The sad bits...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The sad bits...

Postby raspberry » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Just re-read feet of clay. I'd forgotten how sad it is in parts. I just wondered whether anyone else had a DW book with parts in that they find particularly sad/emotional.

Or maybe I'm just a total wuss.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby Bickaxe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 pm

Still that bit in Thud! where Vimes is in the cave reciting the words to Where's My Cow and going spare as he should be reading to young Sam.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Cheery » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Definatly the scene in Thud, when the deep-downers attack Sybil and young Sam. Especially after the shock Vimes got, when one of the dwarves went into the nursery. Seriously, this would make every sensible father cry of sheer relief.
Actually there are a number of scienes with a lot of tension in Thud.
Cheery

Postby chris.ph » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm

i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

:cry:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:38 pm

The bit in Jingo where the Disorganiser is down a different leg of the Trousers of Time and is announcing the deaths of the Watch. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 pm

For me too the scene in Thud! where Vimes is in the cave reciting the words to Where's My Cow :(
The scene where the deep-downers attack Sybil and young Sam is also quite emotional yes.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Trish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:58 pm

chris.ph wrote:i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby :cry:

That's from Equal Rites.
It's sad, but it's not. Only Granny could "tell" Death anything and expect him to listen.

Carpe Jugulum. The bit when Granny 'thinks' she' left out of the christening because she isnt' needed.
And the later bit when she tells Nanny she can't get through Magpyr's "wall of thought."
And the that losing herself /her mind is everything to her.

I like Granny. :0)
Trish

Postby kakaze » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 am

I really hate the bit in Feet of Clay when Vimes is reminiscing about tormenting some poor kid when he was young. Billy Scuggins, I think.

I didn't think it really fit with the Vimes personality.
kakaze

Postby raspberry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

All those bits are emotional- thank you for reminding me of them!
Another bit that gets me is when (Men at arms) Angua and Carrot find the list of widows that Vimes supports.
I love Vimes!
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:34 am

When Gaspode is trapped in the theatre in Moving Pictures and just having a little chat with Death and then Laddie comes and rescues him.

Pure Lassie Come Home and I blubbed like a baby the 1st time :oops:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:47 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:When Gaspode is trapped in the theatre in Moving Pictures and just having a little chat with Death and then Laddie comes and rescues him.

Pure Lassie Come Home and I blubbed like a baby the 1st time :oops:
I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :o
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

Tonyblack wrote:I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :o

Probably Jan that sent that message! :lol:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:12 am

Just as well he did keep him or Carrot would have been in big trouble in Fifth Elephant. Gaspode was his thinking brain dog. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am

Tonyblack wrote:The bit in Jingo where the Disorganiser is down a different leg of the Trousers of Time and is announcing the deaths of the Watch. :(

That gave me chills :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to Discworld novels