books youve never finished

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: books youve never finished

Postby deldaisy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:49 pm

I read the original Robinson Crusoe. Liked it... but as with all books I think sometimes they need to be read when they need to be read. I would never go back and reread some things I liked in my teens. And there are some things I would read now that I wouldnt have read then.

Bit like men really........ right book, wrong time. ;)
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am

I don't know if I've already said it, but I've tried to read Needful Things by Stephen King more than once, and never got through all of it. Last time I tried hard and read 216 pages out of 768... then I gave up. Thing is, the story is intriguing, this strange man selling "things that you need, that are precious to you", that other people would consider junk but for someone is worth doing anything in order to have it. But I find King's writing kind of boring :oops:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:18 am

Wintersmith is the first not finished that comes to my head.
non discworld Rebellion by james mcgee can't focus on reading at the moment
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby raisindot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 pm

The Bible. I guess I'm just not into religious fiction. :lol:
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:41 pm

raisindot wrote:The Bible. I guess I'm just not into religious fiction. :lol:

Yeah, i prefer the tv version myself :lol:

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:I don't know if I've already said it, but I've tried to read Needful Things by Stephen King more than once, and never got through all of it. Last time I tried hard and read 216 pages out of 768... then I gave up. Thing is, the story is intriguing, this strange man selling "things that you need, that are precious to you", that other people would consider junk but for someone is worth doing anything in order to have it. But I find King's writing kind of boring :oops:

I got through that one, but I agree. He goes off on tangents that could be entire books themselves. It gets tiresome.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ziriath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:11 am

Don Quijote (I just couldn't read further about that hopeless guy)
John Irving:World according to Garp (maybe I just have to be a middle-aged guy to understand it?)
Remarque: Arch of Victory (It was the moment, when I realised all the Remarque books (except Am Westen Nichts Neues) are basically the same.
Some books from New weird edition (too much of unnecessary violence and sex) and some other fantasy and scifi books, their names I do not know in original (Mary-Sue phenomenon)
Lord of the Rings: I have bought all the trilogy, but I realised the style is very...indigestible and constructed. No wonder Terry makes fun of it.
Ziriath

Postby Paranye » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

Ziriath wrote:Don Quijote (I just couldn't read further about that hopeless guy)
John Irving:World according to Garp (maybe I just have to be a middle-aged guy to understand it?)
Remarque: Arch of Victory (It was the moment, when I realised all the Remarque books (except Am Westen Nichts Neues) are basically the same.
Some books from New weird edition (too much of unnecessary violence and sex) and some other fantasy and scifi books, their names I do not know in original (Mary-Sue phenomenon)
Lord of the Rings: I have bought all the trilogy, but I realised the style is very...indigestible and constructed. No wonder Terry makes fun of it.

I very nearly didn't finish Lord of the Rings myself; took me three tries. It's difficult and inaccessible. It makes the reader do all the hard work to connect with it. But when you do finally make that connection, it's absolutely worth it. It's a whole universe contained within a single text. That's what makes it so dense, if you know what I mean. I've read it eight times now and I still see new things every time. I think I could read it eighty times and my imagination would still have ample space to wander around all the gaps, all the people and events and places he could only briefly mention or hint at because he didn't have the room to expand on them. The only thing I can compare it to, in terms of scope and depth - and even that ponderous, majestic, beautiful, barely readable prose - would be the Bible (which I have read but wasn't as keen on; not enough battles with orcs).
Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
Paranye

Postby Willem » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Paranye wrote:would be the Bible (which I have read but wasn't as keen on; not enough battles with orcs).

:mrgreen: :D :lol:
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
raisindot wrote:The Bible. I guess I'm just not into religious fiction. :lol:

Yeah, i prefer the tv version myself :lol:

:lol: :clap:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby meerkat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm

I put my hand up and admit it. Nation. :shock:

Yes, yes, I know, a Sir T production, but I just have trouble getting beyond about page 50 and then I can't read any more of it. I have even tried on a train but fdound there was far more interesting things going on iun the carriage and so it remained unread.

You might, or even might not, be happy to know I still intend trying to read it through from cover to cover, but I find it very hard going. Dark Side of the Sun was far easier than Nation!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm

meerkat wrote:I put my hand up and admit it. Nation. :shock:

Yes, yes, I know, a Sir T production, but I just have trouble getting beyond about page 50 and then I can't read any more of it. I have even tried on a train but fdound there was far more interesting things going on iun the carriage and so it remained unread.

You might, or even might not, be happy to know I still intend trying to read it through from cover to cover, but I find it very hard going. Dark Side of the Sun was far easier than Nation!

I found Nation quite hard going as well.I just never found a part in that book that made me want to finish it but I forced myself to and I'm glad I did. ;)
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Glad it's just not me then. Thanks, Author, perhaps I should try it once again. Maybe not just yet, but soon..ish.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 am

meerkat wrote:Glad it's just not me then. Thanks, Author, perhaps I should try it once again. Maybe not just yet, but soon..ish.

I doubt I'll ever bother reading it again.
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Toothy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:34 am

Around Ireland With a Fridge. I managed to keep up with the author for the first leg of his journey, but didn't have the stamina to finish and left him thumbing a lift on the Northern Ireland border. :oops:
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books