The Caroc Cards - The Temple of the Lady @ DWCon 2012

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Permission to kick him, hard, at first available opportunity?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Well I think it's probably politic not to since he's one of Terry's bestest mates...? :P

Seriously - he said that he also had to raise objections to this being done at the Oz and US conventions too so it's obviously been in the pipeline a long time and he's spent serious money on getting engraving done for a bespoke letterpress (hot metal) print run so it sounds like it'll be a really spiffy set and larger than the ones I would have made... As it's out 'next year' we can use that deck instead at the con...

However, I'm going to do a commercial set of my own for DreamWorlds which won't be Discworld-specific obviously, but will incorporate lots of fantasy motifs so I need you to work with me on that if you would please Meer :)

I don't know where that leaves us with this part of the project, but if anyone agrees with Dotsie then we can carry on with it for the forum side of things only - it's really just the convention that's the bother for this and I don't want to get into fisticuffs with Colin Smythe :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 am

Course I will Jan! Goes without saying! :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby PoohKarrot » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

CAROC CARDS

Well Jano, I got your Caroc cards today and was going to send you an email, but you beat me to it. :D

They are very good but.....

1. I have trouble differentiating between the two red suits and the two black suits. So why don't you make one of the red suits yellow/green. and one of the black suits blue/purple? I see absolutely no reason why there has to be two black suits and two red suits.

2. They are very flimsy and will be destroyed if they come into contact with water. It might not be possible, but can't you spray Scotch guard on them?
PoohKarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks pooh - I was going to use thicker card on the day and the water-tightness was also a concern so I'll get onto that. :D

After hearing from the Cunning One the other day I've now also heard from Colin Smythe who's checking with Stephen Players agent (he's the artist who did the forum turtle) if using the brown back design with the convention blurb is OK with him.

Subject to that we have the green light for the playing cards so, with the likelihood of some form of lamination or special-surface papers being needed, I may ask Lyndsey for some help with the costs of producing a more sturdy deck for the convention - I've already used about 3 lots of cartridges on doing a half dozen prototype decks so even if I spread the cost with other non-design factors I don't want to have to ask for help with making the cards as we won't be able to do this consistently to the standard needed outside of home use. Much more to come on that front I expect.

Black and red and whatever... This was part of my own brief in that I wanted to approach the generic as they might be on Discworld pre-movable type with consequent restrictions on inks, if not on imp artists for the plates... Lets bear this in mind if the others think the same - I was thinking of doing different colours for the caroc, but talked myself out of it. One thing though is that green is probably a no-no as it's too similar tonally to red so causes a problem for people with that kind of colour blindness but other colourways are possible if everyone thinks it's a good idea (wouldn't take a lot of work to re-jig if that's what we'd like). :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: The Caroc Cards - The Temple of the Lady @ DWCon 2012

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 pm

TONY/JASON

:D

You can un-sticky this now if you like as we can't really go forward with it as a project for the Convention. ;)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:TONY/JASON

:D

You can un-sticky this now if you like as we can't really go forward with it as a project for the Convention. ;)

Consider it dung! ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Wodger mean Jan? Are we not having the card school?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Defintely having the card school Dostie but not a Discworld Caroc/Tarot as I was (very nicely) warned off by Bernard Pearson - Discworld Emporium are supposedly bringing out a Tarot deck this year having
spend a ton of dosh on engravings...

I'm currently on a separate (probably) commercial project with Meer and a couple of other fey buddies over on DreamWorlds for full tarot (major & minor arcana) which will use wholly original fantasy-themed artwork, so we'll probably end up using that if the bearded one hasn't got his marketing sh*it into gear by then... ;)

The other thread's still pinned and that's the one we'll be going with for the Cripple Mr. Onion card school - am currently costing out 2 special presentation decks with a card maker but will be looking to get our actual generic deck laser-printed locally on better laminated card than I can produce (I have an inkjet printer so have to spray coat the cards and magenta cartridges in particular run out v. quickly!) :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:09 am

Need a bit of virgin feedback on this tarot card (not for Cripple Mr. Onion) - the one I've done first

although I was happy with it, it now doesn't sit too well with the rest of the theming for the other cards in the Major Arcana which is a generalised fantasy/mythology treatment. So I've re-done it but would like some candid opinion please :D

To help you decide some keywords for 'divination' use by the tarot reader :P
WikipediA wrote:Fulfillment ----- Accomplishment ----- Success ----- Integration
Involvement ----- Prospering ----- Satisfaction ----- Repleteness
Contentment ----- Good feelings ----- Wholeness

and a similar card to show what I mean about the theming

Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am

Ooooooh, looks pretty, Jan! :D Concerning colours, I liked the first one better, but I think that wolf in the second one is great :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 pm

:lol: The wolf's actually a dragon but I drastically culled the source so I can see why you thought that mC ;)

The idea with the imagery for both is creation myths/culture with Yggdrasil, the Midgard Serpent (dragon or wyrm) and a Ring (as in Morgoth's Ring not Sauron as he had the whole world supposedly) :P

Thanks for the comment though - I've got both versions saved in layers so I could still do a merged edition if people think the more ethereal version works better, although the celtic man and the dragon in the first version will have to stay cut
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote::lol: The wolf's actually a dragon but I drastically culled the source so I can see why you thought that mC ;)

The idea with the imagery for both is creation myths/culture with Yggdrasil, the Midgard Serpent (dragon or wyrm) and a Ring (as in Morgoth's Ring not Sauron as he had the whole world supposedly) :P

Thanks for the comment though - I've got both versions saved in layers so I could still do a merged edition if people think the more ethereal version works better, although the celtic man and the dragon in the first version will have to stay cut

Ooops.. :oops:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:32 am

Erm, hello, sorry to butt in or anything but, erm, I was told about this thread by an acquaintance after mentioning I was working on a Caroc deck for next year's con, if you're still looking for artists I'd be up for it, I think, though I would be drawing in a more classical Tarot style to the submissions I've seen on the thread.

Looking at the cards on the first post, just one thing: The Star and The Pool of Night are shown as separate cards in the books, I believe, and possibly instead of the Wheel of Fortune how about the Butterfly of Chaos? Just an idea.
I like the idea of Rincewind as the Hanged Man, as it is a man hanging upside down rather than a man being hanged on the Tarot card, and Vimes as Justice seems right, and perhaps rename the card "the Law"? Other cards might also warrant re-naming to fit the Discworld theme, such as Hermit to Sweeper, and since the Caroc has thirty major cards there might also be room for some additions such as The Witch? Also I had Nanny Ogg and Cassanunda pegged for The Lovers, but each to their own.

I'd been toying with the idea, for the cards I'd been working on, of having the four decks have different themes -- wands are clubs, like a truncheon, so have the king, queen, knight and page of the wands suit as Carrot, Angua, Colon and Nobby, Octograms are the symbols of wizards so perhaps instead of king, queen, etc. have Archchancellor, Dean, Bursar and Ponder? Uberwaldian characters for the elephant suit because of the fifth elephant, and for Turtles, well Lancre is near the hub so perhaps Verence, Magrat, Shawn Ogg and Shawn Ogg (yes, twice because he has many different roles in the castle)?

Anyway, be glad to know what you think of the ideas and if you are in need of artists still.
Ross

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am

Welcome to the site, Ross! :D I'm sure someone will be able to comment better than in can. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett