R. I. P EUNICE KENNEDY SHRIVER - Saver of lives

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

R. I. P EUNICE KENNEDY SHRIVER - Saver of lives

Postby swreader » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 am

The Kennedy family produced a number of remarkable sons and daughters, but today one of it's brightest stars departed from this world.
Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who founded the Special Olympics and helped demonstrate that the mentally disabled can triumph on the field of competition and lead rich and productive lives outside the walls of institutions, died Tuesday at age 88. Her work for the intellectually disabled was the first step toward the Americans With Disabilities Act which acknowledged that all citizens, even those with disabilities, have a right to achieve as much as they can, and not be excluded from life because a wheel chair can't go up stairs.

She was the recipient of numerous honors, including the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which she received in 1984. Well into her 70s, she remained a daily presence at the Special Olympics headquarters.

For more details about the changes in the world that this woman helped to bring about see here.
swreader

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 am

She sounds amazing. The world was definitely a better place with her in it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 am

R.I.P :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 am

She sounds wonderful. R.I.P.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:25 am

She really did represent the absolute best of a very charismatic and influential family and did more good I think - certainly more quietly and kindly too

R.I.P. Eunice
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I knew nothing about her, but she sounds like a good 'un.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 pm

It's quite shocking to think that not so many years ago, people with even quite mild mental illnesses would have either been locked away or lobotomised.

The work this woman did for better understanding of sufferers is incredible. A sad loss indeed.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Trish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Eunice Shriver did many lasting, worthwhile things and she did them quietly.
She was a real lady.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:10 pm

rip eunice :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's quite shocking to think that not so many years ago, people with even quite mild mental illnesses would have either been locked away or lobotomised.

The work this woman did for better understanding of sufferers is incredible. A sad loss indeed.

yup, I might have even been oatmeal made of the grey matter, what with mum's crazy nonsense. My step-grandson is in Special Olympics and I always cheer anyone who participates.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Return to The Broken Drum