Good movies / tv-series?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Good movies / tv-series?

Postby Jakindra » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 pm

I need something to do tonight, but I've already seen all my films... :( Anybody god any ideas for some films worth seeing? I'm not too fond of war movies or old films.

:mrgreen:
"It's difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes you are interrupted by dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
Jakindra

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

blade runner :!:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Fifth Elephant! I mean Element :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 pm

chris.ph wrote:blade runner :!:
I love the book of that and actually think it's better in some ways than the movie. The book is by Philip K Dick and is called 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 pm

I read Electric Sheep after I saw the film and so I'm too Harrison Ford biased to judge now - all I know is that last bit with Rutger Hauer up on the roof with the doves in the rain was possibly the best bit of cinematography ever (so far) - and the bit with the daft origami was the most anti-climatic :P

I think the post-Greenhouse effect cityscapes in Runner work better than in the book but I think the androids are much better fleshed out :P in the book - just not as sexy

I love 5th Element though - Gary Oldman's wonderful as usual and Chris Tucker is so funnee! And that alien opera singer - bloody brilliant! :D
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 pm

If you are after a TV series - then look no further then Star Trek The Next Generation. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

I'll second that!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raspberry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 am

Something involving: The Wire is as good as the hype.
Something nostalgic: Cinema Paradiso.
Something classic: North by Northwest.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby chris.ph » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:20 pm

ive got all tng on dvd.

blade runner is based on wadoes i cant remember too many robo ostriches in the film :lol: the running man is the same :) but in that case the book is better than the film :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jakindra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm

I don't know if any of you've seen stardust? I absolutely adore it, but it's very different from the book... If you've seen/read both, which do you prefer?

I went and saw the Star Trek movie when it was in the cinemas, bloody brilliant film! Tv-series even better?
"It's difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes you are interrupted by dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
Jakindra

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I've read and watched Stardust (not the crap David Essex movie!) and thought they were both very good. :D

The David Essex movie is the only movie I've ever walked out of because it was so awful!
Tonyblack

Postby Jakindra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 pm

I am talking about the Neil Gaiman Stardust, and the movie that was made after I was born yes :P
Jakindra

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:12 am

I enjoyed both the film and the book of Stardust. Since they're both really adaptations (of the original graphic novel) I don't think the film loses anything, even though it is different. I liked them both!

Star Trek - what can I say? It's in my blood. If you've never seen any of the original series, there is a chance you could be disappointed after seeing the movie. It's a bit cheesy, but that's part of the charm. Starting with ST: The Next Generation might be better.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Return to The Broken Drum