Rincewind - Where is the love?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Rincewind - Where is the love?

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Well,my nickname at this site http://www.photoforum.com/forum/animals-birds/48160-doggypics.html should give a bit of a clue... :roll:

I love Rincewind,the bit of anti-hero added,really completed the character for me. ;)
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Harry Blue5 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:53 pm

I like Rincewind. Well, I liked him enough to make him my avatar.

But I think the problem with Rincewind is not the character himself, but the events around him. It's very hard to get him to sit down and actually do something, so a lot of his plots have to be resolved by random events pushing him to do something. Terry finds him hard to write for inner monologue-wise as well, IIRC. And since he's got it all figured out ("eat potato", "run away"), he doesn't have much leeway for character devlopment.

I suppose another thing that hurts him is that his first appearances were the first books, and Terry's obviously improved since then.

I do love him, though. Definitely one of my favourite characters.
Harry Blue5

Postby CJDobs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Raisindot wrote: "Then again, I started reading DW books from the "classic" era of Thief of Time and The Fifth Elephant, when PTerry's literary prowess was at its peak."

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Contentious!!!!!

Just off the top of my head, Before Thief of Time there was:

Witches Abroad - Classic
Guards! Guards! - Classic
Wyrd Sisters - Classic
Jingo - Classic
Hogfather - Classic
Maskerade - Classic
Lords and Ladies - Classic
Small Gods - Classic
Mort - Classic

I'm incredibly biased of course as I think nearly all of Terrys work is classic but if you're taking PRE 'Thief of Time' then the heart and soul of Discworld and the best of Terrys wit and satire lies in all of the above books.

I was talking to a Discworld 'fan' at work the other day and he had no idea who 'Cut me own throat Dibbler' was...I nearly cried.

I know it's a taste thing and I also know a lot of my choice is based on nostalgia, but I've revisited all of his books over the years and I never fail to be blown away by how good they are - especially the early ones whose charm and wit won me over in the first place.

Now, if anything, I'd argue that PRE Thief of Time, was Terry's classic period...followed by his refined period.... followed by his Knighted period......:D
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:43 am

To me it was alway Colour of Magic to Sourcery where the beginning era and then up to Nightwatch was the classic era. The rest is the 'post Nightwatch era'... and I often have the feeling Discworld was meant to end with Nightwatch...or at least the plots of the established characters, to then introduce new ones at new places WITHOUT the intereference of old ones....
/shrug
LilMaibe

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 am

I (platonically) love Rincewind! :D :D
spideyGirl

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:38 pm

I still like the character but I do find the first few books hard to re-read.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby meerkat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Getchore 'ot 'tatoes' 'ere! Hot melted butter! Salt for them as want it. all for 4p! Bargain!

(Guaranteed edible by Prof Rincewind, Unseen University, Ankh-Morpork).
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Ziriath » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm

LilMaibe wrote:.... and I often have the feeling Discworld was meant to end with Nightwatch...or at least the plots of the established characters, to then introduce new ones at new places WITHOUT the intereference of old ones....
/shrug

Yes, sometimes I have the same feeling...But some interference of old ones would be nice.
Ziriath

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 pm

I though UA might be the end, there was something very final about it. But no.
Personally I think is that Terry is the only person who can really see and understand the minutiae of the Discworld. We only read what he writes down about it. I think he has a few ideas yet! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby TimBou » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:57 am

Interesting discussion, while Rincewind is a bit limited you can be sure there will always be something happening in Discworld when he's around. Usually involving the impending end of the world or similar.

I recall he had a cameo in UA, shame he didn't play more of a part in that book, I think he could have brightened it up a bit.

Surely he will appear in the very last DW book since he appeared in the first one?
TimBou

Postby TimBou » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 am

CJDobs wrote:Raisindot wrote: "Then again, I started reading DW books from the "classic" era of Thief of Time and The Fifth Elephant, when PTerry's literary prowess was at its peak."

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Contentious!!!!!

Just off the top of my head, Before Thief of Time there was:

Witches Abroad - Classic
Wyrd Sisters - Classic
Jingo - Classic
Hogfather - Classic
Maskerade - Classic
Lords and Ladies - Classic
Small Gods - Classic
Mort - Classic

Nice list of classics (since I agree with it ;-)), you've got Guards! Guards! twice but that's probably justified. My list would have Small Gods listed twice as well.

Just finished Witches Abroad for the first time, and I'm halfway through Lords and Ladies - the witches are the best!

By the way, Thief of Time for me was a little bit... meh, as was Feet of Clay. Not up to the standard of those classics you've listed. Loved Night Watch, of course. Haven't read Men at Arms, Maskerade, Jingo, Interesting Times, Carpe Jugulum, Fifth Elephant yet so I'll be interested to see what my own personal "classic" list ends up looking like. It seems to be different for everyone.

I suppose part of the problem is none of the Rincewind books are classics? At least in the sense you mean...
TimBou

Postby Antiq » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:45 pm

When I started reading Pratchett, Rincewind was not one of my favourite characters, but as I read more he grew on me to the point that I now love him to bits :D He's right up there with DEATH, Vetenari and Vimes.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

I don't think there's a DW character that I really dislike except........................ Carcer.

Carcer gives me the creeps.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby CJDobs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 pm

TimBou wrote:Nice list of classics (since I agree with it ;-)), you've got Guards! Guards! twice but that's probably justified. My list would have Small Gods listed twice as well.

Just finished Witches Abroad for the first time, and I'm halfway through Lords and Ladies - the witches are the best!

By the way, Thief of Time for me was a little bit... meh, as was Feet of Clay. Not up to the standard of those classics you've listed. Loved Night Watch, of course. Haven't read Men at Arms, Maskerade, Jingo, Interesting Times, Carpe Jugulum, Fifth Elephant yet so I'll be interested to see what my own personal "classic" list ends up looking like. It seems to be different for everyone.

I suppose part of the problem is none of the Rincewind books are classics? At least in the sense you mean...

Hey TimBou,

Yep GG is so good it makes the list twice (not an oversight at all :D ).

From your 'to read' list - 'Maskerade, Jingo, Interesting Times, Carpe Jugulum, Fifth Elephant' are all classics for me (particularly Maskerade which is my favourite DW novel.....only didn't make my orginal list because I beleive it came out after Thief Of Time.....) You're gonna love them!

Men at Arms was so-so, great book but not as memorable as the current listed company.

And yes, whole heartedly, the Witches are the best - always have been :clap:
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby Thales of Miletus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I like Rincewind, but I think that as a character, he ran out of steam. His basic usage in every novel was: Rincewind goes to this part of the Disc, so does the story. For example:

The Colour of Magic - Rincewind tours the Disc

Sorcery - Rincewind tours Klatch

Eric - Rincewind tours the Dungeon Dimensions / Klatch / Time

Interesting Times - Rincewind tours The Agetean Empire

The Last Continent - Rincewind tours XXXX

Of course, technically speaking, being a tour guide was his first major role in the Discworld fiction (guiding Twoflower), however, as Pratchett grew in writing skill and confidence, I think he felt he could drop him and still tell Discworld stories well, which he has gone and done with aplomb.

I still hold out a hope that he will return in another book as a lead character, but I don't think it will happen now.
Meden Agan
Thales of Miletus

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels