to be at the convention this is a way for you to participate and I'm sure the actual thing will find it's way onto a podcast somewhere online in due course so this a chance for us to say 'Hey I was a part of that!' :dance:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't mind helping out if I have the time from Caroc/Tarot reading/Masquerade (I'm looking forward to that!) and running about doing everything! (I was just revving up in Ireland!) :lol: ;)
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm willing to help out ;)

I think roundworld aspects would be cool too 8-) aslong as they are (a bit) related to Discworld ;)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Right I've just posted over on the CA forum with the 'go ahead' from Eelco and the Committee. :dance: :mrgreen:

Because Pat Harkin and Chris Boote are taking the pivotal roles as front men for this I going to mainly be posting on the CA forum on this in future and just put links in this thread so people can see what's going and either post over there if they're members or in here and I'll filter it over to the main thread.

I'll copy what I've just posted over there just now so we have a reference of what's being worked on ;)

Jan Van Kverm on the Cunning Artificer's forum wrote:Finally got around to talking to Eelco - here's the latest exchange... :wink:

Me: Update since you posted on the Cunning Artificer's forum. We have Pat Harkin and Chris Boote on board for this now and they're wanting to do the Stephen Fry/Chief Elf and Alan Davies roles with 3 other guest panellists if the Committee can get them - so more or less as the TV format.
Eelco: I think we should stay as close to the tv-format as possible. In the tv-show they can edit stuff and only take the best parts. Here everything is live, so the closer we stay to the format, the better the handle everyone has on what is expected from them and the better the chances things become funny.

Pat's involvement is subject to it not clashing with his Maskerade and Charity Auction duties so that's something we need you to sort for us.
No problem. With three guests, this is going to be one of the bigger items and it would be a shame if would have to compete for attendance.

'Discification' - the fan forums can provide elf duties as needed from interested parties. The Question Master and certainly the panellists don't necessarily have to be roleplayed as Discworld characters unless people fancy doing that, so that no doubt will be thrashed out in the run up to the convention. The actual format obviously needs to be steeped in Discworld trivia but also to remain fairly loose and random so this can be linked to Roundworld aspects and origins as needed.
I would think the Annotated Pratchett File is a good start. It's trivia, combines Discworld with Roundworld and contains lots of interesting titbits. I have already spoken with Leo Breebaart, and I think I can convince him to join in. :D

If we could know which guests are interested in participating, then the questions can be tailored accordingly, depending on their Discworld nerdiness quotient (so for instance Rob or Bernard could handle more Discworld trivia than Jack or Ian perhaps?).
People I am thinking of currently: Jacqueline, Stephen Briggs.
Any other suggestions?

Next question depends on how slick the Committee wants this. If it's going to be a high profile thing then perhaps the QI show producers and team of elves could be approached (by the committee I should think?) to help a little with the format, but there's enough interest on the forums for the question structure to be put together between now and the convention - so how 'professional' (fnarr fnarr!) would the committee like this to be?
As professional as fans can get it I don't actually see any benefit in contacting the real elves. Do we already have a "head-elf"?

I suppose we'd also need people to make themselves available for a run through/rehearsal during the convention and for buzzers (with suitable silly bells etc) for the panellists so we'll need to make it clear that we need people's committments to that during the convention, aside from the actual stage event.
Ayup, sounds like a good idea. I have a preliminary time slot: Sunday 16:00-17:00. It doesn't clash with anything else.

Over to you with this - I'll be your co-ordinating forum wrangler elf!
Ha, you know what that means, right? In the programme database: Discworld QI. Owner: Jan van Quirm

I am very much looking forward to this.

Kind regards, Eelco

So quick recap with the ongoing issues there
1. Pat and Chris - up to you how you divide the compering/regular panellist roles - whoever does the compering could also double it up with being Chief Elf - unless...
2. Leo Breebaart comes on board and wants to do the Chief Elfing bits? Alternatively he might like to do the 3rd guest spot or be a reserve one perhaps? :?
3. Cosplay element - voluntary I suppose? I think Eelco's right with sticking as close to the TV format as we can within the limits of being Discworld-themed, so audience and panellists are comfortable with things and we can play fast and very loose when it strays off into Roundworld and other parallel universes :wink:
4. Guests - Jacqueline and Stephen Briggs would be v.g. I think as they have plenty to say for themselves and would fill the 'expert' and 'wit' criteria very well. I think we need a real DW 'buff' for the 3rd spot so someone like Rob, or Bernard perhaps, or Leo - all suggestions can be put forward :wink:
5. the Sunday dry run spot sounds good and any attending Elves can meet ahead of that to go over the question format that really has to be thrashed out pre-Convention.
6. I'm not doing the Chief Elf spot - I'm simply the linkperson/liaison 8) I'll also be updating on the TP fan forum too but from now on this thread is Planning Central for the Discworld QI event! :happy-bouncymagenta:

This is a chance for anyone to contribute ideas to the event, whether or not they're going to be at Birmingham that weekend - I'm fairly sure someone will make a video for YouTube or similar so don't be shy about coming in and posting your views, suggestions and contructive critique of what's gone before as everyone can take part. :dance:

Ditto that last parag for over here - please post any contributions you want to put forward ;)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Just posted on the Cunning Artificers forum...

JVQ wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:That are pressing at the time. :lol:

Talking of which - there are just over 9 weeks to go before the convention... Image

So - anyone who wants to be a Discworld QI elf, now is the time to get your thinking caps on about things Discy to ask in the way of General Ignorance and words that can set the alarm off. :D

We have a young man from Oz over on the TP forum who dabbles in Discworld music (EngineeringSimon) who's going to have a go at making us a theme tune that may or may not be an arrangement of the existing Roundworld QI ditty, but aside from that we're mostly looking at cobbling together some suitably fiendish but fruitful questions that can be exploited in the usual way with punes, ribaldry or other comedic devices that may not necessarily be approved of by the Fools Guild. 8)

I'll give Eelco a nudge and see if he has any news on the 3 guest spots (which may help with the question formatting) but aside from that we can use the original as our guide to theming it so it blends seamlessly into the 'Old Ankh-Morpork' ambience of the convention - unless anyone has a better idea?

Have looked on YouTube and found the original pilot which actually explains the scoring system! :shock: Except it doesn't because they all finished on about 80-100 points a piece so they obviously don't use that one anymore :roll: But, as a guide this is what it was - 10 points for a right answer; 2 points for a wrong answer that is QI; minus 10 points for a wrong answer that is also an alarm word/phrase (which wasn't in the original test show or not very many) and whatever else Stephen Fry thought was a good idea at the time.. :sunny:

There will be some 'thought showering' going on at the convention itself but it would be good to have at least an outline of the script such as it is shaping up in the time we have left until C day arrives.

Anyone want to get the ball rolling on theming, questions or scoring - or anything else come to that? :mrgreen:

Anyone who doesn't post over there can put forward suggestions in this thread and I'll cobble it all together and feedback - you don't have to be going to the convention to contribute and I expect this will eventually make it onto YouTube in the fullness of time as it's going to be one of the evening events with 'proper' guests 8-)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Just heard back from Eelco re the guests - he's not able to let us know who they are until he's got them signed up, BUT he wants to recruit some QI Elves NOW to help at the Convention so he's sure that it'll all be achievable...

...so! If you're going to the Convention do you fancy volunteering to help with getting Discworld QI set up and running?!!!!!.

We have Chris Boote and Pat Harkin on board as the 'resident' panellist and quiz master respectively and we'll be keeping to the QI format more or less so the Elves are going to be the backroom peeps helping with setting the questions and other bits and pieces.

I've asked engineeringsimon if he'll help out with a suitably arranged Discworld QI theme tune so that's one bit sorted, but there's all kinds of other things to consider like General Ignorance and the panellists buzzers - stuff like that. Could be a lot of fun :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am

It does sound like a lot of fun! :D Theme tune and everything, cool! 8-) I'd help out, if needed, but I've never got the hang of QI, even after watching a couple of episodes :?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 pm

It's all about question research in the end mC so the panellists can woffle trying to answer it in a quite interesting way so in theory if you're reasonably knowledgeable about the subject and know your way around L-Space then you can help with the raw material. ;)

I think there may be other things for Elves to do (and of course Discworld QI Elves can be nassstier perhaps :twisted: ) like sort out suitable buzzer sounds maybe? Or perhaps help with setting up tables for the set and with mics (although they have tech people to do the boffin stuff with that). Or keeping score, or looking after the klaxon, that kind of off-stage thingies? So there's stuff to do where you don't need to know much about the actual format apart from theming it.

I think what Eelco has in mind is to put volunteer Elves and Chris B and Pat on his mailgroup or twitter or something so we can talk on there about things in advance of the convention (and keep 'need to know' info quiet :P ) and then we'll be able to meet and do the practical stuff in Birmingham with most of planning done already so it all looks relatively slick without a massive last minute effort - well that's standard project management stuff anyway... :shifty:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm willing to help out ;)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: *starts making list...*
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

OK, I'm in, as long as I understand what I have to do :P
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Hilton usually charges a lot for internet access on their wifi. I'm happy to help back office on this and to also assist with setting questions but don't fancy paying for access to lspace :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett