The Big Bang Theory

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Big Bang Theory

Postby author3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Yesterday I picked up a copy of the first season of The Big Bang Theory(it only cost 9euro).I realize this show has been out for 5 years now but I have never seen an episode but I've been planning to for a long time now.I just started watching the first episode(I'm currently 2minutes 36seconds in :ugeek:) and it seems quite strange but I'm willing to continue.As I make my way through the first season I'll be posting little mini reviews on each episode.What did you think of this show?
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Re: The Big Bang Theory

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 am

I think its brilliant. Some great jokes and lots of nerdism. Great characters too. Chuck Lorre has the golden touch when it comes to comedy (US anyway)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Catch-up » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:57 am

We've only recently finished the first season, and have just started the second. LOVE it so far! The last few episodes we watched it felt like we were laughing non-stop. Looking forward to your reviews, hope you enjoy it!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 am

First couple of seasons were good then it started getting tired and samey so they brought in a couple of extra characters which livened it up for a while but now it's retreading old ground again.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby pip » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

Quite like the show and think Sheldon and Leonard are one of the best comedy couples going but it has lost a little in the last season and its not helped by E4 splitting the series in half leaving a six month gap. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Willem » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 am

MongoGutman wrote:First couple of seasons were good then it started getting tired and samey so they brought in a couple of extra characters which livened it up for a while but now it's retreading old ground again.

Amen to that! Although Amy Farrah Fowler still brings the goods constantly.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 am

I prefer non-relationship episodes usually, but it's an excellent series. Sheldon's basically me, turned up to eleven. :?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 am

pip wrote:Quite like the show and think Sheldon and Leonard are one of the best comedy couples going but it has lost a little in the last season and its not helped by E4 splitting the series in half leaving a six month gap. :D

Yeah, that is seriously annoying Mrs Dave... :think:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am

Last three series now . Bloody weird .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby author3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Okay here is my review of the first episode.

I quite enjoyed the characters in this episode.I would have prefered to have had some background information on them though.I thought they were a couple of funny moments in it but not as much as I'd expected.I also think that this show is underrated because on the DVD boxset it says the cert is 12 but I think it should definetly be 15s.But that isn't a problem for me.

Characters 5/5
Storyline 3.5/5
Funniness 4/5
Overall 4.5/5

I will be watching the second episode tomorrow(Wednesday) so I'll post the review either tomorrow or Thursday.
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 pm

author3 wrote:Okay here is my review of the first episode.

I quite enjoyed the characters in this episode.I would have prefered to have had some background information on them though.I thought they were a couple of funny moments in it but not as much as I'd expected.I also think that this show is underrated because on the DVD boxset it says the cert is 12 but I think it should definetly be 15s.But that isn't a problem for me.

Characters 5/5
Storyline 3.5/5
Funniness 4/5
Overall 4.5/5

I will be watching the second episode tomorrow(Wednesday) so I'll post the review either tomorrow or Thursday.

Takes a while for the really funny things to take hold. My particular favourites for the first season are The Luminous Fish Effect (Sheldon gets fired for being...well, Sheldon, and we meet his mother for the first time), The Hamburger Postulate (Leonard hooks up with one of Sheldon's nemeses, Leslie Winkle), The Dumpling Paradox (Howard hooks up with a promiscuous friend of Penny's, and Penny has to spend the night in Leonard and Sheldon's apartment), The Grasshopper Experiment (Raj is set up on a date by his annoying parents, only to find out a means by which he can talk to women), The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization (Leonard wants to present a paper he worked on with Sheldon, but Sheldon refuses to go to the conference), The Jerusalem Duality (Sheldon meets a rival genius and child prodigy, North Korean refugee Dennis Kim), and The Bat Jar Conjecture (entering an academic competition, the guys eventually have to force Sheldon out of the team because of his ego).
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby BobtheDrog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Takes a while for the really funny things to take hold. My particular favourites for the first season are The Luminous Fish Effect (Sheldon gets fired for being...well, Sheldon, and we meet his mother for the first time), The Hamburger Postulate (Leonard hooks up with one of Sheldon's nemeses, Leslie Winkle), The Dumpling Paradox (Howard hooks up with a promiscuous friend of Penny's, and Penny has to spend the night in Leonard and Sheldon's apartment), The Grasshopper Experiment (Raj is set up on a date by his annoying parents, only to find out a means by which he can talk to women), The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization (Leonard wants to present a paper he worked on with Sheldon, but Sheldon refuses to go to the conference), The Jerusalem Duality (Sheldon meets a rival genius and child prodigy, North Korean refugee Dennis Kim), and The Bat Jar Conjecture (entering an academic competition, the guys eventually have to force Sheldon out of the team because of his ego).

the first three of those were on e4 in the last 24hours
BobtheDrog

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 pm

As long as I don't think too hard about the fact they are grown men I can watch it. The one with the Korean child genius is very funny. Also when Sheldon tries to fight Leonard using mind control is hilarious but sad because, is he being serious?? Sheldon is definitely a stand out. His relationship with his religious mother is well done. Whereas Howard and his mother, while I get the joke, is just disturbing.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby BobtheDrog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am

The scary thing is just how like people I know they all are. My brother refuses to believe this could be the case but then I think he might be the basis for Raj :-)
BobtheDrog

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 am

I've got an eight year old brother who is eerily Sheldon-like...Only he's empathetic (too much) and not so hygenic
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre