The Pooh Pit

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

So who do you want to be the Republican Candidate to get wiped out by Obama?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Mittens
No votes
Frothy
No votes
Newt
50%
Paul Ron
50%
A.N.Other
No votes

Total votes : 2

The Pooh Pit

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Welcome to The Pooh Pit (copyright J-I*b)

Our first topic of conversation is about US politics.
Who do you want to win the Republican nomination?
Last edited by poohcarrot on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Re: The Pooh Pit

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I must admit that of the current four outstanding candidates, I'm leaning towards Paul Ron. :dance:
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't know enough to comment!

Shouldn't we leave the voting to our American friends??
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

...but living in Japan, I here virtually nothing about UK politics, it's all US.
Plus the Guardian keeps me well informed with what's going on over the pond. 8-)
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:00 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Welcome to The Pooh Pit (copyright J-I*b)

Our first topic of conversation is about US politics.
Who do you want to win the Republican nomination?

I feel honored to recognized as the copyright holder.

As for the nomination, I wish Paul would win--then Obama's victory would quite likely be of the landslide variety, as opposed to the much closer contest it is likely to be (although I still think Obama will win).

Do you know that Mitten's real name is Willard? If the Dems were smart, they'd make sure they always referred to him by his first name. I think an image of him holding a huge rat in his hand with the slogan "Vermin for Willard" could be the best tactic the Dems use in this campaign.
raisindot

Postby pip » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Batty wrote:I don't know enough to comment!

Shouldn't we leave the voting to our American friends??

I had an American hand me leaflets for an Irish Referendum on europe for one of the treatys so I see it as my right to interfere now :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

And another topic to run at the same time.

One which nobody seems to have mentioned anywhere (but I haven't looked everywhere) and it is pretty mind-blowing. :o

(I borrowed this from RJH, who I'm sure won't mind. :dance:)

RJH wrote:For those who are interested here are some release dates for the next lot of Pratchett stuff:

• The Complete Discworld Companion by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs (Hardcover - 18 Oct 2012)
  • The Illustrated Eric by Terry Pratchett and Josh Kirby (Paperback - 11 Oct 2012)
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld Collectors' Edition Calendar 2013 by Terry Pratchett (Calendar - 16 Aug 2012)
  • Snuff: Discworld Novel 39 by Sir Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 21 Jun 2012)
  • The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (Hardcover - 29 May 2012)

There is no DW novel being published next year. However, a new Companion is being published. The title is The Complete Discworld Companion.

Now, the word "Complete" to me signifies that something is over. If it was just an updated companion, it shouldn't be called The "Complete" Discworld Companion - I'm pretty sure the others weren't called "Complete" (but I could be wrong).
And it would be pretty silly calling something the Complete Companion, then publishing another DW novel the next year.

Do you think that the Discworld series has finished? :o
I think that there is a distinct possibility. :cry:
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:19 pm

poohcarrot wrote:There is no DW novel being published next year. However, a new Companion is being published. The title is The Complete Discworld Companion.

Do you think that the Discworld series has finished? :o
I think that there is a distinct possibility. :cry:

Well, the release dates were for 2012, not 2013, so there is hope that there may be another 'real' DW book in the works. And the word "Complete" may be more of a marketing ploy meant to suggest it covers the books created since the last version.

But, given that Pterry seems to be more focused on spinoffs, children's books ("The World of Poo") and non-DW books written in collaboration with others, it does seem that DW series--at least with Pterry at the helm--may be approaching an end. As others have said, ISWM and Snuff both do have a kind of "valedictory" feel to them, as if they're bringing a character's evolution to a point where there's not much more that can be done with it.

If it was his intention to kind of "close off" these series, you'd think he'd have to write three final novels to cover the Witches, Susan and Moist. But whether he feels compelled to do this or write any other DW novel only he knows. From what I've read he's 'bequeathed' eventual continuation of the series to his daughter. This is not a promising development, but I'll read the first one she does with an open mind but low expectations.
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm

raisindot wrote: From what I've read he's 'bequeathed' eventual continuation of the series to his daughter. This is not a promising development, but I'll read the first one she does with an open mind but low expectations.

:o I didn't know that!
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Pooh's going to his pit now. :dance:

How's the Rush Limbaugh/slut comment progressing? Last I read 7 advertisers had pulled. :lol: :lol: :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby author3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
raisindot wrote: From what I've read he's 'bequeathed' eventual continuation of the series to his daughter. This is not a promising development, but I'll read the first one she does with an open mind but low expectations.

:o I didn't know that!

Me neither.If it does happen I'll be very interested to see what happens to the series with a new writer :)
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby michelanCello » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

I don't want a new writer :cry:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:46 pm

raisindot wrote:
This is not a promising development, but I'll read the first one she does with an open mind but low expectations.

...always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves!

Whatever Mr P wants is fine. Discworld has taken up about 30 years of his life, maybe he'd like to try and do some new things, maybe try out some ideas he's been putting off. While he still can.

and who knows, maybe his daughter will bring a fresh perspective and put a bit of life back into the series, which, frankly, has been getting a little stale.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Oh this BLOODY simul saver protocol - just lost my post :angry-screaming:

OK - can't vote for the would-be Republican nominations because I know nothing about any of them and don't wish to because Obama ought to win a second term and actually earn his Nobel Prize :roll:

As for Rhianna - well I know I read an article about that recently on a link from here where Terry said that she could carry on with it 'if she wants to'. So if he's OK with it and she wants to then what's so bad about that? Frank Herbert's and Anne McCaffrey's sons carried on their respective serials and have done well so why not Rhianna?

There's definitely going to be one more Science of the Discworld - Jack Cohen said there would be at the Irish Con and in the car to Ennystymon that I shared with him, his latest lady Seph (Persephone :P ) and Jacqueline Simpson he was saying about an outline already being written although it would probably change vastly depending on how many times they ended up in the pub with Terry and Rob :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Don't know enough about the US political situation and can't be bothered, to tell you the truth.

Interesting about the Complete Companion, 'cos then I'll have the full set! :clap:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books