Marmite books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Marmite books

Postby Pearwood » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I didn't see a huge drop in quality between GP and MM to be honest (though I think GP was the stronger). Personally I would say both felt like retreads of The Truth.
Pearwood

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:39 pm

well, with the difference that The Truth had the hero not being forced to renew the news by Vetinari against his will.
(BTW: What the hells happened to de Worde between Truth and UA that he seems to have become unable to report about something neatly?)
LilMaibe

Postby high eight » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:02 am

What do I dislike of Terry's? Anything with bloody Rincewind as the main character (Though Interesting Times was at least readable and The Last Continent had some good Aussie jokes.).

Other than that, Making Money rattles a bit but has some good scenes. Unseen Academicals was pretty much a return to form as far as I am concerned.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby CJDobs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Only problem I had with MM is it was actually Going Postal....with er.....money replacing the stamps.

*potential plot spoiler*

I also thought the terracotta army was a major headscratcher as that had already been done in Interesting Times...other than that, I find Moist an agreeable (and readable) chap.

Nation...I'm sad to say is the only Pratchett I never finished, just did not feel right and couldn't make it past the fourth chapter.

Snuff - Disappointing for me (again, sadly) always been a 'Witches before Guards' fan anyway but Vimes's 'I'm a copper see' routine annoyed the crap out of me.....felt awful when I finished it.....

Monstrous Regiment was, on first reading, also disappointing but I had another go and really enjoyed it...not so with Nation or Snuff yet though, I can't bring myself to go back!

I'm currently revisiting my old favourites....Carpe Jugulum is still fab, Maskerade - amazing, and at the moment I am on the The Last Continent....It's not about the plots with these books just the characters and conversation. I'd forgotten just how entertaining a group of senior wizards stuck on a beach - with Mrs Whitlows ankles on show - could be :lol:
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm

On a sidenote here:
I'm amazed how some people claim Last Continent to be a bad book and base their opinion them wondering why
Spoiler: show
the creator god couldn't just make a new bullroarer

Thing about it, people, and think about it well. You might be amazed when you find the answer :D

(Did I mention this before?)
LilMaibe

Postby HazelRah17 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I wasn't that keen on Making Money or Nation. Unseen Academicals grew on me. I Shall Wear Midnight - well I don't know that it was bad, but I didn't like the direction the story went in. It's the only Discworld one I've only read once. Snuff wasn't bad but I feel like he's already done 'Vimes out of water' enough.
HazelRah17

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 pm

LilMaibe wrote:On a sidenote here:
I'm amazed how some people claim Last Continent to be a bad book and base their opinion them wondering why

Thing about it, people, and think about it well. You might be amazed when you find the answer :D

I have never heard anyone say that about The Last Continent. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 pm

At first reading I found Last continent a little lame: I think I didn't really take the evolution stuff in so much and focused more on the Aussie stereotyping, the mad max/crocodile dundee parody stuff, which I found a bit obvious.

wouldn't call it a "marmite" book though...
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 am

Tonyblack wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:On a sidenote here:

I have never heard anyone say that about The Last Continent. :?

You'll laugh how often I heard it Dx That and "Why didn't they just try to get him back by magic again? It just didn't work in Interesting Times cause of the gods!" (I don't even go and point out THAT question is answered IN the book....)
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm

I thought they just figured he was dead.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

raptornx01 wrote:I thought they just figured he was dead.

No, they are pretty aware he's on Fourecks. They just have no idea where the hells that is. (If they would have thought Rincewind's dead they would have never went to do what they did)
LilMaibe

Postby Cool Middle Name » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Unseen Academicals was the first book I completed but I can't get into it like earlier books such as the early Watch books (extremely funny and addictive) and the Witch books.
Going Postal IMO was ok but meh.
Did not enjoy Thud and Night Watch as such. Vimes does not grip me as a particularly magnetic character. I don't need him to be a commando-hero. Did not like the focus on his ideologies.
Fifth Elephant not as funny as I'd hoped.

Basically I like extremely comical Pratchett books with a good balance of philosophy and satire. Thud and Night Watch weren't really funny at all.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Postby TimBou » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:46 am

Cool Middle Name wrote:
... Thud and Night Watch weren't really funny at all.

Just off the top of my head a few funny bits I remember from those two...

Thud
Nobbs and Colon discussing the nature of art
Nobby Nobbs' love life
Sallly and Angua
Where's My Cow (of course!)

Night Watch
Lu Tze's Zen Garden
Just about everything that happened on the barricades

However I do agree with you if you're saying the comedy was a bit toned down compared to earlier books.
TimBou

Postby high eight » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:54 pm

TimBou wrote:
Cool Middle Name wrote:
... Thud and Night Watch weren't really funny at all.

Just off the top of my head a few funny bits I remember from those two...

Thud
Nobbs and Colon discussing the nature of art
Nobby Nobbs' love life
Sallly and Angua
Where's My Cow (of course!)

The whole Ankh-Morpork art scene is hilarious - Daniellarina Pouter's seminal work Don't Talk To Me About Mondays, Vetanari having her nailed to a stake (Which later became a major art work in its own right) and the strained vowels of Reynold Stitched (Similar to the strained vowels of a certain art critic: Stiched=Sew-well. geddit? :lol: ). I had to put the book down several times just to laugh.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby meerkat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:12 pm

oooh good! Someone else got the Reynold Stitched oke. Phew! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels