Disturbing Trend in UA and Snuff: **Major Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Disturbing Trend in UA and Snuff: **Major Spoilers**

Postby high eight » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:03 pm

LilMaibe wrote:high eight, I can only ask this of you:
If you truly believe, that Sir Terry is the first person in the history of fantasy fiction to go and try to redeem the race of orcs from the clichés people have of them, please, go and play the Warcraft RealTimeStrategy Games and, even if you might think the books that go with the series 'fanfiction', read them too.
Warcraft is only one example of people going and cast a new light on orcs. Maybe it is even the most popular example.

If you don't like RTS-Games, perhaps the book-series 'The Orcs' by Stan Nicholls is something more of your taste.

I very much doubt if Terry plays Warcreft.

I started reading The Orcs and gave up after about two chapters. Nicholls just can't write, imo.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:28 pm

I never claimed Sir Terry plays Warcraft. What I do claim though, is that he by far isn't the first or only person to try and portray this one fantasy race in a less negative light.
But as I said, please play the games and, perhaps, read the books first.
LilMaibe

Postby high eight » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 pm

LilMaibe wrote:I never claimed Sir Terry plays Warcraft. What I do claim though, is that he by far isn't the first or only person to try and portray this one fantasy race in a less negative light.
But as I said, please play the games and, perhaps, read the books first.

Sorry, but Warcraft doesn't sound very interesting to me. I have friends who are absolutely obsessed by it, (and, come to think of it, one of them is an orc) but I just cannot raise any interest myself. (And I don't think my computer is good enough anyway).
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 am

No, no. Not World of Warcraft. That's the MMORPG (and honestly the formerly nice story there went down the drain. Pity).
Warcraft 1-3 are, as said, RealTimeStrategy Games that, well, if you can use this forum your computer should be able to run them.
LilMaibe

Postby high eight » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 am

LilMaibe wrote:No, no. Not World of Warcraft. That's the MMORPG (and honestly the formerly nice story there went down the drain. Pity).
Warcraft 1-3 are, as said, RealTimeStrategy Games that, well, if you can use this forum your computer should be able to run them.

Strategy games certainly sound more interesting. I might actually have a look.
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 am

Have fun.
The first game might be a bit screwy (controlswise etc) but 2 and especially 3 are excellent.
LilMaibe

Postby =Tamar » Tue May 22, 2012 5:02 am

Ziriath wrote:Some things were canonised in novels, after the non-canon materials were made.
Vetinari's beard, for example. It wasn't mentioned in the older Discworlds. I think almost nobody, even The Author, knew how to exactly imagine V., before the Kidby's illustrations were released.

Terry has said that as soon as he saw Stephen Briggs play Vetinari on stage, Vetinari had a beard because Stephen Briggs has one. I believe it is the same with the dark hair. Stephen was playing Vetinari long before Kidby began illlustrating Discworld.

Ziriath wrote:Or Vimes. We do not know anything about his appearance, do we? He lacks any description. And still we would not know, if there weren't the illustrations.

Terry has said that he always imagines Vimes looking like a younger Pete Postlethwaite, despite how many other people (including Kidby) visualize Vimes as a Dirty Harry type. Neither of the descriptions, Vetinari nor Vimes, is in the books but I believe Terry's statements.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 am

=Tamar, have you seen the version of Vimes in the Where's My Cow book? He looks very much like Pete Postlethwaite in there. :D

This picture is not great, but it's the best I could find on Google. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:52 pm

I thought Terry always pictured a young Alan Rickman? :?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 22, 2012 6:08 pm

No, he's definitely mentioned Pete Postlethwaite (although not Obadiah Hakeswill). :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I thought Terry always pictured a young Alan Rickman? :?

That would be Vetinari, I think ;)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby raptornx01 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 pm

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby =Tamar » Thu May 31, 2012 2:28 am

Tonyblack wrote:=Tamar, have you seen the version of Vimes in the Where's My Cow book? He looks very much like Pete Postlethwaite in there. :D

Yes, I bought it in D.C. at the first stop on the USA signing tour for Thud, where the crowd bought out the shop's supply of both books and then bought out the supply of the other bookshop down the street.

I like the fact that there are three stories going on at the same time in Where's My Cow: the official one, the one Vimes makes up, and the one in the pictures that is apparently going on inside young Sam's head, where everything in the room is alive and flying around.
=Tamar

Previous

Return to Latest books