Books that gave you nightmares!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Books that gave you nightmares!

Postby Paranye » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 am

Antiq wrote:I was about 15 when I read The Exorcist :lol: Yeah, that creeped me out back then. Wouldn't now.

Animal Farm.
Lord Of The Flies.

Poor Boxer :(

Author3, some people just don't scare easy! What about books that disgusted you, or had some kind of memorably unpleasant imagery?
Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
Paranye

Postby author3 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:55 am

Paranye wrote:
Antiq wrote:I was about 15 when I read The Exorcist :lol: Yeah, that creeped me out back then. Wouldn't now.

Animal Farm.
Lord Of The Flies.

Author3, some people just don't scare easy! What about books that disgusted you, or had some kind of memorably unpleasant imagery?

Well when I was about 7 I opened up an coloured illustrated edition of Stephen King's The Dark Tower vol.II and I remember there being n#di*y in one of the pictures and that really freaked me out.
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby high eight » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 am

Loads of stuff:-

A thing with cobwebs in it's eyes in M R James' The Tractate Middoth
Also James - the leathery thing in The Treasure of Abbot Thomas
The ghastly death of the German night fighter pilot in Robert Westall's 'haunted bomber' story Blackham's Wimpy
The evil car in Keith Roberts' The Scarlet Lady
The thing (log, body or figment of the imagination) in John Gordon's The House on the Brink. There is a scene where it is in a cornfield in a thunderstorm and is closer with every flash of lightning......... :shock:
Fritz Lieber's Smoke Ghost

And plenty more........
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Ziriath » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Paranye wrote:

Animal Farm.
Lord Of The Flies.

Yes, poor Boxer. I've seen an animated Animal Farm movie, when I was five, or so. I' ve never cried while wathing a movie, but I was just about to cry while watching Boxer's sad last moments.
Ziriath

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I read Animal Farm when I was a kid and had no idea of it's Soviet parody.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Paranye » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I read Animal Farm when I was a kid and had no idea of it's Soviet parody.

That must have been a bit traumatizing! I was about 12 or 13 when I read it, and felt very pleased with myself for picking up on the symbolism and whatnot. Course now it seems incredibly heavy-handed, and the time I get to the pigs and the humans sitting around looking like each other I'm going "Jeez, Orwell, I get it already!". :D
Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
Paranye

Postby Penfold » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:51 pm

There's also H.P. Lovecraft's works. Individually, the stories aren't that scary but the concept of mankind's insignificance and helplessness when faced with an uncaring, godless universe can be quite thought provoking. (I once heard Lovecraft's stories described as "supernatural horror for atheists", which probably sums them up quite well) :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby HazelRah17 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 am

The Straw Men, but really any horror book, especially things with serial killers. I just try and avoid reading them - I'm pretty nightmare prone at the best of times. Poirot used to give me awful nightmares as a kid, especially if I didn't see the end of the episode and I stayed up all night reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when it came out because I was too scared to sleep.
HazelRah17

Postby Kin Arad » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 pm

There's a series of books called 'the banned and the banished' by James Clemens, I read the first one and was too scared to start on the second one, they are so gruesome - almost made me sick, but other than that they are quite good.
“Wouldn’t that unplug your heating pad?”
Kin Arad

Postby CJDobs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Great Thread!

James Herbert - The Ghosts of Sleath - Where the carpenter type dude 'planes' the face off the child abuser.......

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian - When The Comanches ride up wearing the bloody wedding dresses of the victims they have just slaughtered...and the ending in the barn leaves a funny old taste in the mouth......

Bram Stoker - Dracula - Yep, creeped the bejeesus out of me especially when the Ship rolls into Whitby with no crew and most of the scenes in the Asylum!

Z for Zachariah - Robert C O Brien - most of it disturbed me, was probably too young when we read it in English Lit......

Oh, and in Clive Barkers Books of Blood there was a tale about two villages who create these massive human figures (out of er, each other) and fight to the death. When one village/man collapses, the imagery is pretty grim and squishy.....

Am loving the macabre..... :)
"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter. "
CJDobs

Postby chris.ph » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 pm

i remember watching Z for Zachariaha in the 80s brilliant little play about post apocalyptic survival in a little cottage with its own micro climate because of the valley it was situated :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books